Vienna ideas

M&T

I understand that it is a good idea to call ahead to Schoenbrunn Palace for a specific time, so you don't have to wait. I also understand that it gets very crowded by 930. Our ship docks at 8AM. We are thinking of taking the subway into old town, see the opera house, St. Stephans, and Nachmarket. Then, we may take the subway to Heitzing which has a beautiful old Church and Cafe Dommayer with fantastic pastry and a "feel of old Vienna" (one exit past Schoenbrunn). After lunch go to Schoenbrunn, the gardens, and the coach museum. Then, head back to the city for evening ambiance in the squares. We had wanted to do Schoenbrunn in the morning, but I'm afraid we couldn't get there before the crowds. Any suggestions or other ideas? We will be there on the Amadeus Symphony on Tuesday, July 4. Marlyne

Sounds like you have great plans for Vienna. It looks like a full day. A tour of the opera house was a highlight of my visit last year.

Schoenbrunn Palace has timed admission tickets. Theoretically that should keep your tour of the palace manageable, but I was just ahead of a large tour group and had a much better experience than friends who were behind the tour group. The audioguide is excellent.

I would advise reservations whether you go in the morning or afternoon. Phone ahead and get the reservation at 01/8111-3239. Arrive before your time, pick up your ticket, and wait in the Gardens.

Rick Steves explains it well in his Germany and Austria book. Check it out at the library.

Marlyne,

Seems like you have enough for one day. If you still need something to do, there are some suggestions in my review of our Mozart´ cruise (linked in my signature). You will also find explanations of how to get to the subway, how to use the ticket machine, which ticket to buy. I also put in all urls of the places but DH forgot to link them. So you need to copy and paste them.

steamboats

Thanks. I did read your posts about the subway and machines, etc. They are very helpful. I also read Rick Steves information. That was how I knew about the phoning ahead. It is always nice to confirm with others that that is the way to do it. Anyone been to the Naschmarkt? Thanks. Marlyne

Marlyne,

No, I haven´t been there recently. I remember I´ve been there on my first visit to Vienna but that´s more than 20 years ago :) . Here are some basic infos from www.vienna.info

Naschmarkt

Right by the Secession and the Theater an der Wien: Vienna’s largest and best known market offers a mixture of Viennese and international specialities.

Flea market (6.30am-4pm) every Saturday.

Mon-Fri 6am-6.30pm, Sat 6am-5pm,

First Saturday in the month open till 6pm, food stalls: Mon-Sat 6am-1opm, farm produce market Sat 6am-5pm

4., Wienzeile

U1, U2, U4: Karlsplatz

I think it´s quite similar to the Munich Viktualienmarkt (a mixture of fruit/vegetables, cheese, honey, flowers, bread, fish and meat stands and some tourist stuff too). And I´m sure you´ll love it! It´s closed on Sundays and there´s a flea market on Saturdays.

steamboats

If you have time, take the elevator to the top of St. Stephans church. Great views and also you will get a close up view of the big bell. There is a nominal charge for the elevator ride. If you get the same operator we had try to breathe through you mouth. This guy hadn't taken a bath in months. Willard

Since you have photo in your name, is it a correct assumption that you take a lot of great photos? What other recommendations do you have for getting great shots in the ports from Budapest through Prague. Marlyne

Hello M&T - Your assumption is correct, not about great photos but I am a retired news photog. Need info on what camera you will be shooting with. At this point my suggestion would be to forget flash inside any church or museum. Are you using digital or film? If digital, need to know if you have the capability of changing the ISO to 400. Will be glad to give you some suggestions if I know what camera. We did our first river cruise last year from Amsterdam to Budapest. After 35 years shooting film I finally went digital and love it. What took me so long????

We just switched to digital maybe three years ago. We have both the Canon 5D and 20D digital. We have a variety of lenses including an 85mm 1.2 which my husband believes would work well in places where no flash is permitted. Look forward to hearing your ideas. Marlyne & Tom

with those two camera bodies you should have no problem getting some great photos. When I worked my standard lens was a 24mm 2.8. I would advise getting either a 28mm or 35mm if you don't have a Wide angle.

On all interiors I would set the ISO at 400. I made everything inside either a church, a museum or even inside the river boat (lunch, dinner, programs and speakers) Outside shots could be at ISO 100 or if it's cloudy try ISO 200.

I always take 2 or 3 1GB cards. Back on the bus or ship you can edit out the old ones. Don't forget extra batterys. Not sure what one's the Canon use. Saw a few folks that brought a lap top to down load their memory cards. To me that's just one more thing that takes up space. Back to interiors - I use church pews, church columns or even caskets to brace my camera for longer exposures. Last trip I took a little folding table top tripod and never used it. And bracket, bracket, bracket all interior exposures. As I said before, flash will only go about 10 to 15 ft...forget it. Noticed that the Canon 5D has no built in flash. Some to the concerts and shows will not allow you to shoot photos -what they are saying is no flash. No one tells an old retired news photog he can't take photos. Most of my photos I use the P mode which gives me more control over auto. Any questions you can email me at WillardWKrieble@ij.net. Willard

• 2 weeks later...

In the city palace do not fail to see the crown jewels !!! they make the Tower of London pale by comparison....After all, The Hapsburgs ruled continuously with out revolutions etc. to break up the collections and also they were the HRE..

Archived