Share private tour to Sorrento, Pompeii, Positano? Millennium Sep30/04

CLADES

Would anyone be interested in joining us on a private tour (NAP-01) with [url="http://www.driveinrome.com"]www.driveinrome.com[/url] to Pompeii, Sorrento, Positano and Amalfi coast (from Naples)? For 7-8 people, the cost is 550Euros. For 9-12 people, the cost is 700Euros. Dan and I are two, so 10 others can join - and the cost would be significantly less than the similar excursion offered by the ship.

If anyone has been on that tour or has other options, we welcome any comments/suggestions.

Cheryl and Dan
Sailing Sept 30/02 on the Millennium

Hi Clades,

We're considering the cruise you'll be on this September.
As for your plans to rent a private car, I think it's a good idea, but I'd plan to do less. Having spent many vacations in that part of Italy, I'd say you cannot do all of the places you mention in so short a time. I'd go for Pompeii because it's an unbelievable experience, and then, on my own, I'd go to Sorrento...it's easy from Naples. If you are bored with Sorrento...I don't know how that could happen, then you could island hop to Capri or even take a boat to Positano.
Getting involved with driving on The Amalfi Coast and around Naples is tough. Traffic is impossibly heavy, and The Amalfi Coast, though lovely, is one hairpin curve after another. The Bay of Naples offers hydrofoils and other small boats to get people around quickly. There is even a train from Naples to the excavations at Pompeii.
If you enjoy a bit of adventure, research the public transportation, wear comfortable shoes, and leave most of your money on the ship.
Hope we see you on the cruise.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,
Thanks for your comments. We weren't planning, however, to rent a car but rather to take a pre-packaged tour to the places I mentionned. (We're not brave enough to do the hairpin turns on the Amalfi coast). The details are on the website [url="http://www.driveinrome.com"]www.driveinrome.com[/url] under NAP-01. I agree that the amount of time (total 9 hours) is very limited for places that can take days and weeks to explore fully. Unfortunately, all we can get is a "taste" at best - better than nothing!

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...
Rainey and Rich,

I posted this message on another thread as well, but just in case you're looking here....

"Hi Rainey and Rich - and anyone else who wants to join:
I made an error when copying the site address for the private tour - sorry about that. It's actually [url="http://www.driverinrome.com/"]www.driverinrome.com[/url]. We're interested in NAP-01 going to Sorrento, Pompeii and Positano - down the Amalfi coast. The tour can take a maximum of 12 people and the cost is about 700 Euros for 12 for the day if I remember correctly - it's on the website (cost varies depending on the number of people). Anyone interested?

Cheryl (50) and Dan (60)
from Toronto, Canada"

I wanted to jump in here....unfortunately we won't be on this sailing but we did cruise this area a couple of summers ago and did exactly what you are suggesting. We hired a private guide and car that toured us through these areas and it was spectacular. We were on our own schedule and avoided the big crowds (got to Pompeii very early, for example); had a wonderful lunch in the mountain town of Ravello above the Amalfi Coast, etc.

I'm throwing my two cents in because I'd strongly encourage anyone on this cruise to consider joining together with Cheryl and Dan to do a tour this way. You won't regret it.

By the way, have you posted this this on your roll call thread?

Good luck. Hope it works out for you!

~Host Anne

I agree with Anne (I usually do), the private driver is the way to go. We used Driverin Rome, and we were very pleased on our cruise on Millennium in June.

Archived