Princess Grill vs. Queens Grill

cajun_corgi

I am booked into a P1 on the 07/18 crossing. I am wondering if I should be offered an upgrade, should I take it. It sounds like most people like the Princess grill better than the Queens Grill, because it is smaller, more intimate. Please help!

I am booked into a P1 on the 07/18 crossing. I am wondering if I should be offered an upgrade, should I take it. It sounds like most people like the Princess grill better than the Queens Grill, because it is smaller, more intimate. Please help!

Which ship are to on? On the QE2 I would rather be in Queens than Princess. Likewise I'd rather be in Princess than Britannia, Britannia than Caronia. I wouldn't even look at the Mauritania! My reason for saying that is mainly snob value (!) and the further up the ship you go the better the cabin. I also think the service is better in the QG although there's not much difference (or at least there wasn't when I was last in QG - many years ago).

should I take it.
We have been upgraded from P1 to Q3 for Med cruise this week.

Not that I have sailed on the QM2 before, so I don't have any comparison.

Just the fact that we are going from 381sqft. to 796 sqft. getting all the extras like butler, stocked bar etc.

I didn't think twice about turnng it down.

If you are offered the upgrade, TAKE IT !!! Admitedly, I am a snob....but I loved The Queens Grill. Take the tour of the kitchen (galley), fascinating. I was in a mini suite (Q3) with butler service, and balcony. I think it's worth every penny. Have a great trip!!;) OOps, just notice you are on the QM2, I was on the QE2...sorry.

If you are offered the upgrade, TAKE IT !!! Admitedly, I am a snob....but I loved The Queens Grill. Take the tour of the kitchen (galley), fascinating. I was in a mini suite (Q3) with butler service, and balcony. I think it's worth every penny. Have a great trip!!;) OOps, just notice you are on the QM2, I was on the QE2...sorry.

Neither QM2 or QE2 have Q3 grades with balcony.....

Q3 on QE2 doesn't have butler service, as they are in the main decks. (I'm not sure about 8183 on the sun deck.)

Neither QM2 or QE2 have Q3 grades with balcony.....

Q3 on QE2 doesn't have butler service, as they are in the main decks. (I'm not sure about 8183 on the sun deck.)

Sorry I meant Q2, I was in 8016. Sorry for the mistake.

You might consider declining an upgrade to one of the "wheelchair accessible" QG suites, e.g. 9034. We were upgraded to that cabin two years ago and found that, while it did have an enormous wheel-in bathroom, it had no walk-in closet and no dressing table. Happily, the second day the Chief Purser swapped us with a passenger who really needed the accessible features. All of the "wheelchair accessible" suites are so marked on the deck plans.

Good luck,

Paul

Oh DEAR. I love the QE2, but you really are snobs. QG or Princess? Wouldn't touch the Mauretania!!!!:p The first cruise we took on her we were in BUNK BEDS and we had a wonderful time. So little time is spent IN the cabin that we would rather go more often than have a big cabin. Since that first time we have been as far up as the Caronia's top cabins BUT we have met some wonderful people all over the ship. The food and service in Mauretania are superb (if you treat your waiters as human beings and not some sort of underclass).:( . One couple we met actually

came down to the LIDO from QG and were pleasantly suprised at the standard down there, they came to see our cabin and again liked it-----or -----maybe they were just being nice to the peasants:rolleyes:

Oh DEAR. I love the QE2, but you really are snobs. QG or Princess? Wouldn't touch the Mauritania!!!!:p The first cruise we took on her we were in BUNK BEDS and we had a wonderful time. So little time is spent IN the cabin that we would rather go more often than have a big cabin. Since that first time we have been as far up as the Caronia's top cabins BUT we have met some wonderful people all over the ship. The food and service in Mauritania are superb (if you treat your waiters as human beings and not some sort of underclass).:( . One couple we met actually

came down to the LIDO from QG and were pleasantly surprised at the standard down there, they came to see our cabin and again liked it-----or -----maybe they were just being nice to the peasants:rolleyes:

CG - Is this in response to my earlier post? I'm proud to say that I've eaten in every public restaurant on the QE2 (not the staff one, although I'd be keen to try it and I've only been for drinks in the Wardroom, not a meal). I've been in Mauritania the most and Britannia the least (only for one meal). My reasons for saying that I "wouldn't even look at Mauritania" are twofold: firstly, I've become accustomed to being able to eat when I want, not at a time specified by Cunard; and secondly, over the past 15 years I've seen both prices and quality deteriorate across the entire ship - It's more than 10 years since I last ate there and the quality was fine then, but now I suspect that it is not of quite the same standard.

