Cost of water taxi?

CBCit

The charge is $5 for a bracelet that lets you ride the water taxi all day long. The water taxi loops from the Wathey ship pier to the downtown pier, then to Bobby's marina pier and finally back to the Wathey pier. This is the appropiate choice if you go shopping at P-Burg, then back to the ship to deposit your goodies and eat lunch and then go back to P-Burg again.

Now that the cabs and tour buses operate from the Wathey pier, the water taxi is not a good choice if you are going exploring or taking a tour.

The water taxi fleet are the old boats used back in the days when there was no pier and passengers tendered in.

The Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria live on.

It's been a couple of years, but I believe that it was $3.00 one way or $5.00 for a day pass wristband.

Route is between the Cruise facility and Little Pier in downtown Philipsburg with a stop at Bobby's Marina.

gary

• 2 months later...
Thought I heard there is a beach when you get off? Anybody know?

If you get off at the Town pier, it is a very short walk to Great Bay beach. This is good if you just want to sit and sun and watch the ships and harbor. I wouldn't do it if you intend to go swimming since the water taxis with their old diesels run all day and there is other small boat traffic. I can't imagine the water being as good as the other beaches.

.... I can't imagine the water being as good as the other beaches.

You're right on in your assessment. Great Bay is wonderful to look at, but I would NEVER step foot into it. First off, any Bay doesn't not have good circulation of the water so you get accumulations of pollutants which degrade water quality. Petroleum products, petrochemicals, heavy metals , fecal coliform and biotoxins to name a few. But most importantly it is an industrialized commercial port, the largest on the island. Add in run off and sanitary sewage issues and you've got a risk of health issues.

Then too the beach is man-made with imported, large grain sand. So unless you just want to sit on the beach, watch the world go by and grab a few rays it ranks very low compared to the other 35 beaches on the island.

Very important to know that!

So, from there, what beach would be the closest taxi ride, and do you know how much? Is it more economical to just get a taxi from the ship and forget about the watertaxi?

Take a taxi from the pier to Orient, at Pedros. In a large group of 4 or more (and the drivers will gather a group) it costs $ 5.00 pp one way. The best beach on the island with the best scenery :D :D :D

Archived