Car Rental-Worth It?

fourdarlings

After reading all the great reports about Emerald Lake I booked a car through Avis only to read on the boards that as Canadian residents we can't cross the border back into Canada driving a US plated vehicle. Just plain stupid in my opinion-not as if I am going to stay in the Yukon and leave my ship.

Is it worth still renting a car? Is there enough to see within Alaska around Skagway?

Thx

Keri

Island Princess 17/7/06

Is it worth still renting a car? Is there enough to see within Alaska around Skagway?

No, it's not - there's only a few miles of road. You can't even go to Dyea, as it's a gravel road that Avis specifically says you can't drive on. :(

Murray

On the other hand, nothing prevents you from riding in a car across the border. Perhaps you can pair up with someone on your roll call.

I did this once myself. I had a car reserved in Sidney, NS. I met a couple at breakfast that morning. They had no plans yet and thought my plans sounded interesting, so we ended up sharing the cost of the car. Rather spur-of-the-moment, but it worked out well for me.

That would be ok but there is no roll call thread at all for our cruise :-(

You can fix that easy enough - start a roll call for your cruise :) Eventually people will respond. I started one for our cruise and eventually people started posting. Now we have 3-4 different groups/families posting there.

Archived