Currency in the Baltics?

shsunseeker

I am going on the Celebrity 14 day Baltic cruise departing Dover on 6/17/06. In Estonia, Russia, Sweden, Denmark are dollars accepted? I know the other countries we are visiting are on the Euro. I will obviously have a credit card but for the street vendors etc. I am curious?

Can someone who has been help with som info?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,

The husband and I were on the Cunard Caronia in 2004 for a 14 day Baltics cruise. We didn't really buy anything off the ship other than at restaurants and they took credit cards. We enchanged currency onboard ship ($20 at a time - maybe!) and ended up with most of the currency left over - we just didn't spend it. The tours that we took were either morning or afternoon (back to ship for lunch) or all day and included lunch so we didn't spend any cash or used CC (we've stopped buying stuff for the sake of buying it - we have too much 'stuff' already!). Tips were given in the local currency. Some in the group gave US $ as tips and they was accepted. We were in England, Stockholm, Estonia, Russia, Germany, Amsterdam, Finland. I'm sure the ship will have a currency exchange. CC's were widely accepted (MC & Visa - Amex less so). Since our cruise was on a British ship, we were spending pounds (1.80 to the dollar at the time) so we went into denial and pretended they were just dollars! The 900 pound shipboard account was still a shock!

I'm sure you'll have a great time and even better, your shipboard account will be in $!

Doug

Archived