Howard Johnson - Galveston

blt2006

Hello blt....we stayed at the HJ a couple of years ago before our cruise. We just wanted a place to lay our heads and to park our car. I think we payed 99.00 and the parking is free. The hotel is clean, but nothing fancy. I do believe they had a continenal breakfast, but we didn't eat. The manager was really nice and informative about the area. There are no restaurants in the area, only a gas station next door, which was good for snacks. The only problem we encountered is that train tracks run behind the hotel and of course the trains came through during the night. In a pinch we would stay there again. Hope this helps! :)

Where is the HoJo's in Galveston?

HJ is located on 8216 Harborside Dr.....on the same road as the cruise terminal is..just a few miles away. Forgot to mention in my earlier post that we took a taxi to the terminal. One of the best things we ever did. It was wonderful not having to fight the traffic!

Thanks Gina. We'll be driving in late in the evening, and are looking for someplace to crash for a bit. We're both sound sleepers, so don't think the train would bother us too much.

Happy cruising!

HJ is located on 8216 Harborside Dr.....on the same road as the cruise terminal is..just a few miles away. Forgot to mention in my earlier post that we took a taxi to the terminal. One of the best things we ever did. It was wonderful not having to fight the traffic!

I will be staying there in Sept. How much was the taxi to and from the cruise terminal?

Thanks,

Robb

Hi Robb....We used Tropical Taxi and the fare was about 10.00 + tip (each way). I can't remember now what DH gave for a tip, but whatever it was, it was worth it....maybe $5.00. We've always used Tropical Taxi and they've always been very prompt on the times that we needed.

Whatever taxi service you use, my recommendation would be to call several hours in advance and let them know what time you would need a taxi. Depending on how many ships are in port the day you sail, all the taxi service's are really busy. They do apppreciate it when you can call in advance, and they do try to the best of their ability to get to you on time. Like I said, we've always been happy with Tropical Taxi and the drivers are really nice to visit with.

When you return to port there are taxi's lined up outside. Your porter (if you use one) will flag one down for you. Otherwise you'll see them lined up outside the terminal area.

Enjoy your cruise!

Archived