Hyatt Pier 66 vs Fort Lauderdale Grande

smceown

I think I have read every thread on Fort Lauderdale hotels and I am narrowing my choice down to these two.

Which is a better pick? The prices in March are high for both of them, a little higher for Pier 66 but not too much, especially if it is a far superior hotel.

I care about location, pool, and nice room with comfy beds!

I am inclined towards Pier 66 but a little uneasy about some negative reviews on Trip Advisor - however as per other threads we should take those with a grain of salt. Also I read the food is very expensive there, so wondered if it was a good location with other restaurants available. So then I swing the other way towards the Grande!

Interested in hearing from anyone that knows both these hotels. Thanks

I'm partial to the Hyatt Pier 66. Situated on 22 acres it has one of the nicest pools in Ft. Lauderdale and probably the largest hot tub of any resort around.

The Hyatt has gone through a multi million dollar renovation that is nearly complete. I like the ground level Lanai rooms in the gardens with the flat panel LCD tv's but the Tower rooms offer spectacular views.

Yes, food is expensive at the Hyatt. Foods pricey at the Grande as well. The Hyatt poolside restaurant is fairly reasonable though and the food is very good. (try the ahi tuna salad) The water taxi stops at the Hyatt so that opens up a wide range of dining options at any one of the water taxi stops.

I've stayed at the Grande when it was the Marriott. Nice enough hotel can't say anything bad about it. I prefer the layout of the hotel and grounds at the Hyatt. When sitting around the pool if you didn't know better you'd think you were in a caribbean resort. ;)

I stayed at the Hyatt prior to the renovations and we loved it. The pool was incredible and the hot tub was worth it. Waterfalls in the pools and the walk up bar right there. We ate on the grounds at the Pelican Grill and truly had one of the best cheeseburgers ever. We were on a patio overlooking the waterway and multimillion dollar yachts. They will transport you there on a golf cart if you ask, because as Bequia told you it is a large resort. We stayed in the Lanai building and overlooked the pool and had a very large room with no problems at all. I am probably going to stay here again in January 2008 even though our Freedom cruise leaves from Miami. The location to the pier is excellent, just over the bridge. Less than 5 minutes with a store right across the street if you need to pick anything up on the way. There are taxis onsite to take you over as well.

I am looking for the exact same thing.

Does anyone know if there is a liquor store near by? We are going down two days prior to our cruise and I would like a nice place as well. Pier 66 sounds like the place. I also was concerned about the reviews on TripAdvisor.

Thanks!

One of our cc friends stayed at the Hyatt prior to her cruise on May 13th. She had a tower room and said it was fabulous. A bit pricey, but you pay for what you get. The sky is the limit on my cruise. I deserve it.:D

Can anyone tell me if you book online will your credit card be charged right away or only upon check-in?

Usually when you check in. As with most hotels nowadays, If you don't check in and didn't cancel your reservations, you will be charged for the room.

We just stayed at the Pier 66 in room 1366, one of the very best rooms going...the morning of the cruise we awakened as the lights of the cruise ships began appearing over the horizon. We immediatly ordered room service and sat at a lovely table watching as the lights came closer and closer while sipping coffee and eating a lovely breakfast...finally all the ships were in and it was so much fun seeing if our guesses were correct as to which ship we thought the lights belonged to and which ship it actually was. What a wonderful way to start embarkation day.

And you do NOT pay for the room on your card UNTIL you check in.

rev_thoughtsndreams_QK1.jpg

• 1 month later...

The only danger of booking on Priceline is that you probably won't get a tower room at Pier 66. The hotel desk told me yesterday that there are NO discounts on tower rooms - they are priced at $345US plus tax plus the $12 resort fee per day (for the time I was requesting). We have stayed there twice - it was okay - but certainly not worth $345US - no luxury at all. It was more like a $150 room to us. I have stayed in the older garden view area (it wasn't that old when I stayed there) but for security reasons - I prefer being higher up. We stayed in the Tower room last April for our wedding/honeymoon and they were quite rude at the desk and did nothing to celebrate our special occasion (no congrats, no wine sent up etc. where most places would have acknowledged this or upgraded us). A couple of days before we arrived - a homicide occurred on their property - they found a guy's body outside one of the garden rooms - kinda scary to us. Don't get me wrong - the grounds and pool are nice and Grill 66 is a very good restaurant. We just expected a little more for our money. I was there twice before in the early 90's and the property seemed to have gone a bit downhill since then. Maybe the renovations will improve the place. If you can get it on Priceline for around $90 - it is worth it, but try and request the tower if possible.

Stayed in a tower room there in Jan. Got it thru priceline for $150. They were still doing renovations at that time so there was construction debris out on our balcony and the hallway carpets were worn and stained.

Pool area was open then and it is very nice. The lanai rooms are quite a bit closer to the pool if that is an issue for you. From what we could see form the outside, they appeared nice. The beneift of the tower room was that we overlooked the port and could see a couple of the cruise ships.

It is quite a hike from the main part of the hotel to the pelican grill and if you have any accessibility issues, it is up a steep flight of stairs and there is no elevator. Your basic $14 burger but that is to be expected in a property of this sort.

Had atrocious service in the restaurant the morning of the cruise and it was quite pricy as well. No manager of that area to be found (an all too common experience in many restaurants these days) and when we complained at the front desk we got a "gee we're sorry" but nothing more.

At $150 it was fine. At $300 + I'd certainly expect more.

Anyone have any recent experience at the old Marriott? Seeing prices under $200 there for Oct and thought we might give it a try.

A last thought.. what the heck is the deal with these resort fees these days? It's a rip off. At the price point these hotels are getting you should EXPECT those sorts of amenities, not pay extra for them. What's next, an upcharge for a SEAT on the airplane?

Be honest and build all charges into the rate quoted, it's bad enough all the taxes and fees they add on. Kind of underhanded to advertise a room for $250 and end up charging you $300 for it.. JMHO

My vote goes to Hyatt Pier 66! We stayed there in April prior to our Coral cruise. It was our first time, but definitely not our last! We, too, were concerned because of the negative reviews on trip advisor, but we booked anyway and are so happy we did! We were in Room 1369 in the tower and had a FANTASTIC view. It was pricy, but the view was well worth it! We are booked there again next year and requested the same room! Here is a link to some pictures that I took of the Hyatt Pier 66. Hope it helps: http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=550233220&security=BPGqLT

Your pictures are beautiful. I took some also on the 4th of July stay.

http://community.webshot.com/user/lindanick101

Mine are not nearly as nice as yours, mine is a little bit of a different view.

I just think to park ($15 a day self parking) is way too much. They have plenty of spaces. I believe its $18 a day to valet park. Then breakfast $37 for two. Be careful they already add the tip in. That was a plain breakfast. 2 eggs with bacon. No juice, just coffee. No one was in there eating. That shows you something. They use to have a bed and breakfast rate, but I guess thats gone. Then they add the $12 a day resort fee.

Its such a shame they have taken this turn to be so expensive. I know I cannot afford it any more. Last year I had a family reunion there. Summer time and the garden rooms were $95 per night including breakfast. The place was packed. It might have been two years ago. I think they forget that they are not a beach property. I still love the place but I know I can't go anymore. The revolving room on the top is now closed to the public except for private funtions. I always loved that room. Everyone did. Too many changes going on there.

Archived