Cunard Booking Caution

berry22192

Hope other CCers won't make my "mistake" when booking directly with Cunard. Last January (six months ago) I booked by phone a January 2007 segment of the QE2 World Cruise. I paid a booking fee and agreed to have my credit card automatically charged when the final payment was due. My "Booking Confirmation" showed that a depost was due 1 June 2006 "w/Ins" or "w/o Ins". I expected to get an invoice for the deposit (and possibly something explaining the insurance option) and put the matter out of my mind. Imagine my surprise when I called Cunard yesterday to find out when I was going to get an invoice for the deposit....The reply: "Your booking was cancelled..on 2 June"...as no deposit had been received...

"What???" said I in a voice expressive.

Not all was lost: Cunard was happy to rebook the passage but our original category, as it now happened, was sold out and we would have to pay for something "better." (Losing, of course, in the process whatever advantages may accrue from being an early booker.)

Moral: If you book a cruise early directly with Cunard you may not be initially charged with the deposit -- only a booking fee. You have to phone them later, apparently, (without any further notice) and give credit card information for the deposit--don't expect to be invoiced.

Chris

Who remembers when women wore hats, men removed hats, and businesses issued invoices.

Interesting but strange? May we assume you made a North American booking through the California office.

On our recent transatlantic crossing, we compared our booking experience with Brits who were on-board. It seems the Cunard booking offices in the UK are much more efficient than the ones in the States.

For example, when we booked in the US, Cunard would not confirm our post-cruise hotel booking until after we were actually on-board the ship from Southampton. All the Brits on-board had their hotel post-cruise bookings confirmed already at the time they did their cruise booking (in the UK).

Yet when we had queried Cunard about this (before the cruise), the Cunard agent in California told me Cunard never confirms hotels before the actual sailing -- obviously she did not know what she was talking about.

Our cruise documents arrived with no mention of any hotel -- even though we had prepaid it and I needed to notify my family in what hotel we would be, in case of emergency.

A booking fee? Cunard doesn't charge a booking fee, let alone use that term.

It is deposit. Those who booked early deposited 10% with a second deposit due to bring the total up to 25%. Those who booked onboard in 05 for 07 paid even less.

What category did you originally book??? There may be inventory, but you can't get it through Cunard because it is held in groups.

Interesting but strange? May we assume you made a North American booking through the California office.

On our recent transatlantic crossing, we compared our booking experience with Brits who were on-board. It seems the Cunard booking offices in the UK are much more efficient than the ones in the States.

For example, when we booked in the US, Cunard would not confirm our post-cruise hotel booking until after we were actually on-board the ship from Southampton. All the Brits on-board had their hotel post-cruise bookings confirmed already at the time they did their cruise booking (in the UK).

Yet when we had queried Cunard about this (before the cruise), the Cunard agent in California told me Cunard never confirms hotels before the actual sailing -- obviously she did not know what she was talking about.

Our cruise documents arrived with no mention of any hotel -- even though we had prepaid it and I needed to notify my family in what hotel we would be, in case of emergency.

Cruise/hotel packages in the UK are set up differently than what is marketed here in North America.

That's interesting NorthernNeighbour. Doesn't the US require details such as where a visitor is staying in the US for customs/immigration purposes? I know that most cruise lines and air carriers ask for this info now when you are flying into and out of the US. Therefore, I think Cunard is a little archaic on this matter if what you said is the case.

When you booked how did you fill out the Guest Registration form? Address to be decided? And of course your example above is another prime reason for knowing before you leave.

I've noticed how much more sophisticated the UK website is compared to the US one so I am not surprised that both entities do things differently.

Still, even though I did much the old fashion way I have yet to have a problem. So far so good!

I presume that the discussion here is on booking a segment of a world cruise- However, if that is not the case then I will note that I have already booked a round trip NY/Southampton (and return) for August/Sept 07. I was required to pay 25% down on each of the crossings with about 5 days of booking- the balance payable 90 days before sailing. When booking this far in advance, it would be nice if one could pay a 10% 'booking fee" with the other 15% a bit later. - Oh well, it all has to be paid eventually anyway.

A booking fee? Cunard doesn't charge a booking fee, let alone use that term.

It is deposit. Those who booked early deposited 10% with a second deposit due to bring the total up to 25%.

