Trip Insurance question?

Andy99

I was comparing travel insurence and noticed a difference im not sure about. I was hoping to hear from someone with suggestions. Some of the policies im looking at offer Primary coverage. This policy will pay you first before any other collectible insurance. This is the more expensive policy. The other one im looking at offers Secondary coverage. This policy will pay you after any other primary collectible insurance has paid the claim and the primary policies limits have been exhausted. This is a cheaper policy.

This secondery thing only applies to the lost baggage and the medical, dental, emergency medical evacuation part of the policy. Is this a big deal? Is it worth the extra money to have the above things covered as Primary instead of secondary? Im finding the whole thing confussing any help would be appreciated! If its secondary what would be my primary my regular health insurance for medical and my homeowners or lost baggage?

:confused:

what should I do?

This secondery thing only applies to the lost baggage and the medical, dental, emergency medical evacuation part of the policy. Is this a big deal? Is it worth the extra money to have the above things covered as Primary instead of secondary? Im finding the whole thing confussing any help would be appreciated! If its secondary what would be my primary my regular health insurance for medical and my homeowners or lost baggage?

:confused:

what should I do?

Does you primary health policy cover you out of the US? Lots of them don't. Does your primary health policy include medical evacuation? Lots of them don't, including Medicare. Evacuation by helicopter is NOT covered by Medicare AND is not covered in our company BC/BC policy (and most BC/BS according to BC/BS). Ambulance is. But on a cruise ship, the ambulance coverage is laughable.

Are you willing to make a claim on your health insurance or homeowner's to cover your expenses? This may result in an increase in premium or even denial of coverage at some point in the future.

Take a look at the Travelex Lite policy. It is primary coverage, has a small death benefit (may help with repatriation of remains-sorry to be morbid), and you can increase the medical appreciably if you feel the need. The fee is usually not too much for the increased insurance.

I purchase this policy every time I leave the US (which is usually about 6-7 times per year-business travel mostly). I feel comfortable with the company, they have paid off my claims very rapidly, and the Lite policy is usually one of the cheaper ones available.

The primary policy will elimate the hassle of first submitting the claim to other policies to be only partially paid or denied and then submitted to the insurance company with all of the backup from those other policies. Primary insurance will usually have you a check in your hands within 2 weeks of it's submittal.:)

him.her the same question. Chances are that lost luggage and medical evacuation is not covered under a standard policy. The Primary insurance is pricey, but I feel it's worth the peace of mind that we have knowing that the big stuff is covered. Nothing, of course, can replace the loss of a loved one, but anything that makes it simplier is welcomed. Our agent is up front and honest about what would be our best choice.

Charlie

Archived