Anchorage on a budget

teammom

We will be arriving in Anchorage on July 3rd and leaving on the Carnival Spirit on the 5th. The more I look at Kenai Fjords the more I think we should have included this in our plans. We are a family of 5 and it is a little expensive. Is there another way to see glaicers from Anchorage without going on a tour? What other exciting things should I consider for the city. We were planning on just attending the 4th of July festivities but other things are sounding more interesting to me now.

The 4th of July is actually pretty fun around here since the fireworks downtown go off late in the evening of July 3 (it's the only time there is some semblance of darkness to see them).

If you have a car, you can drive to the Begich-Boggs Visitor Center in Portage Valley where you can see multiple hanging glaciers above the valley. You can also take a mini-cruise on the MV Ptarmigan that goes onto Portage Lake to the face of Portage Glacier. Right now that trip is running $29.00 per person with half-off on the late afternoon departure. Kids under 12 go for $14.50.

While it's not on a par with the trips to Kenai Fjords or Prince William Sound, it's still a good visit to a glacier. For more information, go to the Portage Glacier Cruises website at http://www.graylineofalaska.com

Thanks for the info. I'm glad to know that the fireworks are on the 3rd and not the 4th. Where is the best place to view the fireworks. We are staying at the Inlet tower. Can we see them from there.

You can see fireworks any year.... I would head straight for Seward. Exit glacier, sea life center, nice beach area. My family of 4 had a great time down there without spending much $ at all. If that sounds too tiring, we also spent a night just 45 miles north of anchorage at the best western lake lucille that my kids really enjoyed.

As only my opinion, Kenai fjords and Denali Park are ALWAYS included on every trip I take to Alaska and my top choices for wildlife. I agree, that fireworks would not be my preference. Have a family meeting and make some hard choices. Perhaps Portage Glacier would be a possibility. Or, depending on your group ages, Glacier trekking is wonderful. 2 hour drive from Anchorage- http://www.micaguides.com

If you find you don't have time for Seward, consider taking one of the day cruises for glacier viewing out of Whittier the same day of embarkation. You'll have plenty of time to board ship following the excursion. My experience, glacier viewing via smaller boat way outranks what you'll see from the ship, even on the best of days. There are several tour companies, and an offer in particular that got my attention was advertised in the Anchorage newspaper a couple of weeks ago. It was the Phillips 26 Glacier tour combined with the Alaska Railroad for a very nicely discounted price. I don't recall the expiration date of the offering, but there is one. Call either company if you're interested.

Otherwise, maybe a one-way car rental from Anchorage to Whittier, giving you an overnight in Anchorage (where you can see the fireworks on the 3rd, drive to Seward in time to board a 6 hour Kenai Fjords cruise (we took Renown using toursaver coupon), overnight Seward on the 4th, enjoy a bit of town in the morning, with the rest of the day spent traveling to Whittier, then boarding your ship on the 5th.

If you really don't want a lot of driving... a morning could easily be spent at Independence Mine State Park, less than a couple of hours drive north of Anchorage. Add that to the guided glacier trek recommended by Budget Queen, and I think you could have a great day, reasonably priced.

I agree with Budget Queen. Your kids would remember Glacier trekking for the rest of their lives. Matanuska Glacier is awesome. Doing is so much more fun than just seeing. Our B and B offered free bikes and we also rode the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. If you are not locked into Inlet Towers, the B and B was Anchorage Walkabout B and B. We had a full kitchen and a little den available to us as well as a room that could sleep 4-5. http://www.anchoragewalkabout.com

Archived