Does anyone have information about A HOP-ON/HOP-OFF island tour?

many cruises

We will be in Grand Turk in November & read about A HOP-ON/HOP-OFF ISLAND TOUR where cruisers can take a shuttle that stops at attractions throughout Grand Turk. If anyone has used this shuttle can you tell us about it: cost, where you pick it up, where it goes, etc. Thanks!

Early on in this thread there was some discussion on this tour and none of it was good. Here's a few comments....

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnavb5

I wouldn't see why you couldn't snorkel on your own.

I will tell you DO NOT pay to take that stupid trolley/train to Govners beach. WHAT A RIP OFF> Riding a kiddie train for 32 bucks EACH to another beach. I wish I had known...but now YOU DO....It's not that far, you could take a taxi there.

That is so good to know about the trolley. It was something we were thinking about doing. I'll scratch it off the list. Thanks.

twinkletoes4445

View Public Profile

Find all posts by twinkletoes4445

Add twinkletoes4445 to Your Buddy List

#14 May 23rd, 2006, 08:02 PM

TonyaJ

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Apr 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didn't personally see anyone snorkeling on their own, but I don't see why not. Some went to Governor's Beach and snorkeled there, but from what I heard they weren't that impressed. Definitely don't do the train trolley thing, seemed like a rip off. Also the bus loop was pretty expensive $44 each I think, wasn't worth it from what I heard. The island is only 6 miles long from what I remember.

TonyaJ

View Public Profile

Find all posts by TonyaJ

Add TonyaJ to Your Buddy List

#15 May 24th, 2006, 11:53 AM

donnavb5

Cool Cruiser Join Date: Feb 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes and TELL EVERYONE...Carnival should be EMBARESSED to have that as an excursion. Maybe I can stop future crusiers some money!

donnavb5

View Public Profile

Find all posts by donnavb5

Add donnavb5 to Your Buddy List

#16 May 25th, 2006, 07:28 PM

twinkletoes4445

Blue Ribbon Cruiser Join Date: Apr 2002

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnavb5

Yes and TELL EVERYONE...Carnival should be EMBARESSED to have that as an excursion. Maybe I can stop future crusiers some money!

We're on HAL, but I'd bet they offer the same tour. I do appreciate the heads-up. We won't be wasting our money on that excursion.

We will be in Grand Turk in November & read about A HOP-ON/HOP-OFF ISLAND TOUR where cruisers can take a shuttle that stops at attractions throughout Grand Turk. If anyone has used this shuttle can you tell us about it: cost, where you pick it up, where it goes, etc. Thanks!

I think this is different from the train the other poster was referring to. The Hop on hop off goes all around the island stopping at many places. Check out http://www.grandturkcc.com/ and you should be able to get the hop on off brochure (tried to upload it but file was too big:)

You could be right. I couldn't find the original thread, but I did read where someone said they didn't like the tour because they "hopped off" then had to wait a really long time for the bus to come by so they could hop back on. Maybe someone who's done this excursion will chime in!!

You could be right. I couldn't find the original thread, but I did read where someone said they didn't like the tour because they "hopped off" then had to wait a really long time for the bus to come by so they could hop back on. Maybe someone who's done this excursion will chime in!!

no, I do remember reading that too...I am hoping by

August they get the kinks worked out! The Crown Princess stops there in a few days, so hopefully someone will post something.

• 5 weeks later...
no, I do remember reading that too...I am hoping by

August they get the kinks worked out! The Crown Princess stops there in a few days, so hopefully someone will post something.

This is what I got from someone who was just there:

The Hop on and Off Island tour is what we took. You can get out or stay on the bus during the trip. They buses come around often and there are various stops that they make. We went to the light house that involved just a little walk to see it. There are places to sit there and a place to get a drink. It is near a hiking trail that we took and it was down a steep hill to the beach where we found loads of conch shells. You are allow to take two of them from the beach---and we found rather large ones to bring back. The other hike is to another beach area where you can see some fish and a beautiful view. Both of these hikes are not too strenuous but enough that several people did not make it on the one down the hill to get the shells.

