Wheelchair, Rollator question, please help me.

limpygirl

If I embark in a wheelchair, does a member of the cruise line help me? If so, can they also handle my rollator along with my wheelchair? I use both depending on what and where I have to go. My husband will be taking our carryon's with him. Just wondering so we know how to pack. If husband has to manage rollator he will not be able to handle that much carry on. Any and all answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Someone will help push you but I don't know about carry your walker. Can you fold it and put it in front of you and carry it? Or can you fold it and attach it to your push handles on your chair.?

From our experience, we folded the rollator and secured it with bungee cords to keep it closed and then had my DH hold it while being pushed by either airline staff or cruise staff. I then had to manage the carry ons. Only way I know to do it. Unless you hire two porters to help, or get someone to carry all the luggage and a second person to push your loved one in the chair. We take as little stuff on these trips as we can..........or so I like to think:rolleyes: . Good luck and enjoy your trip. I once traveled with a wheelchair, a walker and crutches. We had a great time!!!!!!!!!

I would tag my rollator and have someone push the wheelchair while hubby carrys the bags. The rollator will show up with the extra bags. Mine has always been placed in my room.

I have always brought my wheelchair and scooter as well as my canes. I have MS and never know what I will need.

• 2 weeks later...

My Mom has one of those Hugo rolling walkers which does not fold flat. We used bungee cords to keep it folded, tagged it with a luggage tag, and gave it to the porters with our checked luggage. It showed up in our cabin with our luggage.

Wish I could help your. On my last cruise and the Adventure of the Seas, my rollerator did not make it on teh same plane as I ( gate checked ). I was told that they Cruise line would pick up my rollerator if it arrived on the flight following mine. The Electric Scooter I rented was waiting for me in my stateroom so at least I was not cabine bound. The Ship sailed at 10PM and my Rollerator had not arrived yet. I was resinged to the possibility of having to buy a new one when I got back from my cruise. I was quite surprised when it showed up in my stateroom the next day. I can only imagine that it got to the ship just before it sailed and was left for the steward to deleiver the next day out.

Connie,

I'm also Connie and travel with a wheelchair (although not any other equipment) and a sweet, darling husband who handles all our carry-on baggage. Depending on the amount of carry-on he has used a fanny-pack, a back-pack and a rolling luggage carrier or combinations of the three to make his job easier. The luggage carrier is larger and more heavy duty than some I've seen. Even so it folds down to a pretty compact size when not in use. It hold a lot of carry-on.

We went on a cruise to Alaska in May this year with my cousin. We put the carry-on for all three of us on that one carrier, no problem. Hope this helps.

Happy cruising! ;)

Archived