Pictures developing for Digital Camers on HAL

shuttle-c

We just got back from Alaska on the Westerdam on May 28th. During the cruise the photo dept were downloading memory sticks onto CD's for free everyday. They had a sign posted for everyone to see near the photo display area. I don't know if this was just a nice touch on our cruise only or if that is available on all cruises. I had 1 GB, and 2 512 with me and didn't need the service.

Has anyone used HAL to develop their digital pictures. We don't want to bring large amounts of SD memory sticks with us, unless we have to.

Does anyone know the price per picture?

Normally HAL charges between $12 and $15 per CD. The free business in the last post is the first time I have heard of that. I wouldnt count on seeing that every cruise!!:eek:

I wouldn't count on it, either. That's normally a good revenue stream for them. Memory sticks/cards are very reasonable right now, so it might be a good time to pick up some additional memory. By the time you take several cruises and pay the ship to put your pix on a CD, you've paid for the additional memory needed.

Ritz Camera lists 256MB memory cards for only $49.99, 512MB for $79.99. That's a lot of pix.

With a bit of searching, you can surely find a better price at discount stores.

That is way to expensive. I have an ad in front of me for a gig for 24.99!!!!

We have a CD writer, we thought about taking with us. It is meant for digital

phote CD creation, but we are going to Europe for 15 days and was wondering if it was worth the effort to lug it along. Trying to fit 15 days of luggage / clothes into two 50lb suitcases is hard enough.

So HAL won't develop your pictures for you on board? Does anyone know that??

So HAL won't develop your pictures for you on board? Does anyone know that??
I've never seen it offered. By the time the photo staff shoots their stuff in port and onboard and processes that for our review, that leaves little time to process photos from passengers.

So HAL won't develop your pictures for you on board?
Why would you want your photos printed on the ship? Wouldn't you rather carry a few, small memory cards than envelopes of photos? At the very least, get the images from your memory cards transfered to CD's, which you can have done on the ship.

I am confused. When you talk about "developing" digital photos, do you mean "printing" or "backing up". Digital photos are not developed like film photos - that is the beauty of them. We carry thumb drives and back them up on these. Smaller and more convenient than CDs, and we certainly do not want to carry all that paper home if we printed them. Once home we decide what we want hard copies of and either print them ourselves or upload them to Wal*mart for printing.

Why would you want your photos printed on the ship? Wouldn't you rather carry a few, small memory cards than envelopes of photos? At the very least, get the images from your memory cards transfered to CD's, which you can have done on the ship.

Just off the Sea Princess a few months back and utilized their Kodak Kiosk to print out photos for my friends and a few crew members. They appreciated receiving the photos and it brought on some lively chatter and a few laughs. It was well worth the 29 cents a print.

Just off the Sea Princess a few months back and utilized their Kodak Kiosk to print out photos for my friends and a few crew members. They appreciated receiving the photos and it brought on some lively chatter and a few laughs. It was well worth the 29 cents a print.
Having photos made for that purpose is definitely a nice idea. I was thinking that the OP wanted to have photos printed for herself to take home, which doesn't make sense to me.

I am confused. When you talk about "developing" digital photos, do you mean "printing" or "backing up". Digital photos are not developed like film photos - that is the beauty of them. We carry thumb drives and back them up on these. Smaller and more convenient than CDs, and we certainly do not want to carry all that paper home if we printed them. Once home we decide what we want hard copies of and either print them ourselves or upload them to Wal*mart for printing.

I should have said, "printed", not developed. I wanted to bring several of them home right away to show friends, etc. the next morning.

I know you can bring them to wal*mart but was looking for something quick.

Not only do I generally bring my laptop with me, but I have a small photo printer also (4 x 6 prints).That way, not only can I download my pix from my camera/card, but make prints to give as gifts also.

I try to get a pix of each person at my dinner table, then make a print for them as well as get a group photo made on "formal" night also.

We have a CD writer that we might bring, but my DH doesn't want to bring his laptop.

Since we'll be in Europe in hotels part of the 15 days, HE doesnpt want to worry about the laptop. I guess I can't blame him.

Archived