Inspiration Passengers Missed the Ship!

Hogladyrider

There was plenty she could have done. First, don't let them off the ship alone, for crying out loud - they're kids. Then, if she did, set a curfew time for them to be back on the ship and meet somewhere - at least one hour before the ship sails. The best thing to do now is to make sure these brats pay back all the money it cost for their little lark.:cool:

I am sure, being immature teenagers, they will get a lot of mileage out of this story. They will be "cool" to their friends. I'll tell you one thing. It would be a long time before I ever unleashed these babies.:cool:

........and this amazes me. We let these "18" year olds sign up to fight for our country as independent people??????? Scares the crapola out of me.

If mine (when they were 18....girl included.....) did that to me......... when we got home, they would be so out of the house on their tails minus the cars that WE bought for them and our money that was going to put them through college. THEN they would figure out where, when, and how to be responsible. THEN when they figured out what responsibility actually is.....just MAYBE then they could reclaim their car and college money.

Not sure why there is a debate here about fault. It really dont matter at this rate.

However I bet these boys know they are in trouble with the parents when they get home and I hope they are worried about it...dont you remember when you knew you where in trouble the feeling in your gut?? LOL well they get to have that for quite a few hours!! :D I hope the parents make them pay for the flight & room.

My advice to the parents: tally up all the costs of this episode when all is over, and present the total to the 18-year olds involved as a bill. Not that they will be able to pay it any time soon.

But when it comes time for gifts, and other forms of parental help, this "early gift" can be mentioned. If the parent wants to truly be responsible after the fact, they will make sure thir children pay for their mistakes at some point in the future!

One thing to remember folks.

18 is adult, legally, and totally responsible for their actions. Carnival may require someone older, but the island does not.

There was no way my parents would tell me anything when I was 18 ( cause I knew everything, which is more than I know now )

As far as being responsible, the 18 year old boys are totally 100% responsible.

As for the mother, you can agree or disagree ( which I am sure she does herself ) with her actions, but the responsibility lays with the 18 year old adult boys.

bthorn1108....that is exactly what DH & I do with the cherubs. We keep their cards until we are all ready to leave the ship. I don't know that all teenagers are trying to be irresponsible and forgetful, they just are.

You should hear the whining and moaning over that, however I do have a remedy....another one of foo-foo drinks with the umbrella please. Amazing how you can't hear a thing with one of those in your hand.

Robin

Just beware about thinking you've stopped them from getting off the ship by taking their cards from them. All they have to do is go to the purser's desk and tell Guest Relations they've lost their cards.

I guess my feeling is that sometimes we parents are afraid to parent. If I recall, the mom paid for the trip....she can and should make the rules.

A foreign country is NOT the place to let our kids "test their wings!" Last year our 2 oldest boys--22 and 19-- wanted to stay in Nassau for an extra hour after the rest of our group went back to the ship. I looked at my 19 yo who is VERY responsible and mature and said, "Hello........foreign country....ships leaves......we stay together." :eek: He paused a minute, laughed, and started talking about all the fun we's had that day and how awesome the waves were and off to the ship he went.

If anything, that mom should be equally angry at herself. :rolleyes:

Just beware about thinking you've stopped them from getting off the ship by taking their cards from them. All they have to do is go to the purser's desk and tell Guest Relations they've lost their cards.

you can ask that their cards have an alert put on them that tells the crew doing the check out that they cannot leave the ship with out you present....I know...I had to do that to DH when he wandered back ONTO the ship without letting our little group know...I didn't want him to get off again until we found each other. The crew member (at the check in machine) 1st checked to see if he was in fact back ON the ship then told me he could put this alert on the card....you should have seen DH's face the next day when we went to get off the ship for the day..."Sir, it says here that you are not allowed to leave without our wife." HA!:D

My boys are 20 and 22 have never done anything approaching that level of irresponsibility or total disregard for another person. First, I would bill them for the total cost and throw in an additional amount for time and trouble. If the car they drive is in their parent's name, I'd take the keys and only let them use it for school and work (and if they decided to take off, call the cops and let them know the car was taken without your permission). You still have lots of controls over 18 year olds who are living at home. My boys let us know when they'll be home and where they're headed when they're home from college. It's just common courtesy and I would never let my son under 21 take off alone in a foreign port. Yes, the boys are responsible so make them totally responsible for their actions. They want to be treated like adults. Well, fine. Adults pay for their mistakes.

because they were irresponsible young adults, not because of anything the mother did. At 18 like it or not they are just that, young adults and responsible for their own actions.

They are not "adults" on Carnival... And, at their age they are too young to be off in a foreign port alone, period! Irresponsible barely describes their actions.:rolleyes:

........and this amazes me. We let these "18" year olds sign up to fight for our country as independent people??????? Scares the crapola out of me.