Thank you for the clarification. I didn't know what to the call the fee I paid at booking as I only thought one payment could be called a "deposit." Instead of calling it a "booking fee," apparently, I should have called it the "First Deposit" [The 10% payment was not given a description on the "Booking Confirmation"].

Chris

Hi Berry:

I had the exact same experience. A first for us also. Never had a cruise cancelled without someone asking for money first. I guess you must be very careful to remember dates with Cunard or just pay in full well in advance of the due date. We were reinstated in the original grade so I guess all is ok. I'll relax about it when we make it across the gangway.

All the best,

Jim.

There may be inventory, but you can't get it through Cunard because it is held in groups.

I'm sure you are correct, Ocngypz, that there is group inventory (in my desired category) but as I say it was not available to me (or Cunard of California) yesterday.

Chris

Hi Berry:

I had the exact same experience. A first for us also. Never had a cruise cancelled without someone asking for money first. I guess you must be very careful to remember dates with Cunard or just pay in full well in advance of the due date.

Odd that Cunard would not "bill" for payments when due. Even odder, that there was 1) no clear statement in the 'Booking Confirmation' that no invoices would be issued or 2) that no form was provided to return with the deposit [No. 2] payment (a form referencing the booking details). I hope there are not too many people booked on the QE World Cruise who will have a 'significant emotional experience' when they find out that their booking has been cancelled because "Deposit No. 2" has not been received per Cunard's payment schedule.

Thanks. Jim. for letting me know I was not the only one to experience an unwanted cancellation by Cunard. [Glad you were able to get the category you originally booked, although with your new booking, unfortunately, you (and I) did lose possible advantage that can accrue from the earlier booking].

Chris

That's interesting NorthernNeighbour. Doesn't the US require details such as where a visitor is staying in the US for customs/immigration purposes? I know that most cruise lines and air carriers ask for this info now when you are flying into and out of the US. Therefore, I think Cunard is a little archaic on this matter if what you said is the case.

When you booked how did you fill out the Guest Registration form? Address to be decided? And of course your example above is another prime reason for knowing before you leave.

I've noticed how much more sophisticated the UK website is compared to the US one so I am not surprised that both entities do things differently.

Still, even though I did much the old fashion way I have yet to have a problem. So far so good!

I specified the SHERATON NEW YORK on the cruise registration form since that is the hotel I wanted and hoped CUNARD would use.

Once on-board, I got a letter (second day of cruise) saying we would be at the HILTON NEW YORK which, as this was my second choice in any event, not a problem for us to stay there as a hotel choice.

The problem I wanted to solve was letting my family know (my Mother is 95 years old) BEFORE the cruise where we would be upon landing in New York in case they needed to get in touch with us in an emergency. Of course, once we had checked-in to the Hilton, I had to telephone them to let them know where we were.

Before the cruise, when I telephoned CUNARD about this, the attitude I got was "CUNARD is right, we know best" about how to arrange the hotel bookings and notify the passenger. The lady told me passengers are never notified of hotels until once on-board -- obviously, this is not correct, since UK passengers (and I suspect some US passengers) were notified beforehand.

I specified the SHERATON NEW YORK on the cruise registration form since that is the hotel I wanted and hoped CUNARD would use.

Once on-board, I got a letter (second day of cruise) saying we would be at the HILTON NEW YORK which, as this was my second choice in any event, not a problem for us to stay there as a hotel choice.

The problem I wanted to solve was letting my family know (my Mother is 95 years old) BEFORE the cruise where we would be upon landing in New York in case they needed to get in touch with us in an emergency. Of course, once we had checked-in to the Hilton, I had to telephone them to let them know where we were.

Before the cruise, when I telephoned CUNARD about this, the attitude I got was "CUNARD is right, we know best" about how to arrange the hotel bookings and notify the passenger. The lady told me passengers are never notified of hotels until once on-board -- obviously, this is not correct, since UK passengers (and I suspect some US passengers) were notified beforehand.

I'm getting confused. Hotel space is released 30 days prior to date of stay.

I'm confused as when I go into reservations I can reserve any of the hotel properties showing on the screen, in multiple of nights and receive confirmation. (This is via GDS for Cunard). I even see kennel reservations available.

I'm sure you are correct, Ocngypz, that there is group inventory (in my desired category) but as I say it was not available to me (or Cunard of California) yesterday.

