Dining with the captain: why all the fuss?

My family and I also were lucky to have the table right next to the Captain on the Voyager last summer. He actually came over to our table and we had a photo opt with him leaning over our table. It will probably never happen again, but we certainly enjoyed it.

I actually decided that one particular cruise line is not for me based on who they invited to dine with the captain...

There was a man at my old job who I considered a blowhard and a jerk. He took a cruise with his wife, and came back raving about how they had been invited to dine with the captain (it was only their second cruise ever, so it wasn't one of those situations where he had cruised 100 times or something). I figure, if that's the kind of guy who gets invited to dine with the captain, what must all the other pax be like? Ugh.

My daughter and I have dined with the Captain 4 times on different RCCL ships. It IS a great honour but remember this is a part of his job. I must admit they always put their guests at ease and in fact one of the most memorable dinners we had was about 4 years ago on Soveriegn, the Staff Captain, who was quite young had us to his table and he stayed right til the end of the dinner, by the time he left my daughter him and another guest from Georgia were doing shots at the table. We had a great time with him. Most of the time the captain leaves before coffee is served.

Been invited once, it was a nice dinner but for me no better than any other dinner.

Funny though:

When DH and myself were invited, we asked how we received the invite. We were told it was because we were booked in a royal suite. Next time we cruised - we also booked a Royal Suite, but brought our 2 kids. Hmmm No invite! Shocking;) !

We've never been invited to have dinner with the Captain, while I'm sure it would be enjoyable I would find it very nervewracking I'm sure.

However, on our Vision cruise the Captain did send chocolate covered strawberries to our cabin one night and on the last formal night a bottle of wine to our table. A very nice surprise for us and totally unexpected.:D

Bev

When the red and white wine came to the table the captain did sample a taste of each to make sure of the quality then the matre'd went to each person ask which kind they would like . The captain then drank water. I asked him (No wine? He replied...No I'm driving).

Am I the only one who doesn't think that dining with the captain is a big deal? I mean, I wouldn't refuse to dine with the captain if asked, but I don't understand why people get so worked up about it. He's just a person, like anybody else. Maybe I'm just jealous because the captain has never seen fit to invite me :-).

In Sept of 2005 on a eastern cruise on the Marnier of the Seas, me, my husband and parents had dinner (early sitting). He name was Captain Jerry from Norway, he was very interesting to talk with, I learned a great deal on this cruise and also about the ship. His first mate and girl friend and his parents also joined us.

I was very nervous to say the least, but he make the experience very enjoyable. THANKS CAPTAIN JERRY. YOUR THE BEST.....

So, fellow cruisers if you ever get a chance to dine with a captain make the most of it, also we got to keep our name placement cards, menu, and also the captain had pictures made for the entire table. It was sure something to share with my family and friends back home.

When we dined at the Captain's table, it was with the Staff Captain, Chief Engineer, Chief Security Officer and the Staff Captain's wife. It was a very nice dinner with excellent food and the only time on the cruise I got drunk...for free! :D If you're invited, go! It is a lot of fun.

Archived