Renting cars in Skagway?

smariner

There are others. I think Sourdough is another one. Do an advanced search in this forum for titles and Skagway car rental and I am sure you will find numerous threads. Book ASAP. I would not be surprised if the other companies are sold out too. It is high season. But hope for the best!

Sourdough is the only other company, but I do not recommend them. I had a car as the first cruise ship passenger this year that was in poor maintance. Poor gas mileage, their cars used to be only dirty and older. But now it has gone further, there was a report last week of one of their cars breaking down on the Klondike Highway. I did call and talk to them about the car's condition and they didn't seem at all concerned. Being the very begining of the season, that car should have been in top shape. I've rented from them before and they never have been agressive with the upkeep of their cars or customer service. But this has further declined.

I want a car for abt 10 hours (from 8AM to 6PM) on June/23.

When I called Avis.com they said that they were sold out for a rental on June/23. But, they had it available for picking it up on the evening of June/22 -- so, I booked it for 24 hours from 6pm on June/22 to 6PM on June23. But I won't be able to pick it up till the morning of June/23.

Does anyone know if Avis will hold my car till the morning of June/23?

When I called thier Skagway location -- they said that they can't hold the car till the morning. Seems very strange -- though I'm willing to pay for a 24-hour rental.

Sourdough is the only other company, but I do not recommend them. I had a car as the first cruise ship passenger this year that was in poor maintance. Poor gas mileage, their cars used to be only dirty and older. But now it has gone further, there was a report last week of one of their cars breaking down on the Klondike Highway. I did call and talk to them about the car's condition and they didn't seem at all concerned. Being the very begining of the season, that car should have been in top shape. I've rented from them before and they never have been agressive with the upkeep of their cars or customer service. But this has further declined.

Thanks -- this was useful. I'll cancel my reservation with them. The last thing I want is worrying about a car breakdown when I'm short on time.

I was just in Skagway two weeks ago and rented a vehicle two weeks ago from this company. I will be the first to admit that their cars appear to be a bit older, but we never experienced any issues with the small pickup truck we rented. I suppose a car from any rental company could break down anytime regardless of appearance though. It is always risky whenever you are renting an on a "tight" schedule.

BQ: With your many trips to Alaska have you ever asked Avis why they close b4 tourist season is over? I e-mailed Avis but they just said to call the Alaskan office, long distance of course, no 1-800! 1000sof us will be in town the next couple wks & lots wanting to go to Emerald Lake. What kind of business sense is this? Are they just staffed by college kids? Maybe that's a job I could apply for & get a longer stay! :D

BQ: With your many trips to Alaska have you ever asked Avis why they close b4 tourist season is over? I e-mailed Avis but they just said to call the Alaskan office, long distance of course, no 1-800! 1000sof us will be in town the next couple wks & lots wanting to go to Emerald Lake. What kind of business sense is this? Are they just staffed by college kids? Maybe that's a job I could apply for & get a longer stay! :D

Actually they ship all their cars back to Anchorage and it's timing, I suppose with seasonal workers. In 1999 the former office manager actually held a car back for me on one of my last of the season trips. She met me at the Westmark- all boarded up, gave me the keys and met her later for the drop off. Wonderful wonderful day of which I was extremely thankful. She has since died and every time I'm on the Klondike Highway, I often think of her generosity to me on that trip.

I was just in Skagway two weeks ago and rented a vehicle two weeks ago from this company. I will be the first to admit that their cars appear to be a bit older, but we never experienced any issues with the small pickup truck we rented. I suppose a car from any rental company could break down anytime regardless of appearance though. It is always risky whenever you are renting an on a "tight" schedule.

I am a strong advocate of Alaska businesses, but this company is just long time, poorly run. Certainly problems can happen with any car, but AVIS has consistantly highly maintained cars that they keep on top of. There is no excuse for the first cruise ship rental of the season customer to have a car that wasn't just fine tuned and in top shape. Plus the lack of concern is the last straw. This wasn't my first time with them either. But I will not use them again.

I'm looking at renting a car for a day (at the end of June). Avis seems to be the only rental chain in Skagway & they are sold out :-(

Any other rental companies I should look into?

You might keep trying in case someone cancels. There was no deposit due when I made my reservation for August so that makes it easy to make a reservation "just in case."

I hope it works out for you but I'm sure you'll have a great time whatever you do. Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

OR, walk over there and check in................since people don't have to leave a credit card number when they reserve cars, many are "held" but not picked up..........

OR, if it's just the two of you, you may be able to share a car with another couple who have one reserved.

Good Luck!

Archived