Carnival Elation - TELL ALL THREAD

Hi Kayeo - In Grand Turk we did the Gibbs Cay snorkel and stingray excursion. We had a great experience - you go out on a boat with probably 30 - 40 people and it is about a 10 - 15 minute ride to Gibbs Cay. They pull up in a very shallow area - mid calf deep. Once we were off the boat - stingrays immediately started gliding around us. The guides gave us cut up fish to feed the stingrays. I did this - and did it wrong. My finger tips got sucked up into the stingray's mouth. They don't have teeth - but they do have a powerful suction. I was able to jerk my fingers out without any damage. The guides show you how to feed them - but the food started slipping and I was trying to catch it about the same time the stingray tried to eat it. After about 20 minutes with the stingrays - we went to the other side of the boat to snorkel. I have limited snorkel experience (Key West and Jamaica). I saw more fish and sea life here than I have in other places. We snorkeled probably a good 45 minutes. Then I took a break and walked along the beach with my 9 y.o. daughter. All in all - I would say we were at the beach about and hour and a half - then road in the boat (both ways) about 25-30 minutes. When we got back to the pier we checked out a couple of the shops and went to Margaritaville. If you have family (young children) and don't want them exposed to alot of partying - you need to walk around the backside of the swimming pool and find a spot there. The younger - partying crowd stayed closer to the DJ and bar area. We found an area that was mostly family and enjoyed having the freshwater pool to cool off in.

This was our first time at any of these ports - I have heard alot of people do not like San Juan - however we enjoyed our time there. We got off the ship - out of the port - and took a tour (not booked through carnival). I know that may have been risky, but the company we booked with was large - the bus was in good shape - and didn't appear to have any problems. Our tour guide was very informative. He took us through Old San Juan, New San Juan, the capitol building and to a couple of the forts. He knew alot of history and was very personable. The tour lasted about 2-1/2 hours then he dropped us off in Old San Juan for some shopping. (He offered to drop people at several different areas including the pier) We walked through the streets - got some decent deals in the designer purse stores, went to Hard Rock and Senor Frogs (had a teenager with us who wanted T's) and walked back to the pier. We didn't have any difficulty navigating our way through the area.

We did an island tour in St. Thomas (booked through Carnival) I think it was the Blackbeard and Island shopping tour. We toured the island in an open air taxi, went to blackbeards tower, took the walking tour, did the 99 steps to town - shopped - then took a taxi back to the pier. At blackbeard's tower there were several pools - we didn't stop for swims, but noticed others did. We enjoyed it - again it was our first time there.

At Half-Moon Cay we didn't do excursions - we just played in the water. There were a good many different types of fish that didn't seem shy about swimming around crowds of people. The kids enjoyed the water slide and the youngest liked the ocean toys that are tethered to the ocean floor. One of them had a small slide on it as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies, y'all! We are booked on the Valor again, but I am SERIOUSLY considering changing the reservation.

Can I get some other reviews of the snorkeling at Half Moon Cay and Grand Turk?

The only problem with this itinerary that I can see is San Juan. I don't like San Juan because all you can really do is take tours of the city.

Any other fish out of water types that can give me some reports?

I would also like some more reports on the food outlets, as well.

And I am also reading reviews! I can never get too much cruising info!!!

Thanks!

Archived