Skagway to Whitehorse

mar326

Can anyone tell me how long it would take to do this route? Chould a person drive up to Whitehorse and then make all the senic stops on the way back? Would it be possible to see most of the good viewing areas from north to south route verses the other way?

Just as a side. the Scenery significantly drops off past Emerald Lake. Boring actually. :) You are adding 2 hours at least going to Whitehorse. I go for the Harley Shop. :) Some attractions that you can look at quick but plenty more that you won't have time for. So yes with a full Skagway port day, you can easily add Whitehorse.

Unless you've been to Skagway so many times you're bored with it (or just love sitting in a car all day), going to Whitehorse isn't recommended. It's 224 miles return (almost 5 hours with border crossings if you're in a hurry - a whole lot more if you stop to see anything).

Murray

Mar,

We were on the road by 9:00am. Made all the stops we wanted going each direction (highly encourage this - things that looked Majestic going up, did not look the same coming back and vice versa). Spent 20 minutes in Carcross, 1 hour exactly in White Horse (Harley dealership - lunch, very little walking around) and we were back in Skagway proper at 4:00pm. We did not have any traffic though, this may be more of an issue during the heart of the season.

I agree the scenery past Emerald Lake alone is not worth it. For DH it was complete bragging rights that he DROVE there and we got our Harley shirts! It added 3 hours to our trip! I personally, started freaking out a little that we were so far away from the ship, but once we were back past Emerald lake and started seeing all the tour buses again, I felt better.

Tammy

Archived