Breweries in London

We have three days in London post-cruise in July. My DH is what I call a beer-connisuer and he would love to visit some actual breweries. Do any comeparticularly recommended? I understand Guinness closed its London brewery a few years ago, which is a shame. When searching online I found a lot of pubs that brew their own ales, but we are looking more for tours of the actual brewing facilities, along with tasting of course! :)

Maria

I think that the two big breweries in the London area are Fuller's, in Chiswick, and Young's, in Wandsworth. Neither of these is in central London, as you'd expect these days. Here's a selection of webpages that will help point you in the right direction:-

My brother and I thoroughly enjoyed the Fuller's brewery tour. http://www.fullers.co.uk/ We waited for the tour in the brewery pub with an excellent pint; had an enthusiastic tour guide; interesting fellow tourists; and a generous sampling of their ales at the end.

Their website had good directions via tube to their Chiswick brewery. The brewery is right on the Thames. We walked downstream to the Hammersmith tube station with a stop in the Dove pub. It was a great way for a couple of real ale lovers to spend and afternoon. If you are not a beer lover let dh go on his own or with the boys.

Thanks to all of you for the excellent recommendations! MyDH definitely wants to visit Fuller's and he is going to look at the webpages as well. I don't mind a nice pint once in awhile, though the idea of being let loose to shop in London on my own while my husband drinks beers sounds VERY appealing! :)

Maria

• 2 weeks later...

This brewery is due close in October 2006 after a merger. It is only a short train trip out of Waterloo to Wandsworth Town station, then a five minute walk to the Brewery in Ram Street. This brewery still delivers to local pubs by shire horse and dray. After a brewery trip there is the tap room where the products are to be tasted(best place a get a good ale). The shires are stabled in the brewery yard and they also draw the the Lord Mayor of London(city) coach. Get there before the re-develop the site, last chance saloon.:cool:

Archived