Sugar Cane Train on Maui

postalgrrl

Skip, skip, skip. Probably one of the biggest tourist traps on Maui, IMHO. If you have kids that like riding trains, it might be barely OK ... but even then, there are SO many other better ways to spend time on Maui ...

Spleen

I totally agree with Spleen93.

Our family almost booked on the web last year when we were in Hawaii but decided to see if we wanted to do once we got there. Am I ever glad we did not book prior. Train did not look as nice as on the web so we skipped the ride.

Rita

Thanks. I thought it sounded a little cheessy. So, I think the 1st day on Maui we will go to Lahaina and see things around there and then go to the Old Lahaina Luau that I have booked. Any suggestions for things to do around the Lahaina area?? We have to be at the luau by 5:15pm. Thanks again.

Depends on a couple of things.

If you like beaches, take local transportation to Ka'anapali. If you have a car, go to... well, Ka'anapali, or farther north (less than 10 miles on fast roads) to Napili and Kapalua bays. (This road also has the advantage of going along much of the route of the "sugar cane train" and you can point at the poor tourists who got snookered into taking this crummy ride, shaking your head sadly at them at the same time.) Perhaps beyond Kapalua to superb snorkeling at the Marine Preserve at Honolua Bay.

Lunch at any number of places, perhaps in Whaler's Village (Ka'anapali) or funky places in Napili or elsewhere - maybe The Gazebo. You can't find a more attractive locale for a restaurant than The Gazebo.

There is the Aquarium at Ma'alaea.

Lahaina itself is basically shopping. A very funky, fun sort of shopping.

You have basically an entire day in West Maui! Beaches. Snorkeling. Sun.

Enjoy.

Archived