Help, please - Sovereign

I'm thinking about booking cruise on Sovereign for January 2007. Can anyone help regarding info on best deck/cabins. What will the weather be like?

Also, anyone book a deep sea fishing trip there? If so, who did you book with? My husband and son are wanting to do some fishing!

Thanks!

Ginny

Cannot help you about the temps but would assume they would be around the typical Florida temps for January. I think swimming at CocoCay and on the ship would be a bit cool.

We have been on Sovereign 5 different times and liked deck 5 and 9. Both were convenient in their own way.

Since the cruise is so short, either a 3 or 4 day, let me suggest you go either a day early or stay a day after the cruise and take a fishing trip from Port Canaveral. That way you get the best of the cruise and extend your vacation an extra day or two. One place you can get a trip is to go to the website http://www.visitgrills.com Then go to Obsession Tours I think and they will be able to set you up with fishing.

Tim

We stayed on Deck 4 when we were on the Sovereign. I thought it was pretty convenient (especially upon boarding :D ). We enjoyed our inside cabin on this deck what little time we spent in it (sleeping, changing, etc. was about it). No problems.

We love the sovereign ..been on it last Oct and will be on it twice more upcoming soon.. You will love the ship.. now, as for the weather is usually consistent all year round. You can go to weatherchannel.com and see the monthly averages for weather, but unfortunately we cannot predict or read a crystal ball to know what the weather will be like when you go, so it is not possible to let you know how the weather will be on your day. (not being sarcastic.. just a statement :)) just hope for sunny skies and no rain..

but I would check the monthly averages on weatherchannel.com it will probably help you out ..... :)

I have a Sovereign question for those who have cruised since the makeover- we found there to be a shortage of tables in the Windjammer at breakfast when we sailed in 2004. This was uncomfortable for my older mom who needs to sit right away. How is it now?

It has improved greatly since the redo. They added an entire section to the Windjammer and we had little to no problem finding a table when we had on previous trips.

I agree deck 4 is an excellent location for a cabin. We mostly stay on 3 and 4.

Definately Florida temps in the Bahamas in winter.

We were on deck 9 forward and could hear the anchor, but my parents were deck 9 aft and did not.

So whichever deck you choose... go aft. :D

But if you tend to wake up early then it really doesn't matter. :p

Oh yeah, also 9000 had a great un-obstructed view; but 9006 had a life boat right underneath it so they could see straight out, but not straight down. I didn't check the view from my parent's room (9078), but they said they had a great view too.

We were in a Grand Suite on Deck Ten Forward and we had no problems with noise from above or the noise of the anchor. This was a really great cabin for us (4) with the balcony.

We are in a forward cabin on deck 4 for our cruise in October 2006. Does anyone know if you can feel alot of movement from there. Also it is a connecting cabin, but we are travelling alone. Is it easy to get into the connecting cabin? We are 3 adult females travelling together in one cabin. I dont foresee any problems, but if anyone has any suggestions it will be greatly appreciated!

The connecting cabin will not be a problem EXCEPT for the noise from the adjoining cabin. We had a connecting cabin on Sovereign once and we heard EVERY noise from our neighbors, almost including breathing. This means they can also hear every noise your cabin makes.

We had an inside cabin on deck 4 last fall. If you do not plan to stay in the room very much it is fine. We had our 12 year old with us and it was a little small for us. There was no couch. Only place to sit is on the beds or on the chair by the desk/vanity.

This my not be a worry for the three girls traveling together but...When you put the lower beds together there was no place to put the ladder for the upper bunk.

Back in February 2006, we had an Oceanview (H) on deck 3 (3598) and it was fine - nice and quiet and easy to get around the ship from. For us it worked better with the beds separated - much more room. I can't speak for the Windjammer pre-refurb, but we ate there often and never had a problem getting a table for two at any time.

Enjoy your cruise!

Andy

Ginny-Lo - I would not have a cabin on Deck 2 again because we heard the stabilizers below us most of the time due to the rough seas. It kept me awake at night.:( We have been on deck 4 and 5 and it was great and next October we will be trying deck 8.

bookwerm1980 - I would try and change to another cabin with no connecting door. HB cruiser is totally right about being able to hear the people in the next room! We had a connecting cabin last October and I could even hear the person next door unzip their suitcase!

We always go cheap because we already know we don't spend much time in the cabin...we were on deck 2 midship and it was just fine!! Our steward, Stacy, was wonderful....we were a big group of smokers too and would occasionally end up hanging out in the cabin for a little bit making our next plans and Stacy always did a great job fumigating the cabin. We never ever heard any noise from anything....

We also aim for midship no matter what deck

I really love fishing in the ocean but I would not look for a charter in either Florida or the Bahamas during Dec, Jan or Feb. It is just too cold to have a good time out on the water and the fishing isn't that great. This is just an opinion. I live in Pennsylvania but I would not spend the money to fish in the winter in Florida.

Les

We've been on SOS 3x and have been on Decks 7 & 8. Deck 7 is good for an inside cabin, I would not get an O/V there because the promenade is right outside your window so everyone tends to look in..you will have to keep your curtains closed. I really liked Deck 8 O/V. Some of the rooms have no obstructions. We had connecting rooms ( on purpose) they will not be able to be opened unless unlocked by the room steward. I did not notice that the noise was easily heard, but I would not have been listening for it either. Deck 8 is convenient to Deck 10..easily climb up 2 flights of stairs when the elevators are full, and it's an easy climb down to dinner etc. I would definitely book Deck 8 again.

Thank you all for the info - it's so nice to be able to come to these boards and get good advice!

Les & Shirley: I've been thinking the same thing about the fishing! Thank you!

I've also been considering Enhantment of the Seas, 4 days, because it goes to Cozumel and should be warmer. My husband and I were there about 3 years ago - beautiful beaches!! Not sure about January though. Of course I realize there is no way to tell - just curious of others cruising experiences.

Is Enchantment the same ship design as Sovereign?

Any opinions or experiences on fishing in Cozumel???

Again, thanks to all!

:) Hi

I was on SOS Jan 6 of this year. It was freezing when we left Florida but I swam with the dolphins and snorkled on CO CO Cay. The weather there was in the 70;s during the day. Had a blast. Went back in April and I will go again in Sept.

Try to get a room near the elevator so you can go and come quick. Been on floors six and five.....they were fine. Small but I go alot.

Archived