Dolphin swim

susibell2

Has anyone been to the dolphin swim through Carnival lately? I was wondering how long you actually get to be in the water with the dolphins? We are trying to decide if we should do it in Cozumel or Costa Maya. Any suggestions????

I plan to do this at Cozumel as well but was hoping to do the package that included the dolphin and sea lion swim together. The website says post Wilma there are no sea lions at Chankanaab until further notice.

Does anyone know if they plan to bring them back after the reopening or is it safer just to book the dolphin encounter by itself? - SF

Our cruise is Sept 23 ,I was thinking of booking it on my own instead of through Carnival.Carnival is going to Puerto Aventuras for the swim. It goes from 10:30 until 5:00. We will be in port from 10:00 until 7:00. If Chankanaab is open I'd like to book it through there myself. Has anyone done this? How long does it take to get there and how much does a cab cost?

Book directly through Dolphin Discovery in Chankanaab, and not through Cozumel Insider (they are only offering the 3:30 time slot), and more time options are available. We have a Dolphin Encounter booked on July 11 @ Chankanaab, at 2:30.....our choice.

The website is http://www.*****

You have to fill out the form online, then print it out, and fax it or mail it....in less than a day, I had an e-mail confirmation (after faxing it....very easy.)

The entrance to Chankanaab is $12.00 each, and if I remember right, the cab fare is around $8.00. It only takes 15 minutes or less to get to the park (and have experienced getting back to the port from the park in less than 8 when we were 15 minutes from the ship leaving port.....CRAZY to book a Dolphin swim with only 30 minutes to spare!! My crazy cousin wanted to buy the pictures after her swim....we were the last ones in the door before it shut!!)

Take care,

Jaime

I just got back from Conquest last week (6/4 -6/11). We did the dolphin swim through Carnival. The dolphon facility at Cozumel was destroyed by Wilma so you take a ferry to Playa del Carmen and a bus to Puerto Adventuras.

The swim was incredible. You are with the dolphins about 45-60 minutes which includes a ride! The dolphin swims behind you and rolls over on its back. All you do is grab the pectoral fins and off you go for short ride. Fabulous! Also lots of opportunity to pet, kiss and interact with the dolphins.

This excursion takes all day. You actually never set foot on Cozumel. The ferry picks you up at the ship and goes directly to Playa del Carmen. The return goes directly back to the ship.

I highly recommend this excursion.

One of the other plusses to booking through Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel, is you can book the swim/excursion earlier, or later in the day, and still have the other half of the day to enjoy Cozumel.

We plan on getting off the ship as soon as it gets into Cozumel (we'll be docked...YEA!), and heading into San Miguel for shopping.... having some lunch in town, then grabbing a cab for Chankanaab. We figure we'll be back on the ship by 4:30 to rest up after a full day of enjoying Cozumel!

By September, they may not have to offer the excursion on the mainland....hopefully by then with our tourist dollars, Dolphin Discovery in Chankanaab will be back in full swing, and the cruiselines will be offering that one again!

Take care!

Jaime

No, you don't have to be able to swim, you must wear a life jacket at all times. Although IMHO, it is probably better if you know how to swim as I am sure you would be much more comfortable in the water and able to enjoy it more.

I'm going to be in Cozumel on July 12 and I booked the Dolphin Swim through Carnival. We tender and the ship is supposed to get there from 1:00 till 8:00pm. The excursion through Carnival starts at 1:30 and says it ends at 8:00. However I also want to see Cozumel and do some shopping, which I don't think will happen if I go through Carnival. If I book the royal swim at Chankanaab on my own, then I don't have to take a ferry right? It's only a cab ride away?

Also, if I book it for 2:00pm, do you think that is cutting it too close? :confused:

Are you talking about booking Dolphin Discovery in Cozumel or on the mainland? The Cozumel attraction should be open in the next week - you can see a full review of Chankanaab Park on this Cozumel news and information website.

You should have much more time if you do it in Cozumel as you don't need to take ferries etc.

Just my personal opinion, but please think hard about whether you really want to support a business that keeps dolphins in an enclosed area purely for the sake of commercial profit too... I'm not trying to be political or patronizing but a lot of people have expressed concern about the treatment of dolphins at this type of attraction in Mexico...

Ian

Archived