The standards in the Princess Grill now are what the Mauritania was 15 years ago (the prices aren't far off what they were either); They didn't offer cabins with bunk beds the first time I was on her - they were just for staff use - they only appeared for passengers when it became imperative the ship make a profit.

I do say that a lot of my reasoning is snob value, but there is also some thought behind it as well.

The Bunk bed cruise was 21 years ago and I do agree that the standards have gone down since that time. Due as you say to the need to make profits and as cruising has beome more popular it has tended to become more informal, one of the reasons I like QE2 is because it is more formal and glamourous in the evenings and I would not like that to change. We like to eat early so the two sittings suits us. I do not object to high standards just do not like people who think they are 'better' because they can afford a big cabin and look down on those who can't. Some of the nicest people we have met over the years have been 'well heeled' likewise

people who have saved to have their 'dream cruise' albeit on the lower decks have also been most charming. Trouble is once you have had one cruise you're hooked. Hence I would rather go as often as possible. All the best to you

The Bunk bed cruise was 21 years ago and I do agree that the standards have gone down since that time. Due as you say to the need to make profits and as cruising has beome more popular it has tended to become more informal, one of the reasons I like QE2 is because it is more formal and glamourous in the evenings and I would not like that to change. We like to eat early so the two sittings suits us. I do not object to high standards just do not like people who think they are 'better' because they can afford a big cabin and look down on those who can't. Some of the nicest people we have met over the years have been 'well heeled' likewise

people who have saved to have their 'dream cruise' albeit on the lower decks have also been most charming. Trouble is once you have had one cruise you're hooked. Hence I would rather go as often as possible. All the best to you

You do sound like a cool gran!!

I'm with you, except i'm really excited that my next one will be QG, i've always fancied it on the QE2 more than the QM2 because the restaurants look exactly the same as each other on the QM. I think mauritania was much better food than I have had on celebrity which everyone else seems to rave about.

The Bunk bed cruise was 21 years ago

I'm astonished - my relationship with the QE2 started about 15 years ago - I'm just going from memory but I'm sure they didn't offer the bunk cabins then. They did have them, but used them for accommodating the entertainers, etc. I wonder if Cunard stopped using them at one point and then started again. Does anyone have a brochure from the early 90's? Will you check?

One of the reasons I like QE2 is because it is more formal and glamorous in the evenings and I would not like that to change.

I do hate to bring the subject of jeans into another thread (but I'm going to anyway), that's why jeans for dinner is not a good idea on at least this ship.

We like to eat early so the two sittings suits us.

We don't, normally we prefer to eat late. But on occasion we will eat at 7-30 - not possible with sittings.

Oh DEAR. I love the QE2, but you really are snobs. QG or Princess? Wouldn't touch the Mauretania!!!!:p The first cruise we took on her we were in BUNK BEDS and we had a wonderful time. So little time is spent IN the cabin that we would rather go more often than have a big cabin. Since that first time we have been as far up as the Caronia's top cabins BUT we have met some wonderful people all over the ship. The food and service in Mauretania are superb (if you treat your waiters as human beings and not some sort of underclass).:( . One couple we met actually

came down to the LIDO from QG and were pleasantly suprised at the standard down there, they came to see our cabin and again liked it-----or -----maybe they were just being nice to the peasants:rolleyes:

with all you had to say. I'm a 'coolgran' too;) . As such, I remember my first cruise on the old QM, in bunk beds !!! Had a great time with everyone, I was only 15, not hard at that age. If you are a person with a good value system, it doesn't matter where you are on a ship. You'll find good people who don't treat the staff like underclass. :)

Thanks to SSNorway & nanagirl. How super to get an upgrade no wonder you are excited.To pnhmrk I too do not think jeans are suitable especially those horrible torn ones. I assure you that in 1985 we were in bunk beds and again in 1992. Have got the 1987 Brochure in which M grade is Inside,

Bed & Upper Berth on Decks 2,4 & 5.

I assure you that in 1985 we were in bunk beds and again in 1992. Have got the 1987 Brochure in which M grade is Inside,

Bed & Upper Berth on Decks 2,4 & 5.

I'm not doubting you - it's just that I don't remember them. Although I do remember visiting an entertainer and him having a cabin with bunk beds on deck four.

When cabins are required for onboard entertainers, it is the bunk rooms which are used. If they are previously booked by paying passengers, those passengers are upgraded.

When cabins are required for onboard entertainers, it is the bunk rooms which are used. If they are previously booked by paying passengers, those passengers are upgraded.

We have been upgraded from C2 to P2 to make way for an 'entertainer' before now.

Ken

Archived