The center of the village part of the tour is what we really enjoyed because it was where we were able to interact with the people of Grand Turk. We visited a prison, church, little stores, and several buildings. This did involve walking. We walked from one stop to the next one and you would not need to walk that far---but I am not sure that I would suggest it if your Mom is not up to some walking. Basically the tour is for the rides to and from the stops and get you into the prison. The driver gives you some history about the area as he drives you around the island. We were back in plenty of time to relax on the beach and just look at our ship and catch a few rays.

Let me know what other questions you have. I did enjoy the tour---like I mentioned in the boards, it was a real chance to see the culture of Grand Turk and interact with people, but it was very low key. I loved it for a change from the other excursions we took.

Then we "talked" some more:)

thanks for getting back to me. My mom is 82 and has 2 replaced

> knees and > while she can walk, she does not do well with distances. It there are places to sit and rest along the way, she should be fine.

> There are some places to rest, but I do not recall too many benches around where the bus stops were.

> A number of posters had mentioned that Grand Turk was overrun with

> mosquitos....did you find this to be the case?

> We had no problem here?

> They also mentioned the long wait between buses. I think we are

> the only ship in that day, so it shouldn't be too crowded. Did you find

> they came every 20 mins of so like they advertise?

> We never had to wait longer than 3-4 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

We were on Grand Turk last Feb. on HAL. I would say, just stay at the pool and beach area next to the dock. This is definitely NOT the place to go on an excursion. Save your $ for the other ports.

Rosemary

• 3 weeks later...

Just back...we just did this on 8/7 Crown P cruise....not really worth the $$...probably better off getting a taxi ...the lighthouse was pretty..I don't think you can climb and it did cost to get into sight which was included in your ticket. The day we were there the town was pretty closed for a holiday...a few local vendor but all seemed to sell the same things and nothing really interesting. The water at the beach off the main street is much prettier than the beach at the dock. I have posted the link to my photos below...check out the Grand Turk file and e-mail me if you have specific questions

• 1 month later...

We just returned and went on the hop on hop off in Grand Turk. I agree with MiamiU72, not really worth the money and probably better to hire a taxi, especially if more than two.

We had to wait almost 45 minutes to get a bus from the pier. No organization at all. Everyone stands around, when a bus comes if it stops near you, you may get on. We were getting on one bus but the driver did not let anyone stand so we had to get off. The next one stopped further back and was filled before we could get to the door.

I talked to the shore excursion desk folks when I got back and they could have cared less. Said that is out of their control. I told them someone should at least talk to the operators of the tour. No response.

• 3 weeks later...

Just looking over the little bit of info on this new port of call and the "hop on hop off" guana bus tour. We're heading to the islands on the 12/16 Zuiderdamn sailing and I've already booked this excursion for all 7 in our party! I thought it was a good way for everyone to kind of do their own thing...some hopping off, some staying on. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe I should just let the kids (23, 23, 22, 21 & 19) sleep in and explore the island at their own pace (the tour begins at 7:15am!).

If anyone else has done this tour, I'd sure appreciate a little more info. I still have time to cancel and get a full refund before we sail. :confused:

Thanks (in advance!)

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Zuiderdam 10/21-10/28 and we did this hopon/off thing for $39pp.

It was not worth the money, but we enjoyed the walk at the lighthouse. The $39 cover admission to the lighthouse which is $7 and to the prison which is $7, but there really isn't anything to see at the prison.

As for the 7 people in their 20's, I REALLY don't think they would like this tour.

If we go again we would take a taxi to Govenors Beach, the people that did that seem to like it, or just stay in the Cruise Center, beach isn't the best, but free and the pool is also and chairs are free too.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't think this tour was too bad as far as sightseeing goes. The price was a little steep since it really only stops at 3 places. Getting on at the port was a little unorganized--everyone just kinda stood there waiting on the bus to show up--not an organized line.

The lighthouse had beautiful views for great photo ops. One word of caution--even though they say this excursion is wheelchair accessible it is very hard to manuever a wheelchair around. There is a lot of crushed stone and the sidewalks don't have wheelchair ramps. Multiple times my grandmother had to get up so we could pick up or drag the wheelchair. So if you are completely wheelchair bound do not take this excursion....

Archived