What Shape is the Zuiderdam In?

blueboro

My wife and I have been on 11 cruises and have sailed RCCL (Radiance & Voyager class), X (Century & Millenium class) and Carnival (Spirit class) in recent years. We were on an October 2005 Caribbean cruise on the Zuiderdam. While we were very impressed with the food and service, we were disappointed at the shape the Z was in. There was broken glass in shop windows, carpeting in many areas held together with duct tape, stained carpeting, elevator panels with graffiti and scratches, and the ever popular holes in the hallways.

I am looking to recommend a cruise for relatives and based on service and food there is no question I would recommend the Z. However, if the ship is still in the same state of disrepair, I would think twice about my recommendation. Thanks for any info you can give me.

There was broken glass in shop windows, carpeting in many areas held together with duct tape, stained carpeting, elevator panels with graffiti and scratches, and the ever popular holes in the hallways.

I was on the Zuiderdam in March of this year and did not notice any of the issues you mention. The entire SOE enhancements have NOT been completed yet; they were still using Royal Dutch toiletries and there were no flat screen TVs, and the beds have not yet been upgraded, as some of the other ships. Everything was still in 'good shape' however. I would recommend the 'Z'.

...snip... We were on an October 2005 Caribbean cruise on the Zuiderdam. While we were very impressed with the food and service, we were disappointed at the shape the Z was in. There was broken glass in shop windows, carpeting in many areas held together with duct tape, stained carpeting, elevator panels with graffiti and scratches, and the ever popular holes in the hallways...
We sailed her in November, and aside from the infamous potholes, did not notice any of the disrepair you mentioned. December's drydock should have seen the completion of the SOE enhancements, but even though these are not yet fully installed, we will have another wonderful cruise in November. I'm sure you can comfortably recommend her to your friends/relatives, keeping in mind that over 400,000 passengers have sailed her, and there are bound to be spills and such. Her excellent service far outweighs any little nit-picky negatives.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess <-- sailing her for the 7th time in November

What are these "potholes in the corridors" people are referring to? I've never heard of such a thing???:confused:
Concrete for the corridor flooring was mixed with seawater instead of fresh, and after 3 years had started to break up. It's like walking on a carpeted rocky beach, and very difficult for wheelchairs & scooters.

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

I was on the Zuiderdam in March of this year and did not notice any of the issues you mention. The entire SOE enhancements have NOT been completed yet; they were still using Royal Dutch toiletries and there were no flat screen TVs, and the beds have not yet been upgraded, as some of the other ships. Everything was still in 'good shape' however. I would recommend the 'Z'.

She STILL doesnt' have the new beds???

:confused:

I thought they were installed in Norfolk?

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Zuiderdam last February and rebooked for 2007. We were sort of worried given some of the comments we'd read but we didn't notice any of the duct tape or broken areas. The colors were bright, the carpets were colorful and of course the service and food were wonderful. We found our bedding and bed to be really comfortable so maybe I'm not understanding what new beds are being anticipated. However we rebooked and loved the Zuiderdam. What are the new beds? :) margretha

Archived