Atlantic Weather and Wave Height

HAMBURGCruiser

for those who look forward to an TA Crossing this might be a helpful link

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/NATL-Northern/index.html

will be on the QM2 depart NY July 8

Joe

I use this link and it is very accurate. Last April I sailed on Queen Mary 2 to the Caribbean from New York right into a nor'easter. That morning I checked the wave graphics on this site and by 11 that night, the ship was pitching. Waves were covering Britannia windows. Over 850 people were seasick and had to get a shot, according to the captain. Storm lasted about 18 hours. We kept full speed through it, about 27-28 knots. I love that kind of weather and did not get sick. It was exhilarating, even when I fell once!

Happy Sailings!

Thanks for the great resource, Hamburgcruiser! We, too, will be on the 7/8 TA. This is our first crossing so I am unfamiliar with what wave height would cause the ship to move the way Bobby1119 describes last April's cruise.

Could either of you inform me as I am prone to motion sickness?

Thanks for the great resource, Hamburgcruiser! We, too, will be on the 7/8 TA. This is our first crossing so I am unfamiliar with what wave height would cause the ship to move the way Bobby1119 describes last April's cruise.

The captain reported that the waves were 25 feet.

Hi Texwell,

the QM2 will move, hopefully forward towards Hamburg.

Difficult to answer as there too many aspect which might feel you seathick.

Generally one can say that Human beings instinctively seek to remain upright by keeping their center of gravity over their feet. The most important way this is achieved is by visual reference to surrounding objects, such as the horizon. Seasickness often results from the visual confusion on a moving craft, when nearby objects move with the motion of the craft. Because the lines of the masts, windows and furniture on a ship are constantly shifting with respect to fixed references, humans can suffer a number of afflictions, especially those unaccustomed to being at sea.

Sea-sickness has such a remarkable effect because both the sense of sight and touch are disturbed by the motion of a craft on water. The severity of seasickness is also influenced by the irregular pressure of the bowels against the diaphragm as they shift with the rising and falling of the ship.

Over-the-counter and presciption medications such as DRAMAMINE are readily available. Some sufferers find that wearing special wristbands also helps stave off the condition.

Those suffering from seasickness who are unaccustomed to the motion of a ship often find relief by

• keeping their eyes directed to the fixed shore or horizon, where possible
  • lying down on their backs and closing their eyes
  • drinking any substance that is likely to temporarily diminish their senses of sight and touch
  • move into a position where fresh air is blowing on their face
  • sucking on crystalised ginger, sipping ginger tea or taking a capsule of ginger.
  • keeping near the centre of the boat where any rocking motion is least pronounced

Happy sailing

Joe

Thanks, Joe, for the reassurance. I'm prepared with prescription and over-the-counter remedies but would prefer to have the natural remedies on hand so I appreciate your suggestions. Our cabin is almost exactly in the middle of deck 6 (in-hull balcony) so it seems we're in the perfect location for the most stability.

Now I'll just plan to relax and enjoy!

Earlene

Thanks, Joe, for the reassurance. I'm prepared with prescription and over-the-counter remedies but would prefer to have the natural remedies on hand so I appreciate your suggestions. Our cabin is almost exactly in the middle of deck 6 (in-hull balcony) so it seems we're in the perfect location for the most stability.

Now I'll just plan to relax and enjoy!

Earlene

Hi Earlene,

just found the following message in another board.

So I think that we will have a great and comfortable journey.

Joe

post_old.gif April 20th, 2006, 11:00 PM

Emu user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_6425291", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifStabilizers on the QM2

I was on board the whole voyage form LA to NY and found the stabilizers controlled the ROLL of the ship magnificently. (It was less than 3 degrees at the maximum) (some unstabilised ships experience roll angles of up to 40 degrees!!!!)

If you are high up on the ship it will always feel more pronounced.

I think you may be referring to PITCHING which is the up and down motion of the ship and nothing in the world has yet been invented that can do anything about this. A ship of the QM2s length will always pitch given the right combination of swell frequency and height.

As for the whole voyage, the weather was excellent overall......... no wind over force 6 (which was only briefly anyway) and the highest classifiaction the seas registered was rough........... which is just over halfway up the scale!

I was actually a bit disappointed that Cape Horn was so out of character with ONLY a 25 foot swell running!

In the words of the Captain, "the QM2 has without a doubt the best seagoing characteristics" and I for one would not choose any other vessel to run into REALLY rough seas on.

I have been onboard when the waves have been breaking over the bow with water over the 4th floor windows............. so we had it very good for the whole trip!!

• 2 weeks later...

HamburgCruiser and Texwell,

My husband and I will also be on this T/A. This is our first cruise and am not sure about sea sickness, but my pharmacist did recommend Ginger pills and Bonine.

I checked out the link for the waves, it is very cool.

Hope to see you all onboard....but hopefully not in line for the sea sickness shot :)

Deb

for those who look forward to an TA Crossing this might be a helpful link

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/NATL-Northern/index.html

will be on the QM2 depart NY July 8

Joe

Hi All,

the best I could find sofar is a 72 Hrs forcast animation for Atlantic waves at

http://facs.scripps.edu/surf/nata.html

Happy sailing

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Earlene and Deb, what a great trip and such a wonderful calm sea. We all have been very lucky!!

Even the forecast at http://facs.scripps.edu/surf/nata.html worked out to be very correct.

We never will forget the impressions of Manhattan when Captain Christopher Rynd made an extra tour backwards on the Hudson. Thanks to him for these unforgettable moments.

As we had such a great time onboard QM2 we immediately booked the Norwegian Odyssey M716 voyage departing Southampton on June 16, 2007

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Earlene and Deb, what a great trip and such a wonderful calm sea. We all have been very lucky!!

Even the forecast at http://facs.scripps.edu/surf/nata.html worked out to be very correct.

We never will forget the impressions of Manhattan when Captain Christopher Rynd made an extra tour backwards on the Hudson. Thanks to him for these unforgettable moments.

As we had such a great time onboard QM2 we immediately booked the Norwegian Odyssey M716 voyage departing Southampton on June 16, 2007

Joe

http://facs.scrips.edu/surf has been moved to http://www.lajollasurf.org/

new direct links is

http://www.lajollasurf.org/images/maps/ganimnat.gif

• 2 weeks later...
I use this link and it is very accurate. Last April I sailed on Queen Mary 2 to the Caribbean from New York right into a nor'easter. That morning I checked the wave graphics on this site and by 11 that night, the ship was pitching. Waves were covering Britannia windows. Over 850 people were seasick and had to get a shot, according to the captain. Storm lasted about 18 hours. We kept full speed through it, about 27-28 knots. I love that kind of weather and did not get sick. It was exhilarating, even when I fell once!

Happy Sailings!

was that the april 2nd sailing we were on that cruise on 10 deck starboard side and the wave or the heavy spray from the wave was hitting our balcony glass door the heaviest part of the wave was hitting the bridge. I was told 40 to 50 foot waves. it was quite an experience we never missed a meal or a cocktail although we did a few stutter steps walking to the dining room one evening.. greaat memories!!! best regards jim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived