For Those Who Have Done Panama Canal and Caribbean

SantaAna,CA

Hi, I'm looking for some honest opinions about a Panama canal cruise. I was on the Seabourn Legend in April for two weeks, a very port intensive cruise in the Eastern Caribbean, which I enjoyed, because I like to scuba dive.

I'm considering a Panama Canal cruise on Seabourn, but unsure whether I'd find it interesting enough to give up so many "diving" days, that another Caribbean cruise might have, if you know what I mean. For those that have cruised both, Caribbean and Panama Canal, may I have your honest assessment of the canal cruise? Was it really that interesting? Thanks so much!

Jane :)

Jane,

We have done several Caribbean cruises and one Panama Canal cruise, on the Windstar. We enjoy scuba diving, but don't dive at every port.

The Atlantic ports of Costa Rica and Panama are not known for their diving. Depending on the time of year, visibility can be poor due to run-off from the rivers in this area. I have not been to the more northern ports like Belize, but I know the diving is fantastic there.

The Pacific side of the canal has some diving, but it is different than the Caribbean. Most of the ports are more known for large schools of fish and/or large sea animals. (We saw several nurse sharks on our Playa del Coco, Costa Rica, dive last year.)

Having said that, we enjoyed our trip through the canal. Our ship employed a guide who spoke throughout the day on the various sites and their history as we sailed. We participated in more on-land excursions during the rest of the cruise than we would normally do, and less in the water. Before the trip, I read David McCollough's The Path Between the Seas. (Don't know how to underline here,:) )

If you want to dive every day, this may not be your best cruise. If you're interested in a trip with history, engineering, wildlife above the water, and new experiences, you will love it.

Beth

Archived