Aggressive Sales People - Kusadasi

villa286

Any of you who will be sailing the Mediterranean this summer - be forewarned if you go ashore at Kusadasi, Turkey, be prepared for extremely aggressive sales people trying to literally pull you into their store, following you down the street, etc. The Golden Princess docked there a couple weeks ago and I walked to the shopping area. In 20 minutes I practically ran back to the ship! It was an experience tho!

We had the same thing happen in Bali a couple of times we were there. As soon as you get off the tender and out of the 'safe area' they had set up, it was unbelieveable. The first time there we kind of freaked out, the second time it was fun to watch the newbies freak out while we were hysterically laughing. :D

The "aggressive" sales folks in Kusadasi are simply doing what is culturally correct almost anywhere in Turkey. This is not normally a problem once you learn how to firmly indicate you are not interested. Many can tell you funny stories about these vendors. They mean no harm,,,and its just one of those customs where you need to get into the "spirit" of the game. My wife once made the mistake of showing some interest in a silver necklace...and was followed by the vendor for nearly an hour. The offereing price was originally about $40 and my wife was not interested. When we finally boarded our bus to return to the ship, the vendor came up to our bus window and kept trying to make the sale. My wife finally pulled out $5, hoping he would be insulted and go away (this usually is effective) but he took the money and gave her the necklace. This was about 20 years ago,,, and she still have that necklace and it still looks darn good.

Hank

We were continually tailed by carpet vendors in Istanbul. Everytime we passed by one of these stores, there would be another vendor coming out trying to sell us his wares. I finally discovered an effective strategy to get rid of them. I told a little white lie. I said sorry but I had already purchased a nice big carpet from the guy down the block. After hearing this, these vendors literally melted back into the woodwork. It was amazing.

I worked (via telex [remember them] and occasional visit) in the mid-east a lifetime ago so I sort of knew the drill when we visited Turkey on Golden in '03. The Princess guide 'steered' our Ephesus group to a decent shop near the port where they did a nice presentation on carpets (the how made, of what schtick) over tea then "Let the Games Begin!" and more tea. Carpets aren't cheap anywhere so most escaped unscathed.

Unfortunately, my family had lost a couple of very nice pre-Khomeini Gom and Isphahan rugs to a fire some time ago so I was a mark, and with textile admiring wife and kids in tow, what's a guy to do!? Even with the cruiseline 'crackhead' designation, and tour guide kickback to be disbursed, I think I talked the guys down nearly 40% (still not cheap though).

We got a small silk and medium wool carpet that remained rolled up, papered, and stashed in a carrybag for nearly 3 years now. We've been on the move and until recently not situated for fine floor covering.

In anticipation of a newly built house, we unrolled those rugs the other night and... DANG! If that buy ain't a bute!

You have to view shopping in the mid-east, north africa, and elsewhere as a very twisted, culturally enlightening sport.

On the contrary, we had a marvelous time shopping in Kusadasi. Having lived in and travelled widely in the third world, we did not find the merchants overly aggressive at all.

In fact, we found them to be polite when told that we were not interested and most helpful when we expressed interest in their wares. Wow, compared to some places, these guys are pussy cats.

They are Turkish merchants and when in Turkey you should expect their culture not ours.

Many of us travel to experience the cultures of others, enjoy the experiece, and run to rather than from it.

However, if it bothers you should avoid it.

Some of the most fun I ever had shopping on a cruise was trying to actually find clothes (to replace those that had been in misplaced luggage ) in the bazaar there. We ended up way way in the back of the bazaar where we found "knock-off" Gucci, Niki, Armani etc shorts and tanks for $3 each.. the problem was every time i picked one up the vender sent this child running for blocks to the "warehouse" and back .. it was about 110degrees and I felt sorry for him so I tried to pick up several before he got back. Shoes were a treat there and I am still wearing the sandals I bought in 2001. And then there were the cowboy hats... hubby bought one and they insisted that we have sit down tea .. which led to me buying one too. They were absolutely essential for the rest of that hot trip and drew many comments of hey Cowboy where is your horse wherever we went in Turkey, Cyprus and Egypt.

I won't even go into the see-through knickers (nylons) or buying bras at the bazaar ... still laughing

Nothing but fond memories of shopping in Kusadasi !!!

I don't think people should be scared to go into Kusadasi . Like many have mentioned it is their way . Merchants believe that the first sale of the day is very important (it will determine how the rest of the day will go) so if you don't want to be a hasseled I suggest you go shopping mid morning to avoid the pressure of the salesperson .

We had a great time and found some fantastic bargains on gold , clothes and leather . Of course rugs are their specialty. If a store does not have what you are looking for they will place phone calls to make sure you can get it and as the previous poster mentioned the "amazing race "begins . It is very funny to watch .

Just say NO firmly but politely and they will stop bothering you .

I worked (via telex [remember them] and occasional visit) in the mid-east a lifetime ago so I sort of knew the drill when we visited Turkey on Golden in '03. The Princess guide 'steered' our Ephesus group to a decent shop near the port where they did a nice presentation on carpets (the how made, of what schtick) over tea then "Let the Games Begin!" and more tea. Carpets aren't cheap anywhere so most escaped unscathed.

Unfortunately, my family had lost a couple of very nice pre-Khomeini Gom and Isphahan rugs to a fire some time ago so I was a mark, and with textile admiring wife and kids in tow, what's a guy to do!? Even with the cruiseline 'crackhead' designation, and tour guide kickback to be disbursed, I think I talked the guys down nearly 40% (still not cheap though).

We got a small silk and medium wool carpet that remained rolled up, papered, and stashed in a carrybag for nearly 3 years now. We've been on the move and until recently not situated for fine floor covering.

In anticipation of a newly built house, we unrolled those rugs the other night and... DANG! If that buy ain't a bute!

You have to view shopping in the mid-east, north africa, and elsewhere as a very twisted, culturally enlightening sport.

This brings back memories for me. We were in Morocco in 1990 and also

on a tour. Of course we were too "steered" into the local carpet palace.

And it was a hysterical sales pitch, very animated, lots of fun I thought.

I really would have loved a carpet, but the thought of trying to get that

thing home was dissuading me from buying one. So I didn't. I wish I had.

Archived