Cell Phones in Western Caribbean?

ElBano

Can anyone tell me if my cell phone will work while on the Mariner or in the Western Caribbean? I have the Verizon Nationwide plan. If I can use it will there be extra chargesk because I will be out of the US?:rolleyes:

Thanks!

I recently did western caribbean on Carnival. We visited Costa Maya, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios. I had to call Verizon before I left and have them add International dialing to my phone to be able to even use it. I had no reception in Costa Maya or Grand Cayman. I was however able to use it with no problem in Ocho Rios. I was charged about $3-$4 a minute. It can add up very quickly. I found the prepaid calling cards that you can buy on the islands to be a better deal.

You might want to take your cell phone just in case of emergency. When we cruised one year with the hurricanes we needed the phone alot in Florida just to call the cruiseline, our hotel, and other hotels because everything was closing down.

Just want to add, I wouldnt use it any other time because I think they are rude to have around other people just to be chit-chatting while on the ship or any other public places. Only good in emergencies.

Can anyone tell me if my cell phone will work while on the Mariner or in the Western Caribbean? I have the Verizon Nationwide plan. If I can use it will there be extra chargesk because I will be out of the US?:rolleyes:

Thanks!

My daughter's worked in Cozumel. she has Verizion. Cell phones will work in port usually just not when out in the ocean. Now you may pay a higher charge-but your phone will work.

Archived