Chris

Why are you booking through Cunard in the first place if it shuts you out??

Why are you booking through Cunard in the first place if it shuts you out??

Good point, although I had no idea what TA might still have available inventory, if any. I had to get booked in some category as a QE2 voyage is where we want to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary.

Chris

Hope other CCers won't make my "mistake" when booking directly with Cunard.

That's exactly why I use a travel agent. I don't have time, as I am sure you don't, to keep track of this sort of thing. When I book a cruise with any line, I expect my TA to track stuff like when deposits and final payments are due, and make sure everything is taken care of.

I work two jobs and have my fingers in a lot of other pies too. The last thing I want to have to worry about is making sure my bookings for vacations are secure. I pay the travel agent to worry about that ... or actually, the cruise line pays her for me. :)

You might want to consider using a reputable travel agent for your future bookings. Won't cost you a dime extra ... in fact, a good travel agent will actually save you money. Find yourself a good one and then stick with her. Get recommendations from friends and associates. Then you won't have to worry about crap like this ever again.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hope other CCers won't make my "mistake" when booking directly with Cunard.

Chris, can't share your bad experience. Had perfect and very helful service with CUNARD in the UK. They offer alternatively an English or German speaking team. All my extras have been confirmed immediately both by eMail and posted in written. Money has been automatically cashed. We are very satisfied and look forward to our first TA crossing with QM2 departing NY on July 8 arriving Hamburg July16

Joe

I don't have time, as I am sure you don't, to keep track of this sort of thing. When I book a cruise with any line, I expect my TA to track stuff like when deposits and final payments are due, and make sure everything is taken care of....

--rita

Rita, as I had booked directly with Cunard by phone I had expected they would at least invoice me when the payment ["Second Deposit"] was due, especially as there was an option to buy insurance (the details of which I imagined would come in the mail--along with an invoice).

I wonder if Carnival [inc.] corporate-wide, as policy, does not send out invoices to direct-booking customers when payments are due?

Chris, can't share your bad experience. Had perfect and very helpful service with CUNARD in the UK.

Joe

Joe, best wishes for a grand trip in July, I expect you will enjoy every minute of it. I, too, had helpful service from the Cunard people in the U.S. when I booked the world cruise segment last January. They asked for a deposit, I gave it to them. They asked to charge the final payment to the credit card--I agreed. They told me that another payment ["Second Deposit"] was due in six months (with or without insurance option) but nothing was said (as I recall) that I would have to phone Cunard back (at some point) with my credit card at the ready. I thought normal business practice would result in an invoice for any due paymnent. I thought wrong and had my special booking, with no notice, cancelled.

Thank you to all for the advice to find a good TA--I trust my experience will not befall others. I won't belabor this invoice issue (or lack thereof) anymore but would hope it catches the eye of someone in the Cunard/Princess/Carnival management chain.

Chris

Chris:

I don't know of a single cruiseline who "bills" direct booking clients. However, these second deposits have been problem.. among a couple of other issues with the worlds... and someother GRAND FAUX PAS by Cunard ground in NY this week. My Cunard District manager as well as those higher up in sales/marketing will be on the Crown Princess later today (as well as I).

They are in for an earful!

I booked through Cunard in Jan. this year via the World Cruise extension#; I paid a 10% deposit, but the June 1 thing wasn't explained to me at the time; when I got my confirmation in the mail, I called and asked about the June 1 payment and the agent said it had "something to do with insurance" (which baffled me a bit)...then when I got another letter later on in May, I read it several times before figuring out that it was a bill asking me to bring my deposit to 25%! Duh... I almost forgot about it in the business of closing out the school year (I'm a teacher, believe it or not--before I agreed to sign next year's contract, I had them put in a clause allowing me special leave for the 2007 April 21 crossing!) Anyway. I remembered on May 31 and called in my payment! Whew!

...then when I got another letter later on in May, I read it several times before figuring out that it was a bill asking me to bring my deposit to 25%!...

Good news that you were able to get your "second deposit" paid in the nick of time and not face an unwanted cancellation!

It helped, it seems, that you were presented with a bill -- which means that Cunard must be sending out "second deposit invoices" (even if it is not clearly described as such) to some people and not to others.

Chris

Archived