If mine (when they were 18....girl included.....) did that to me......... when we got home, they would be so out of the house on their tails minus the cars that WE bought for them and our money that was going to put them through college. THEN they would figure out where, when, and how to be responsible. THEN when they figured out what responsibility actually is.....just MAYBE then they could reclaim their car and college money.

Right on, Judyka!! A little tough love would certainly be in order.....:eek:

........and this amazes me. We let these "18" year olds sign up to fight for our country as independent people??????? Scares the crapola out of me

This is off the subject but I have to say that when they sign up for the military they recieve instant Tough Love and grow up in a hurry. No one's there to hold their hand but the other recruits. I'm all for kids like this signing up for the service, they are instantly out of their comfort zone and find out that it's up to themselves, mom and dad aren't there to bail them out. ;)

Ms B

you can ask that their cards have an alert put on them that tells the crew doing the check out that they cannot leave the ship with out you present....I know...I had to do that to DH when he wandered back ONTO the ship without letting our little group know...I didn't want him to get off again until we found each other. The crew member (at the check in machine) 1st checked to see if he was in fact back ON the ship then told me he could put this alert on the card....you should have seen DH's face the next day when we went to get off the ship for the day..."Sir, it says here that you are not allowed to leave without our wife." HA!:D

Your HUSBAND??? OMG. I have now heard everything. God bless that man. Does he use the toilet without you?:eek:

A couple of youngs guys, sequestered for most of their lives, land in paradise, with booze, and lose track of time. They make a mistake.

We've all made them.

But by all means, they pay up!

I would guess they were also poopin' in their pants in a foreign country's police car. Lesson learned.

Provided they pay up.

If not, all sympathy disappears.

One of our favorite activities is to get a rail view of the pier below in Cozumel 10 minutes before departure and watch drunken people try to stumble back to the boat. Good entertainment.

One thing to remember folks.

18 is adult, legally, and totally responsible for their actions. Carnival may require someone older, but the island does not.

There was no way my parents would tell me anything when I was 18 ( cause I knew everything, which is more than I know now )

As far as being responsible, the 18 year old boys are totally 100% responsible.

As for the mother, you can agree or disagree ( which I am sure she does herself ) with her actions, but the responsibility lays with the 18 year old adult boys.

Age is not relavent....the actions are.

If the kids were 13 and broken a window through irresponsiblity......they owe for the window.

If their irresponsible actions......probably drinking.......caused them to miss the ship.....and incur expenses.........they get to take care of those.....like the window.

It is how they will finally learn.............Responsibility and Accountability.....;)

Oh how you have to love teenagers who "know it all" - been there done that, but the trying times they cause for their parents.

Well the two young men flatly instruction the mom to please allow them to have some fun and not be under her thumb all the time and for her to cut the strings loose.

The Mother's Mistake:

What did she expect two 18 year old boys would do in Mexico......where it is legal to drink at 18.......and where they shove the liquor down their throats while blowing whistles........and kids get drunk to meet the opposite sex.....:rolleyes:

Me and my husband sailed on the Valor on May 21st -28th. We brought my nephew and his friend(18years old each) with us as their graduation trip. I have no children of my own, but took my responsibility to these kids and their parent serious. Sure, they had their "own" time, but when we got off the boat, it was understood that we all hung out together and never separated. Of course that meant that I went on the yellow boat(a.K.a the Party Barge) and drank rum punch(and yes I shared some with them). They never got out of hand and we all had a great time, but they would of done a lot of STUPID thing were me and my husband not around. To the mom who was on the ship with these kids, chalk it up to a lesson learned, and to the mom who let her child go with the other kid and his mom, your son should take alot of the blame, and maybe next time he will be more responsible.

One of our favorite activities is to get a rail view of the pier below in Cozumel 10 minutes before departure and watch drunken people try to stumble back to the boat. Good entertainment.

I second that, it is worth coming back early for.

On my last Carnival cruise, I was walking around the ship around the time we were to leave Cozumel. I must have been on the path to the crew quarters because a whole line of drunk crew members went past me singing and being really loud.

I second that, it is worth coming back early for.

This is a spectator sport that I look forward to. It was even better before the pier was destroyed; one ship tied on each side of the pier, the drunks stumbling and staggering along, trying to run and all the people on both ships, out on the balcony, clapping, yelling and cat-calling.....Better'n TV, Homer!:rolleyes:

This is a spectator sport that I look forward to. It was even better before the pier was destroyed; one ship tied on each side of the pier, the drunks stumbling and staggering along, trying to run and all the people on both ships, out on the balcony, clapping, yelling and cat-calling.....Better'n TV, Homer!:rolleyes:

The problem is that the drunks get back on the ship.......:rolleyes: ......and usually contimue to drink.........:rolleyes:

Archived