If I were not upon the Sea.......

Host Mama

One of the big advantages to me when cruising is getting a taste of different islands, different ports, different cultures.

So....my question is...

How any of you have fallen in love with a port to the extent that you have gone back and spent an extended land vacation there?

Host Mama

Mama Sez......A little bit doesnt always go a long ways:-) Sometimes you just want more....like chocolate:-)

Hi Mama -

My favorite ports (so far) are St. Maarten and Barbados. I will probably not take an extended land vacation soon because I travel for a living - so air, hotel and restaurants are too much like work!!:o

But, if I had to pick I think I could stay in St. Maarten for a week or so and have a wonderful time!!

For me, the answer to your question is Maui. I have been to all the Hawaiian Islands and every once in awhile think it might be pleasant to take the HAL cruise out of San Diego round trip to Hawaii since it wouldn't involve flying and we love cruising. But then I realize we would only get one day on Maui, and I begin to realize I would be too tempted to jump ship and just stay there! We usually stay at a Kaanapali Beach resort hotel for a week, sometimes two, and enjoy driving the island, trying different beaches for snorkling, spending time in Lahaina, and even four-wheeling through the interior. Just talking about it is making me want to go.

Ventura girl.....

We did the 15 day cruise from LA to LA on Island Princess this past January, and it was wonderful. We absolutely love the sea days, and we liked the idea of having a shorter flight to the West Coast. Maui is on our short list of places to go back to and spend a land vacation. The other place we discovered on a cruise is Waikaloa Village on the big island. We have done I think 4 cruises to Hawaii, and one land on Oahu. We always have combined a pre cruise in Honolulu with the cruise., when the cruise originated there. I wish there were a cruise originating in Maui. Id be there in a heart beat:-) Maybe we could talk one of the lines into just basing a ship there. Cruise at night, and dock there during the day. Now that would be heaven. Kinda like a cruise to nowhere.

Host Mama ( who loves cruising and exploring new places)

Have vacationed on St Lucia, Barbados, St Maarten, St Thomas, Granada, Aruba and 3 of the Hawaiian Islands...Oahu, Maui, and the big island. Found things to thoroughly enjoy on all of them!!!!! Would not go back to Hawaii for a vacation simply because we live in Florida and it is so much easier to get to the Caribbean Islands. If I had to chose one, I would chose 2...Aruba and St Lucia

We were on St Lucia for two weeks on a great beach. Had a car the first week and toured the Island. Gave up the car the second week as we had 9 restaurants within walking distance. Had a condo, so we could eat breakfast and lunch there.

Aruba was wonderful. Beautiful beaches and interesting scenery...it's like a desert in many areas. It is also the most prosperous of any of the islands on which we have stayed. You just didn't find the poverty that you find on most of the islands.

Mocorobabe

• 2 weeks later...
I flew to St. Thomas a few months after my first cruise. I loved being there, and the time was much too short. I rented a little villa, and stayed 10 days! Ahhhhh.

Hi Cotton - this is a thread hijack - sorry everyone - I have been wanting to ask you a question, but was hesitant to ask on the other more popular threads. I noticed that you have sailed on the older, smaller ships. I am taking my family this week for their first cruise (mom, stepdad, DD and her DSO) on the Fantasy. I have never sailed in a cabin with no balcony:o and I am a smoker:o :o . I am spoiled, I know. I have an OV on the Fantasy. Will I be miserable or is the ventilation ok in the cabins? This is a 4 night cruise so I just could not justify the cost of a suite since I will be solo.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

• 1 year later...
I flew to St. Thomas a few months after my first cruise. I loved being there, and the time was much too short. I rented a little villa, and stayed 10 days! Ahhhhh.

we too went back to st john after a cruise and stayed in a villa for a week, we have also gone to cozumel three times you haven't lived until you spend sunday night in the town square in cozumel lol kathy

I am now a widow so I would not choose a land vacation - just a cruise. However my late husband and I vacationed in Xtapa for 2 weeks at a 5 star hotel and throughly enjoyed. The hotel was on the beach and it was like a giant cruise ship. We had visited this port twice before on Panama Canal cruises. We found it too difficult to fly to the Carribean from the west coast of Canada but Mexico was easier. Have fun.:)

Archived