I finally found the rare...

6X8 photo frame! I've been searching for these ever since I got off my last cruise! :D

Anyway, in desperation, I checked eBay. There is a seller who has a really nice black, modern looking frame. I think it would be perfect for both the black and white photos that they are now selling on the ship as well as the formals. I emailed the seller and other colors and styles are also available.

This is going to be my first purchase on eBay. I can't wait to receive the frames!

To find the seller, you can do a search on 6 X 8 picture frame cruise or just do a search for the seller's name "aboxfull".

I'm going to post this on the Princess and Carnival boards because I know that they have this crazy photo size as well.

Just another option with those 6x8 photos:

I just cut my 6x8 photos and make them into 5x7...voila!..fits into any 5x7 frame! It really doesn't take anything away from the photo....1/2 inch on each side...thats usually empty space in the photo anyway.

Even though I usually cut the photos to make them fit in a 5 x 7 frame, I just returned some frames to Target because I just didn't want to cut these. After your post, I googled "6x8 picture frame" and it seems like there are a lot of options (I'm not big on eBay).

Thanks for the idea to look outside of Target.

Be careful when you google 6X8 picture frame. The vast majority of these are 6X8 on the outside, but hold a 5X7 picture!!! Make sure it is cut for a 6X8 photo.

On eBay, google 6 X 8 picture frame with the spaces and you will find the seller that I found. Those frames are made specifically for the cruise industry 6 X 8 size.

I've been to Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Aaron's, Kohl's, Target, etc. You name it and I've been there. I even tried on-line stores. I was unable to find a frame in the right size. I didn't want to cut down the pictures and I didn't want to put them in a 8X10 with a mat. That frame is just too big.

The seller just listed a few more frames. I'm ordering today. They look pretty nice.

Make sure you put the word "cruise" in with the search. That way, you weed out all the frames with a 6X8 OUTSIDE dimension. These only hold 5X7 pictures or smaller. The seller's frames are specifically sized for the cruise photos that are 6X8.

On a side note, have any of you noticed the trend toward most of the photos being 8x10 now? At least the formal ones. We have a couple from formal nights on previous cruises that are the smaller size, but on my last two cruises (Cunard and Celebrity and both this year, in case this is a recent trend) ALL of the formal night photos were 8x10. We usually don't buy the photos, and now I definitely don't want these huge things! Is Royal Caribbean headed in this same direction?

I've been to Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Aaron's, Kohl's, Target, etc. You name it and I've been there. I even tried on-line stores. I was unable to find a frame in the right size. I didn't want to cut down the pictures and I didn't want to put them in a 8X10 with a mat. That frame is just too big.

The seller just listed a few more frames. I'm ordering today. They look pretty nice.

Make sure you put the word "cruise" in with the search. That way, you weed out all the frames with a 6X8 OUTSIDE dimension. These only hold 5X7 pictures or smaller. The seller's frames are specifically sized for the cruise photos that are 6X8.

Not to be rude here, (certainly not the intent) but you sound like a commercial for this seller.. I am glad you found what you are looking for but it almost sounds like you are the seller trying to promote this item.. (just my opinion) and I could be wrong... that is just how this post comes across to me..

6x8 are harder to find but they can be found without too much difficulty.

On a side note, have any of you noticed the trend toward most of the photos being 8x10 now? At least the formal ones. We have a couple from formal nights on previous cruises that are the smaller size, but on my last two cruises (Cunard and Celebrity and both this year, in case this is a recent trend) ALL of the formal night photos were 8x10. We usually don't buy the photos, and now I definitely don't want these huge things! Is Royal Caribbean headed in this same direction?

RCCL formal photos are 8 x 10's they are 20.00 each

I didn't want to cut down the pictures and I didn't want to put them in a 8X10 with a mat. That frame is just too big.

Just did the search and you said that 8 x 10 is just to big, (ie: to mat a photo) but these on ebay are actually 10 1/2 x 8 1/2 with ability to hold the 6 x 8 phote, so it will be bigger than an 8 x 10 anyways..

and I noticed that the seller of these photo frames is from Arizona... coinsidence that southwestgal keeps pushing ebay???

I think this is fishy..

