Is digital video useful for Alaska, or just photos?

mpk

I'm loading up on 35mm film, compact flash digital film, and MiniDV tapes. On that last one, I'm starting to have my doubts. I've been on a couple of mini cruises without video, and didn't miss it.

Has anyone shot a lot of video in Alaska? I'm starting to think that photos are the best way to capture Alaska. I'm still bringing the video for calving glaciers (if I'm lucky enough to see it happening), and on the whale watch. So I figure a couple of hours, doubling it to be safe.

I wish that I had used the camcorder more when we saw whales from our balcony of the ship. I tried taking pictures but all I got was a "big splash" and one with a fin...

I'd take the camcorder. You can always print stills from the camcorder.

MPK

We shot about 4.5 hrs of digital video on our two weeks in Alaska and enjoy it immensely. My wife got shots of grizzily bears in denali that I could not quite get with 35mm. Plus for so many things, the movement and capture of the action is so much more real than static still shots. You will always get background noises in your videos which is good and bad. Also lots of my camera clicking at same time. You can always go back and take the noise out if you don't want it when you edit. Ha! It is hard work to have 35mm and digital and video and binoculars with you whenever you might need them. Next trip, I will probably carry my Oly c-750 digital and the dig camcorder all the time and take 35 with us when we go on whalewatching or wildlife viewing.

We shot about 2 1/2 hours of video on a week long cruise. We were lucky enough to see a whale from the balcony, and were able to get him on video, but not with the still camera. We also saw more whales on the catamaran excursion to Tracy Arm, and got several of the "tail" shots with the video. They're not as easy with a still camera, unless you're lots better than I am at timing. We also get several shots of seals sliding off the icebergs.

After coming home and watching, we're glad to have both (probably 250-300 stills, and the video tape). One small annoyance was the wind noise we picked up from the balcony while recording with the video. Got to see if we can edit it out, as it is really irritating.

Thanks for the info. I bought a six pack of MiniDV tapes at a warehouse store last week. Sounds like it is more than enough.

Like JohnQ, I'm planning to primarily use a digital point and shoot. The 35mm is more for the glacier hike and whale watch. I'll take the dig video along, it is not too big.

Now that I think about it, I should get some 800 asa film. Shooting whales with an ocean background is a dark image, I think I'll need the extra sensitivity and stop action.

I never use 800 film. I find 400 with a faster shutter speed to be more than adequate for whalewatching. But then again, I didn't bring any knockout whale shots back from Capt Larry's or the Kenai Fjords tour although we saw quite a few at both and were fairly close. They just weren't doing much. Whichever film you use will be easier than most digital cameras to catch the action, unless you are going pro-consumer. But you have to share your shots with all of us!! My Sony TRV-30 digicamcorder isn't so light, but I like the 3.5" screen for viewing my stuff later on. It also has a 1.5 meg still that isn't too bad for small prints. Good luck.

You're right about digital consumer cameras. My point and shoot digital has an average shutter lag, which is way too long to catch a whale. A prosumer camera like a digital rebel has only a .25 lag.

I hope to catch decent whale shots with the 35mm SLR, and will also try digital consumer but with prefocus to get the lag down.

we ran out of tapes on the land part before we got on the cruise. DH had to buy more at walmart when we returned to Anchorage ..

so take them with you if you can..

as of 800 - they got 'ruined' if you put them in your check-in luggage - those new x-ray machines at the airport security will kill them !

we took 1 vidio camera and 2 digitals and took lots of pix

(and a laptop to download the pix too).

Archived