Using the stairwells on the CB.

Sierra Fox

I'm going to be on the CB for the first time in Oct. and am wondering about using the stairwells on the ship to get around. Are passengers allowed to do this and is it a practical and safe way to get around?

I'm going to be on the Aloha deck and if it's only going to be a few floors up to the gym etc. then I would just as soon go up the stairs than to stand around and wait for an elevator.

I've heard that some ships try to keep the stairs for employee use only and that they are quite congested and can be unsafe at times. Can anyone comment on whether or not this is the case on the CB? Also, how early in the morning does the gym open? Thanks for any info and have a great day! - SF

There are both public and crew only stairwells.

On the deckplans in the brochures,they do show the public stairwells, usually adjacent to elevator banks. The crew stairwells are not shown on Princess deckplans.

Many people prefer to use stairs, to burn off some of the pounds they gain. I don't gain weight, and am lazy, so I use elevators.

I always use the public stairs - both for going up and down. Maybe I burn off one extra helping and it's certainly faster. BUT, if you don't have to, don't touch the railings. I'm convinced that a lot of the Norovirus stuff gets passed around because of communal railings and elevator buttons. Wash, wash, wash, wash your hands. The Princess crew cleans the railing every day, but still - it takes only one germy person to get you sick. :eek:

We were on the Baja deck and frequently used the stairs instead of the elevators to save a wait or get a little more exercise. The stairs are in front of the elevators and they are open, carpeted stairs; you won't be walking in a concrete and metal stairwell like in an office building. They're actually quite pleasant. Baja or Aloha decks are perfect in my opinion because you are right in the middle - down to the dining rooms, up to the pools. Have a great time. Kellie in Texas

I always use the public stairs - both for going up and down. Maybe I burn off one extra helping and it's certainly faster. BUT, if you don't have to, don't touch the railings. I'm convinced that a lot of the Norovirus stuff gets passed around because of communal railings and elevator buttons. Wash, wash, wash, wash your hands. The Princess crew cleans the railing every day, but still - it takes only one germy person to get you sick. :eek:

True that u may get germs from the handrails, but your hands will wash, please, please , please use the rails.........they have injuries constantly from people sliping on the stairs and falling..........i have slipped many times but have always had my hand on the railing and have not fallen and ruined my cruise...........

Our goal every cruise is to be "elevator free" for the entire cruise, and most cruises we make it (once in a while we will ride the glass elevators just to see the view from them). It really helps to keep the weight down!

Pick up a few of the tiny bottles of Purell. They are perfect for a small evening bag or pocket. Just one little squeeze and you're 99% germ free.:D

I think I"ve been in a cruise ship elevator once, when my niece wanted me to ride the panoramic lift with her. I don't even use them when I"m lugging up my carry-ons.

Definitiely use the stairs -- they're really efficient!

The only time they get congested is when people seat themselves on the steps during embarkation. Otherwise, you'll practically have them to yourself.

Archived