Question about taking GPS thru Security

We have just purchased a portable Garmin GPS system to use on a long road trip in the US. We are going on a cruise to Europe in September and are thinking about getting the maps for London and France as we are doing some of the ports on our own. Does anyone know if taking a GPS through security at airports creates any type of problems? I know that when we flew in out of Gatwick last year we went thru two security checks in which they checked everything very carefully.I would hate for it to get confiscated!

Since the husband and kids have begun "Geocaching" (4 yrs. ago) that GPS goes everywhere with us (yes, it just got back from Europe). My husband keeps all of the electronics in one backpack (to make it easier for security). We have never had a problem with security anywhere. The only trouble we got into once was on the airplane when our 12 year old let the stewardess know that according to the safety manual and the type of plane we were in, the pilot was speeding! (needless to say, he DIDN'T get the extra nuts on his ice cream sundae that flight)!!!

We have just purchased a portable Garmin GPS system to use on a long road trip in the US. We are going on a cruise to Europe in September and are thinking about getting the maps for London and France as we are doing some of the ports on our own. Does anyone know if taking a GPS through security at airports creates any type of problems? I know that when we flew in out of Gatwick last year we went thru two security checks in which they checked everything very carefully.I would hate for it to get confiscated!

I have travelled with my GPS all over the world for the past few years and have never had a problem. Mine is a Garmin PDA one - but I also have a bluetooth receiver extra.

I have never had anyone even look twice at the stuff. I think nowadays they are sofisticated enough to take a swab of anything that looks funny and put it through some kind of testing machine.

I take a ton of wires etc, ipod, laptop, camera, pda/gps stuff in my backpack - all the wires are packed in see through bags - and they often take them out to double check them.

Recently someone on a different website recommended putting all your wires in the see-through bags like I already do, and take them OUT of your backpack and put those in a tray. That makes it easier for people to see that you have nothing to hide.

Ditto, here! My GPS goes with me on every trip, whether in the USA, Canada, or abroad. I have never once been questioned about it. And, I keep all my electronics/photo gear all together in a carry on to make it easier for the TSA troops.

Archived