Cruise out of New Orleans

Shooshoo

My husband and I (along with another couple) will be on the Fantasy leaving New Orleans on November 13th. I have a few questions, if anyone can help.

Any suggestions on where to stay for two nights. Don't want to spend too much, but want some place nice.

We will be taking the Amtrak from Memphis to New Orleans on Saturday, November 11th? Will arrive in New Orleans around 3:00 P.M. We were thinking about doing the Brunch at the Three Sisters on Sunday. Any other suggestions as to where to eat, what to do, etc.?

Also, where is Calica? It is our first port. Has anyone been there? If so, what is there to do? We normally don't like to book excursions through the cruise line. Prefer to go on our own.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This will be our third time on Carnival (8th cruise in all). Haven't been on Carnival in a long time.

SHOOSHOO

I live in the metro NOLA area - I've never heard of "Three Sisters" - do you mean the Court of Two Sisters? Maybe "Three Sisters" is something new that I just have not heard of.

Anyway - here is an excellent and comprehensive restaurant guide sponsored by the Times-Picayune's website, nola.com

You can also look up lodging here.

http://www.nola.com/dining/?/dining/diningguide/indexalpha.html

I was in Calica last month and we went into Playa Del Carmen by taxi (10$usfixed rate) and went shopping in a Market area and then we went back to the ship dropped off our stuff and did a Carnival excursion to a Beach sorry don't remember name but it was wonderful pretty they had snorkeling and other activites open bar too. and the best shrimp taco and guacomole(sp) ever. Enjoy your cruise. Calica is right across from Cozumel on the main land.

Inn on Bourbon is nice, the balconies are not cheap, but the insides are nice and you can sometimes find them around $129??... we are staying at the Holiday Inn in January, it's $99/night at the beginning of MG season, can't beat that! LOL!!

Hi, glad to help. No, I've never eaten at the Court of Two Sisters. I think a lot of out of town visitors may eat there due to its location.

Here is the Times-Picayune's recommended list for brunches. The T-P usually gives good recommendations. http://www.nola.com/dining/advanced.ssf?list=1&loc=287

I did notice that the Court of Two Sisters has a web site.

Good luck!

Ah Calica...

Don't let Calica give you a bad first impression. It could be used as a training ground for hell . It's basically a rock quarry where they've carved out a place for a cruise ship to dock. There is little vegetation right around the dock and the heat, which is substantial anyhow, just reflects off the dirt and rocks. It is very hot there. Again, don't let that bother you. I've actually seen people turn around on the gangway and go back into the ship because it was "too hot". :eek:

$10 cab ride into Playa or one of the excursions and you are away from it.

Playa itself is a pretty nice town to wander around in. DW thinks the shopping is better on Cozumel and she would know:)

One of my favorite bars in the world is Senor Frogs in Playa del Carmen. Great staff, strong drinks, good scenery, (natural and man-made) combine to make it a highlite of every trip to PDC.

Cabbies in PDC are also very adept at getting you back to the ship in record time if you overstay your time at Sr Frogs or one of the many other great bars in Playa. (It cost an extra $10 but we stumbled back on board as they were pulling up the gangway)

Have a great trip.

Hey there! I will be on the same cruise with you. Didn't you get the notice that we won't be stopping in Calida/Playa del Carmen? It changed to Costa Maya the first stop and then Cozumel the same as planned. (that is, unless it changed BACK to Calica in the last few days)

I live in New Orleans metro will you be driving in or flying in It is cheaper to stay in Kenner or on the west bank than in New Orleans and it is only a 15 min. ride to the port I can tell you some good local places to eat if you tell me what you like (seafood or what)

hope I can help

Robert

I haven't been there for several years, but it was nice when I was there last. Not fabulous, but nice and its one of the things I remember about my trips to New Orleans. Order a split of champagne and have mimosas with your brunch---yumm-o!

I don't live in new orleans, but i am from louisiana. We are about an hour from new orleans and although we visit often, we still feel like tourists. One of my favorite places to eat is Margaritaville! I am not sure if it is the food or the atmosphere that I like so much. I hope you have a great stay in New orleans!

Harley Girl:

No, I Didn't Get Notice. But I Just Pulled Up The Itenerary On The Internet And You Are Right... We Are Going To Costa Maya.

We Were In Costa Maya In April, 2005. We Were Not Very Impressed. Not Much To Do There. Hope It Has Improved Over The Last Year. We Still Had A Lot Of Fun Though. We Rented A Golf Cart For The Day. We Could Have Fun Anywhere. Just Have To Keep A Positive Outlook

I Remember It Took Us Three Tries To Get Docked There. We Were On The Royal Carribean. Captain Said If We Couldn't Dock On The Third Try We Would Have To Skip It.

Thanks For The Info. We'll Keep An Eye Out For You On The Cruise.

Shooshoo

Harley Girl:

No, I Didn't Get Notice. But I Just Pulled Up The Itenerary On The Internet And You Are Right... We Are Going To Costa Maya.

We Were In Costa Maya In April, 2005. We Were Not Very Impressed. Not Much To Do There. Hope It Has Improved Over The Last Year. We Still Had A Lot Of Fun Though. We Rented A Golf Cart For The Day. We Could Have Fun Anywhere. Just Have To Keep A Positive Outlook

I Remember It Took Us Three Tries To Get Docked There. We Were On The Royal Carribean. Captain Said If We Couldn't Dock On The Third Try We Would Have To Skip It.

Thanks For The Info. We'll Keep An Eye Out For You On The Cruise.

Shooshoo

Costa Maya is one of my favorite ports... been there 3 times and going back in January :D What did you try to do??? I highly recommend the beach break through island marketing (you can get info on the costa maya forum), I think it was $30 for all you could drink... it's a great beach, great service, alot of fun. There are other beaches in that area as well. Other times we have just stayed at the pier, there at the pool area... we generally have about 30 people and have a blast!! Either way, Costa Maya is definitely a fun spot!!

I ate at Margaritaville in N.O. for my b-day in April. The food and drinks were great, though a little pricey to me. It's the only Margaritaville I've been to so I can't compare it to Key West or any other place, but you can check it out at margaritaville.com. Also, I was pretty disappointed too when I found out we weren't going to Calica/PDC because I'd already booked a really fun tour through a private company there, but I hear the Cat's Meow in Costa Maya is good and that the beach is pretty there. It's our first cruise so I don't care too much where we go---just that we are going!! Why don't you go to my roll call thread and sign in. You will be the first one on my thread, I guess since it's so early. Did you book through Carnival or an agent? I booked through Carnival directly so they sent me the email about the itinerary change.

One thing New Orleans is known for is food and Margaritaville would not be on my list for food. Not to say anything is wrong with the place - I've even tipped a margarita or two in there.

If nothing else, I would crawl across the street to Coop's Place - kind of a dive, but good food last time I tried - especially if they are serving crab cakes that night.

http://www.coopsplace.net/

Court of Two Sisters is very popular with tourists. Jazz brunches are also popular in New Orleans. Some are buffets and some are ala carte.

http://www.courtoftwosisters.com/

http://www.palacecafe.com/

Arnaud's has one (dressier) and many more.

Brennan's will be open...

http://www.brennansneworleans.com/

November is a very popular month for conventions in New Olreans and this November will be no different. You might want to make a reservation somewhere soon - just make sure you can cancel without penalty if you want to shop around or try priceline, etc.

I think about 30,000 out of 35,000 pre-K hotel rooms are now available and there is currently a convention scheduled with 26,000 +/- attendees Nov 10-13...

http://www.realtor.org/convention.nsf/

Archived