Elation or Glory? Help needed, husband deploying..

navywife06

Hi to all.

I am booking a trip for my husband, myself and 9 year old son. It's a big trip for us, being my husband will be leaving to go overseas for 6 months a few weeks after our return. So, I want to make it great, which it seems that Carnival takes a lot of that work off of my hands. But, I am torn between two trips. Or should I say ships?

The Elation's 7 night eastern Caribbean cruise has great destinations. The Glory 7 night Eastern Caribbean is a newer ship with a specialty restaurant.

Because my husband will be away for so long and in such a horrible place, I'd like to make it the best that I can for him, so in other words, I'd like our son to have lots of things to keep him busy!! I'm not sure that there is a big difference in activities on either ship.

I'm not sure that the "newness" of the ship matters. I need help in deciding!

Pricing isn't a factor, we were given a great price for both ships. The Glory is $100 more.

Thanks so much in advance.....

We were on the Glory a few years ago and LOVED her. We had an aft cabin with a wrap around balcony. I think it was a 9A on the Empress deck. The staff was great.....at least back then. But liked her size......Good LUck and

God Speed for your husband. Thank him for fighting for our country!!!!!

Barbara

Macwoman

Amen, tell your husband thanks!

I personally like bigger and newer ships. I've never been on a smaller Carnival ship (Conquest, Victory and now Valor in 6 days) but I've been on a smaller RCCL ships and while it's nice, I like the bigger ones better. Your son will have camp Carnival in either place but I would imagine the room and such is much bigger on the Glory.

My FMIL & FFIL went on the Glory a couple of years ago (I think that's what it was) and loved it :)

But I'm really partial to the bigger ships and I'd say the $100 is worth it.

WESTPAC, Gulf or MED? I can tell you where to tell HIM to go get the best post deployment pressies either way. hehheheheh.

Having never been on a cruise before( first one is in under 2 weeks).. I say go for the one with the specialty restaurant. Great way to have some quality alone time before he runs off to save the universe.

Oh, and start saving now for your POST deployment cruise getaway..I have been warned by nearly everyone that I will get addicted.:D Actually, this is our post deployment cruise.. too bad he got back from deployment in '04 and it's taken us this long to be able to take leave....:rolleyes:

I'm in a similar situation...hubby is deploying next spring, so we are going to take a nice vacation this fall before all the hoopla starts to get this deployment going.

We booked on the Glory...its a big ship, ports we have already done and are looking forward to going back to, the rate is EXCELLENT, and hubby wanted the specialty restaurant again (we LOVED Nick and Nora's on the Miracle).

Enjoy your trip and from one spouse to another, hang in there!

Stef

thanks to all for your replies..

It's funny that there are other navy wive's planning cruises.. I thought it would be nuts to book a cruise before my husband is on ship for 6 months, but he is all for it. It was his idea actually...

My husband will be going to the Gulf. I've heard the same thing about the cruise addiction, but I think it sounds like an awesome addiction!

My husband is in work-ups now, so when he gets back from Nevada in a few weeks we'll start on our excursion planning. He's into scuba.

I think that we are going to pick the Elation after all of this. The ports are more of what we are looking for. I really wanted the bigger boat and the specialty restaurant, but I think overall the Elation is the better choice for us....this time!!

thanks to all for your replies..

It's funny that there are other navy wive's planning cruises.. I thought it would be nuts to book a cruise before my husband is on ship for 6 months, but he is all for it. It was his idea actually...

My husband will be going to the Gulf. I've heard the same thing about the cruise addiction, but I think it sounds like an awesome addiction!

My husband is in work-ups now, so when he gets back from Nevada in a few weeks we'll start on our excursion planning. He's into scuba.

I think that we are going to pick the Elation after all of this. The ports are more of what we are looking for. I really wanted the bigger boat and the specialty restaurant, but I think overall the Elation is the better choice for us....this time!!

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the size of Elation. It is my absolute favorite class of ships. It just seems more "open". You can see the sea from everywhere. For me personally, the Glory is the worst laid out ship I have been on. It is crowded everywhere. JMO, though, depends on who you ask!;)

Thank you for your husband! Have a great trip.

the Emerald room on the Glory is amazing, both meals we had there were just outstanding. Glory is a beautiful ship and we didn't have a hard time getting around on it, it was our first cruise so we expected a little friendlier staff, probably cause they call themselves a "funship" we thought much of the staff to be rather "crabby" but other than that it was a great vacation, so much that I'm booked on her again this fall, this time with my sister on a midlife crisis sorta of trip ;)

Archived