Panama Canal Excursions

maynovmom

Any good recommendations through Carnival (and not too) for Panama Canal visits? I see Carnival has one option for 7 hours and a lot of $$. Has anyone taken it or used another tour for that? We have til next spring but that is something we definitely want to see. I'd love to hear from others who have experienced it.

We visited Colon in early February 2005 aboard the Legend. We were a family group of 17. Five of us wanted to see the sights but were a bit put-off by the prices. We decided to invetigate the hoard of cabs available at the port. Were we ever glad we did.

We hired a new van with cold air-conditioning owned by a delightful young man. He took us to the Gatun locks, Portobello and a city tour; all told, about four hours for $150.

This picture was of our group and our driver at the Gatun locks.

498059809CfPUOJ_ph.jpg

This one is in Portobello.

498048183wgtTYj_ph.jpg

The driver owned three cabs at that time and his English is excellent as he lived in the USA for several years. I have his e-mail address somewhere if you are interested but you can easily do as we did, just check out the vehicles first and agree on the fare up-front.

Even though it was not on Carnival but on Princess we took the one that was called Ocean toOcean where it was a 7 hr trip that went from the Atlantic side to the Pacific Ocean side and even though it was alot of money I would highly recommend it. You were able to be on a 200 passenger ship when you went through the pacific ocean side locks. There is a world of difference being on a big ship and a smaller ship going through the locks. Also I heard that the Indian excursion was very good too, I cannot remember the name but it started with an End(sp) name of the indians. Do some search on this forum. You may have to go back a few pages but there is a wealth of info here.

marilyn

Archived