Formal nights & Personal Choice Dining?

CBCit

Do "formal nights" still take place in the personal choice dining rooms? If so, are the formal nights the same nights for every dining room,meaning for example, Friday is formal in both the tradional and personal choice dining rooms on board?

How about the "extra charge" restaurants, do they do formal nights or are they always, "smart casual"?

I think you meant to say those that choose not to dress up according to the dress code suggestions are asked to dine in the Lido buffet. Wish it was that way but on every cruise you have those few hundreds who didn't quite understand that and show up on formal night wearing their best golf duds with cleated shoes. That's the good ones, others show up in T-Shirts(usually the fancy colored pocket Ts) with jeans and flip flops. You'll get an occasional lady with shorts and a sweater. Unfortuntely the dining room staff does not enforce their own dress code rules and let 99% of them slide in by turning the other cheek. I've yet to see them turn away poorly dressed patrons at the door but I've heard stories they have on occasion.

SOOOOOOOO much easier on Oceania -- Country club casual, 24/7, all dining venues (which are all personal choice, anytime, no service charge). And on 3 of the Oceania cruises we've taken in the last year, not ONE person has been spotted in anything other than smart, country club casual duds. Different strokes.....

Mike

I think you meant to say those that choose not to dress up according to the dress code suggestions are asked to dine in the Lido buffet. Wish it was that way but on every cruise you have those few hundreds who didn't quite understand that and show up on formal night wearing their best golf duds with cleated shoes. That's the good ones, others show up in T-Shirts(usually the fancy colored pocket Ts) with jeans and flip flops. You'll get an occasional lady with shorts and a sweater. Unfortuntely the dining room staff does not enforce their own dress code rules and let 99% of them slide in by turning the other cheek. I've yet to see them turn away poorly dressed patrons at the door but I've heard stories they have on occasion.

I have personally observed people being turned away from the door on formal nights. On our cruise last month on the Coral I did not see one "Smart Casual" outfit in the dining room on formal night.

I've also seen people on Princess stopped by the Maitre 'd at the entrance, and presumably told "to get out of Dodge" (they left while not dressed to the code). Royal Princess, 3-98 and 8-98 was enforcing the dress code.

I do agree with Mike Brill above re Oceania - their dress code (country club casual) does work, and sure makes packing easier. I only saw a couple of ties with jackets on our 14 night Baltic cruise, 8-05, on Regatta.

Archived