I have had luck finding 6X8 frames at Ritz Camera, not sure if they are a national chain. When I told them about my difficulty in finding that size frame, they say it's a common size for professional photographers.

I was going to offer this tip too, but you beat me to it! :)

I don't know if they're national, but they are certainly widespread. You can do a store search at ritzcamera.com. The reason Ritz sells these frames is that their machines print on 6" wide paper, so 6x8 is one of their standard enlargement sizes. (If you think about it you will see that it is double the size of the very common 4x6 but oriented in the other direction.) So of course they sell frames to go with their product. If you want a 5x7 at most Ritz stores, they will have to send it out (or at least swap out the roll of paper in the machine!)

I don't really think that 6x8s are widely offered by professionals. None of the professional labs I've looked at offer that size. 5x7 and 8x10 are still pretty much the standard in the US.

Theron

For those of you who think I'm "fishy"...I'm not affiliated with the eBay seller. I'm not located in Arizona. There are plenty of other States in the Southwest.

I've looked since January for 6X8 cruise frames and I have been unable to find them. I'm glad that others were able to do so, but I wasn't as lucky. I was excited to finally find them and thought I'd share. Good grief - why do people suspect an ulterior motive when someone posts? I've already learned not to criticize a cruise line by reading these posts. I guess I'll stay away from sharing information too.

For those of you who think I'm "fishy"...I'm not affiliated with the eBay seller. I'm not located in Arizona. There are plenty of other States in the Southwest.

I've looked since January for 6X8 cruise frames and I have been unable to find them. I'm glad that others were able to do so, but I wasn't as lucky. I was excited to finally find them and thought I'd share. Good grief - why do people suspect an ulterior motive when someone posts? I've already learned not to criticize a cruise line by reading these posts. I guess I'll stay away from sharing information too.

Don't take one comment all too seriously, you're on a public forum, people read into everything and think they know it all. Ya just gotta let it go.

I happen to think you were very kind in sharing your information, as were all the others who gave suggestions. The only problem I'd have with it is I really need to see the photo in the frame first. I don't buy a frame to match anything but the photo itself, never for the decor in my house. If you saw my wall of photos in my office, every one of them has a different color and style of frame, I think it looks great.

We usually buy one formal photo per cruise. But, unless it is very special to me, I don't get them framed at all. I have a nice photo album with only formal shots and it's filling up! It's fun to leaf through and see how our kids have grown up and a nice way to remember all the cruises we've taken.

I have no idea why the photos are all 8 X 10 on a ship, those are just too big. But, I don't recall the 6 X 8 size, I'll have to pay closer attention next time we cruise :) .

Posting to extend an apology if I offended you or anyone else.. I just thought your post seemed odd and sounded like an advertisement. If you hang around here long enough you will see what I mean.

Sorry to the OP... and thanks for sharing in case others are having a hard time finding these photo frames.

Have a nice day.:)

Posting to extend an apology if I offended you or anyone else.. I just thought your post seemed odd and sounded like an advertisement. If you hang around here long enough you will see what I mean.

Sorry to the OP... and thanks for sharing in case others are having a hard time finding these photo frames.

Have a nice day.:)

Don't feel bad. I thought the same thing, too. Had it been in response to a question asking where to find the frame I would have thought nothing of it.

I would be inclined to use scrapbooking paper to cut a matte or to buy a custom matte sized to fit the 6x8 photo and use an 8x10 frame.

And when I want a smaller photo of the formal shot, I just buy the large one and scan it at a kodak kiosk and crop it to the size I want. It's 28 cents to print the 4x6 pictures at your local you know who super center. The release can be printed and presented to the photo lab worker who is sure to try to stop you from printing a professional photo. The last time I did it, the woman actually looked so po'd because she didn't get to stop me from making the prints I wanted. I actually printed out my release before I went on my cruise and the release is good for 30 days. I like 4x6 prints of all my photos for my scrapbooks.

Sorry if I took offense a bit too quickly. I must have been having an hormonal moment. :o

I didn't think to check the national chains on-line. I checked their stores, but the local ones didn't carry them. I figured if they weren't in the store then why check their on-line site? When I finally found them I felt like I had found the pot at the end of the rainbow. I guess I got a bit carried away in my post.

P.S. I'm still excited about the find! :D

Archived