Royal 7/18/04 Norway

zuccarc

Can't find any threads for this cruise. Anyone else going? Anyone else done this cruise before? Would love to have some idea as to whether you can do most of the ports on your own. We have signed up for the excursion to the North Cape. Figured that was the only way to get there. Would like to know if anyone ever used private guides in any of the ports? How cold does it get there? Do you need to take a very warm jacket (ski-type)? So many questions, so little time left!

Guest Anorak33

We did Royal P last year to the North Cape. It was great what with the midnight sun and all.

Royal P is a lovely ship and its a shame Princess are losing her.

At the North Cape we just got the local bus to the "Hall" and it waited there a couple of hours for us until we came back. It was still quite expensive but a lot less than the ship charged. The ship's bus will stop at the Sami village souvenir shops, thats the only difference I think.

The "Hall" is a glorified souvenir shop and cafe with a short film shown and a viewing area over the cliffs. It must have been bleak but nicer up there before they built the "Hall".

You can get your mail sent from there with a special postmark.

Although it was July we had intermittent rain up there and it was a little windy, nice to see the reindeer.

For us Tromso and the Polar museum was more interesting but I wish they signed the exhibits in English a bit more.

Warm - yes it was OK but it can rain quite a bit, especially in Bergen - about 8 days a week.

We found you could do your own thing in most ports but the timing of departures and arrivals made it a little difficult at ports like Vik and Flam, if you want to do the flambahn railway make sure you sort out the timing as the later departures will not get you back in time.

http://www.flaamsbana.no/eng/

Hi,

My wife and I will be on the cruise.

We are staying in london 2 nights prior and will use the transfer from victoria coach station to southhampton.

There was a thread re: this cruise but it was not very popular. We booked 3 shore excursions with princess:

1-mount dalsnibba

2-the north cape

3-overland and train&coach:flaam/vik

take care

burtshell

burt and shelley frank

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like some type of raingear is good to take along. I've started a Roll Call for this cruise, but haven't gotten any takers yet, but I think this cruise is pretty well sold out.

my parents and 8 other relatives are going. I suspect they'll all be sitting together at dinner time.

They haven't planned any off-shore tours yet. I have done some research for my dad and will show him the printouts of what everyone has posted about this particular route. Check the member reviews written a couple of years back.

Jennifer

• 3 weeks later...

My parents are off to LAX for their flight to Heathrow. One night pre-cruise stay at a Heathrow hotel and will meet up with 5 other family members and head off to Southampton together. On the ship, they'll meet up with 5 more family/friends who are travelling through Princess flights/transfers.

I hope they get on the ship without too many glitches since I did most of the research on their stay at Heathrow.

Too bad it looks like rain during most of their cruise through Norway.

Have a good trip to those who are going on this cruise!!!

Archived