Belize, Costa Maya, or Cozumel

We did a Lamanai Excursion in Belize on the Galaxy a couple of years ago that we still talk about...an hour boat ride up the New River with crocodiles and other wildlife, and BEAUTIFUL Mayan Ruins, with an authentic Mayan Lunch....YUMMY!

We're doing the David an Ivan tour in Costa Maya next month. It's just so popular, and everyone seems to really enjoy it....have to go for myself:) !

In Cozumel, there's so much to do, that I'd definitely do the Mayan Ruins at one of the other two ports.

In Belize there's really nothing to do "On You Own," so make sure to book some kind of excursion to really enjoy it, whether it be a siteseeing trip, cave tubing, beach resort, or ruins. It's a beautiful country! (My first cruise there I was told it was just a jungle, so I stayed on the ship....can't believe I actually missed my first chance to see this beautiful place.)

Take Care,

Jaime

Thanks for the feedback. :) I was hoping those of you who have been to more than one would chime in. We're also considering cave tubing in Belize, but seeing the Ruins is our #1 priority. We want to see the best ones, then plan our other excursions around that. We will be booking excursions in all the ports.

David and Ivan for Chacchoben were AWESOME!!!! They are locals who grew up on the grounds of the ruins. I don't know how these ruins compare to other sites, but the tour was the best. Did I also mention that I liked the tour.

Last year, my wife and I toured the Mayan ruin of Xunintunich in Belize, and we were very impressed! We took the RCCL shore excursion, which involved a bus ride to the site in the very western part of the country (you can see Guatemala from the site). It was a great ride, traveling through 5 different ecosystems (and an informative tour guide). Plus, it included a good lunch in the town of San Ignacio which featured a great marimba band.

That's my 2 cents...

I'll put my vote in for Lamanai in Belize. We did this tour last August through RCCL and loved it. Make sure you bring bug spray with deet. That is very, very, very important. The mosquitos were everywhere but I didn't get bit once b/c we took the OFF towlletts with deet.

Like others have said there isn't a lot to do in Belize if you don't take a tour so seeing the ruins there is a good idea.

In Costa Maya we took a cab ride (something like $3) to Mahuahaul (sp). It is basically a beach with little huts all along it. You can lay by the beach all day and someone will continue to ask you what they can get for you next and then just tab out at the end of the day. We also got a massage right there on the beach. It was something like $45 total for me and my husband's massages, each lasting about 30 minutes. A lot of people don't care too much for Costa Maya but it was one of the highlights of our first cruise.

I think you guys are getting me even more confused. :p It sounds like both Belize & Costa Maya offer great experiences, with Belize having better Ruins. Is this right? :confused: We will definitely take excursions in all our ports. Our DS(14) isn't one to just lounge around. I want to make sure we get the best Ruins experience possible. We would also enjoy cave tubing in Belize, but not at the expense of a better Ruins tour. Is there another great tour in Costa Maya? Yes, I'm still confused. :o I'm glad I asked while we still had time to make up our mind. :D

Archived