Credit Card Acceptance down under...

Okay - this may sound silly, but in my time, I have noticed that in various places around the world, that spending habits vary and the use of various forms of plastic changes widely.

For example in Canada, you can use a debit card/Interac in most locations. But Visa is by far and above the most favoured form of credit card. AMEX is used widely in nationally owned stores, hotels and restaurants and seems to be in favour in the larger centres of Canada, mainly due to the higher merchant costs that can be absorbed by large organizations. Mastercard is accepted in some but not all locations that accept Visa.

I can pay for cab fares, hotels, restaurants, large national stores using any form of plastic in virtually any city in Canada.

However, once I leave a large city, the game changes and either Visa or cash is king.

Does the same kind of logic apply in New Zealand? Am I going to find that my credit card is not accepted in various locations or by various tour companies? Do I need to carry a large stash of cash?:confused:

In my experience down under I could use either credit or debit cards wherever we went. Of course I have visa for both but I know of several that were on our tours that paid w/ amex to our tour guide with no problem. He was out of Aukland so I don't know if that made any difference. I personally don't think you will have any problem

You can use most credit and debit cards everywhere in Australia. Amex and diners are not always accepted at small shops but the major department stores accept it. You will find we are quite advanced LOL.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Frequent Flyer

Most restaurants take Amex and Diners and most of the larger clothing shops also take those two cards. You will find they will all take Mastercard and Visa.

It is the same story as in Canada, because of the higher charges imposed on the merchant by both Amex and Diners, not as many establishments will accept those two cards.

There are also loads of ATM's around where you can use your debit card and obtain cash.

Jennie

Okay - this may sound silly, but in my time, I have noticed that in various places around the world, that spending habits vary and the use of various forms of plastic changes widely.

For example in Canada, you can use a debit card/Interac in most locations. But Visa is by far and above the most favoured form of credit card. AMEX is used widely in nationally owned stores, hotels and restaurants and seems to be in favour in the larger centres of Canada, mainly due to the higher merchant costs that can be absorbed by large organizations. Mastercard is accepted in some but not all locations that accept Visa.

I can pay for cab fares, hotels, restaurants, large national stores using any form of plastic in virtually any city in Canada.

However, once I leave a large city, the game changes and either Visa or cash is king.

Does the same kind of logic apply in New Zealand? Am I going to find that my credit card is not accepted in various locations or by various tour companies? Do I need to carry a large stash of cash?:confused:

Visa or Mastercard will be the most accepted in NZ, its only the more upmarket or larger hotels, restaurants and stores that offer AMEX/Diners. Most of NZ use EFTPOS more than cash, so all places have this facility [a direct debit from your cheque account, not a credit card] so you could look at setting up a facility for this if you wished. Though personally i prefer to use VISA and pay for it all later. Regards Ian.

Archived