Rum Swizzle Inn

dymondgrl

Does anyone know how far the Rum Swizzle Inn is from King's Wharf? Can you get there by bus? Also what is the closest beach to the Wharf? I have always sailed into St. George and know my why around that area really well. This is our first time on the Dawn. Any info will be appreciated.

The Swizzle Inn is closer to St George, so it would be a long bus ride from King's Wharf requiring at least one change of bus. However, you can take the ferry to Hamilton and then a bus from there, and I thought I heard that there is also a ferry between King;s Wharf and St George -- you could take a taxi or a shorter bus ride from there.

There's a new Swizzle Inn on South Shore Road. Here's the article from the Gazette:

South Shore Swizzle Inn opens

persbilde?Avis=RG&ID=holrob&maxw=80By Robin Holder

Jay Correia owns a restaurant offering a large outdoor seating area, pub food and rum swizzles. It's located beside a busy road frequented by visitors.

But it's not the Swizzle Inn in Bailey's Bay (also owned by Mr. Correia) but the former Paw Paw's on South Shore Road, Warwick, where he is hoping the same formula that has made the original "Swizzle" a popular tourism haunt for decades will work again.

"For the longest time I had no intention of running two businesses at the same time but Swizzle Inn (Blue Hole Hill) is an established business and I feel I have taken it as far as I can," Mr. Correia said. "As we do so well at Bailey's Bay, a second location on the Island will potentially do well too."

Swizzle Inn South Shore opened this week and Mr. Correia says it has been popular with visitors and residents alike.

Mr. Correia said the South Shore is an attractive location to operate a good, fun casual pub restaurant where locals and tourists can mingle.

"In recent years there has been a proliferation of new high end restaurants but there has there hasn't been a lot of growth in the casual pub industry," he said.

Swizzle Inn South Shore will aim to retain the ambience of its East End venue with teak furniture, Swizzle Inn umbrellas, popular pub food, live entertainment and graffiti on the walls but there are some differences.

"The menu is very similar but with some additional items such as pizza which we don't offer at Bailey's Bay and we are expanding our dinner menu to incorporate some more entrées."

The new location also features a large outdoor patio, an indoor non-smoking dining area and live evening entertainment will be provided.

Sporting events will also be shown and Mr. Correia is hoping World Cup fans will watch the games and gift items will be offered at The Swagger Out gift ship.

"We will take a shot at the Friday night happy hour and see if there is an interest with people coming here as opposed to going to popular Hamilton spots."

Paw Paw's original staff have been retained to work at the restaurant but additional staff from Swizzle Inn have been hired.

Swizzle Inn South Shore will operate seven days a week from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. and food will be served up to 10 p.m.

We were at the Swizzle Inn last week. It is located at the same bus stop for the Caves. What a great place! You could not ask for better scenery, food, or drinks. We absolutely, positively loved it. Be sure to have the Bermuda Fish Chowder.

Spurs Fans: Where were you docked? Did you catch a bus from Hamilton? If so, how long of a bus ride is it? I also love the Fish Chowder and Onion Rings there. My DH and I usually finish a pitcher of Rum Swizzles with the appetizers and Swagger back to the boat. We have been there every time we have done the Boston to Bermuda cruise on the Majesty and are looking forward to going again next week on the Dawn.

No trip to Bermuda is complete without a trip to the Swizzle Inn....fish sandwiches, rum punch, a new t-shirt, chicken wings, people watching and listening to the Bermuda Symphony (ambulances)lol and at night... well, it;s a riot...as long as you get a bus back or manage a taxi

Spurs Fans: Where were you docked? Did you catch a bus from Hamilton? If so, how long of a bus ride is it? I also love the Fish Chowder and Onion Rings there. My DH and I usually finish a pitcher of Rum Swizzles with the appetizers and Swagger back to the boat. We have been there every time we have done the Boston to Bermuda cruise on the Majesty and are looking forward to going again next week on the Dawn.

You have done the Majesty from Boston to Bermuda and you are docked in St George. From there it is on the bus line before the Crystal Caves, not very far. On the Dawn, you will be at the other end of the island at the dockyard. The transportation pass is good for both the buses and the ferries. One day is $12 and two days is $20 each. There is a ferry from the dockyard to ST George and takes an hour, with great views. But the last ferry from St George back to the dockyard is around 4:30. If you went to the Swizzle Inn, you would have to take the bus back to Hamilton and then another to the dockyards. Depending how late you would stay, you probably be better off splitting a cab with another couple as the fare would probably be around $60 at least. I think the new Swizzle Inn on the South Shore might be a more viable option, and cheaper if you missed the last bus and had to taxi back to the dockyard. Remember also that the shops in the Dockyard are open to 10PM rather than 6, when there is a cruise ship docked.

NCL Majesty Aug 2004, NCL Majesty Sept 2005, NCL Majesty Sept 2006

We saw the new location in May and it's a lot closer to the Dockyard than the original location. We were actually in a cab on our way to the original Swizzle Inn from a morning at Horseshoe Beach when we passed it (we had no idea there was a new location and neither did our driver) and it has a very similar feel to the old location. The Original Swizzle is convenient to Hamilton and St. George, but 2 buses or a bus and a ferry (ferry alone is 1/2 an hour) from the Dockyard. A cab to Swizzle from HBay was $33! Our advice? Pay alot for a cab (to avoid spending your day on public transportation) or try the new location. Btw, we took the number 10 bus back to Hamilton after our "original" swizzles (the bus stop is right in front of the restaurant and across the road) and caught the 3:00 ferry back to dockyard (arrived at 3:30, had a little time to shop, and reboarded the NCL Spirit for a 4:30 all aboard...)

We were in Bermuda last year on Voyager of the Seas. I've lost track of how many times I have been to Bermuda - I'm definitely an Onion! This was the first time by ship in a very, very lont time; the first time docked at King's Wharf and the first time without a moped :-(. My sister and I took the ferry into Hamilton, and the bus from there to the Aquarium - not far from the Swizzle Inn. The ride to the Aquarium took about 15-20 minutes - be sure to take a bus that does the North Shore route - it's shorter. From the Aquarium to the Swizzle Inn was about 5 minutes.

We met some fellow VotS pax who went to the Swizzle Inn on my recommendation and had a great lunch that lasted about 3 hours and many pitchers of swizzle. We all hoped a Middle Rd bus back to Hamilton (right across the road from the SI) and had a wonderful day. We took the ferry back.

We got the 2 day pass that includes unlimited bus and ferry trips. It's the best if you are not brave enough to do a moped!

• 6 months later...

Archived