Legend Cabin - back of ship

donsuej

Has anyone stayed in an extended balcony cabin at the very rear of the ship? If so, did you like it? Is there a lot of motion back there? We are considering booking one for December. Thanks!

Sue

I loved it....wife hated it.

The +'s

You don't feel boxed in. It's sort of like an open balcony. It's a little larger, however the extra space is taken away by the fact that the rail and plexiglass are at a tilt, so it's only good if you stand at 2 1/2 feet.

The -'s. It's noisy at sea. I mean NOISY. You can see the people below you, and the people above you can see you. There's no shade for most of the day, unless you're at the right angle.

It is a long walk to the front of the ship. It is relatively quiet in the hallways as there's virtually no traffic.

Motion wise, I found there was no difference.

We compromised. Next cruise, I got the wrap around and an adjoining rear facing room.

Aft balcony cabins are just horrible, horrible, horrible, terrible, terrible, terrible. The sun burns down on you like it was the Saraha. Tons of filthy soot falls on you ALL the time. Engine noise so bad you have to write things down to communicate. Motion so bad that I often get pitched right up in the air and into the ocean. Have to swim like crazy to catch back up to the ship. Don't know why they sell out so soon and why I'm always so angry when I can't get an aft balcony cabin. Don't even think about booking one. Leave them for those of us that love the abuse.

Dan

We had deck 6 on the Victory. Perfect. There was no balconies under us.

(remember the balconies back there are stepped back so the ones on top can see down into yours.)

Its also a long walk to the elevators.

You get no ocean breezes back there while you are sailing. Your cabins will sometimes be very warm during the day unless you keep the curtains drawn. All that hot sun pouring into your cabin makes it that way no matter how high you turn up the air conditioning.

BUT- its less crowded back there in the hallways because people tend NOT to venture where they dont have to.

The balcony is worth the extra walk/ heat..blah blah blah. I never felt any motion. Heard no noise. Had no soot problem. (Although a couple that sailed with us once on the same deck other side had a bad soot problem.

I have booked an aft on the Miracle too. For me--there is no other way to sail.

My wife and were on the Legend last year and we had a CAT 11 Suite next to the CAT 11 Suite with a wraparound (Cabin 4226). It was roomy but the deck was half the size because of a set of stairs used for emergencies. This year we were on The Legend's sister ship, The Miracle in the AFT cabin with a wraparoud deck (Cabin 4237). This was a true Suite, it had seperate room with doors. it was a nice size, though the bedroom was a little small but we didn't spend alot of time there.

Walter

DW and I had cabin 5270. LOVED IT! Had breakfast out there every morning. Enjoyed sunning in private, and one or two other things. :rolleyes: It would be the only type of balcony I'd would consider now.

Go for it!

• 2 months later...

I am booked on the Legend in December 04, (sails 12/13) and I picked the cabin 4237 on the main deck because it looked like it had a nice big deck as well as a nice size room. This will be my first cruise with Carnival. I have sailed with Princess, RCL, NCL, Holland America etc. At first I was not sure about taking a Carnival cruise, but after reading the many comments on this board, it sounds like a nice ship. My question is in response to the post above from Cruise Dragon, would you recommend this room? or ??

I was thinking that I would enjoy hanging out on the back deck watching the water from the rear of the boat, just getting some relaxing quiet. I love days at sea, and was thinking I would enjoy hanging out in the room a bit more than I have in the past.

Thanks for your reply!

I would sail in your suite anytime. If you have to pick a suite you picked the perfect one. You have twice the size of balconies then the same suite off the side. You will have the side balcony plus the aft. awesome choice.

I picked the cabin 4237 on the main deck because it looked like it had a nice big deck as well as a nice size room.

I picked that one as well, as it looks like it has the largest space balcony of the 8 wraparounds (except for 4228 on the opposite side). It also seems to have the best overhang. What I don't know is how the room itself differs from the other wraparounds. We booked the cabin next to it as well.

Let us know how you like it when you return!

Springersgirl,

I will be on the same sailing as you- two doors down in cabin 4241. Loved the comments from the poster above. Every time I read about these cabins on the board I hear about the lack of privacy, the noise, the vibration, and then I hear how much people love these cabins! Makes no sense to me, but maybe I'll understand when I experience it for myself.

I have tried and tried to upload the picture of our aft cabin 6331 and have no luck. The plans of my cabin were not to my advantage but the wrap arounds were huge! The problem was the privacy for all balconies and the overhangs. The people next to me were rarely out. If I had that balcony, I would have lived out there.

You do have to experience the cabin for yourself. I love the view and no wind of the aft balcony and to me that makes up for the sleepless nights. I did not care for my extended aft balcony because it was useless if it rained or if they cleaned the upper decks. BUT on the clear days which we had a lot of I really enjoyed the aft view. I think people are trying to be gentle because each person will have a different opinion of the cabin. I have read reviews of people that were on my same cruise with me and disliked their trip. I loved mine and I can truely say out of my 10 cruises it was the best.

Archived