travel from Seward to Anchorage?

oakhillobs

Hi all,

I just joined the forum and have been reading with great interest all of the fantastic posts! I have days and days of more reading to do.

Our family is going on our first crusie ever from Victora to Seward on Royal Caribbean 7 day cruise. It arrive in Seward at 7am 8/12, and we want to drive up to Anchorage and stay there that night as our flight back leaves at 7am the next morning! Unfortunately, our schedules and flight/price availability dictate this schedule :-(

It appears that the only rental car place is Hurts and they want $270 for one day with the drop off in Anchorage. I've been looking into other options, but the shuttles, train and limos are either expensive or don't have enough flexibility to allow a leasurely day trip with at the moment planning.

What would be your suggestions for transportation options and your choices of a few things to see on the way from Seward to Anchorage?

Thank you so much!

If I had your itinerary, I would choose to book a Kenai Fjords National Park day cruise following disembarkation in Seward, then book the train to Anchorage for that night, using taxi or hotel shuttle for transfer from depot to hotel. It would make for a long day, but I wouldn't miss the opportunity while there! Following the KFNP cruise, you can relax onboard the train and enjoy viewing some beautiful scenery from Seward to Anchorage. At around $200+pp total for the park cruise and train, it's well worth it!

Welcome to the boards.:) This site is very addicting, and very, very informational, especially using the search feature. Have fun planning!

Perhaps consider booking a Kenai Fjords National Park day cruise following disembarkation in Seward, then book the train to Anchorage for that evening, using taxi or hotel shuttle for transfer from depot to hotel. It would make for a long day, but I wouldn't miss the opportunity to visit KFNP while there! Following the KFNP cruise, you can relax onboard the train and enjoy viewing some beautiful scenery in passing from Seward to Anchorage. At around $200+pp total for the park cruise and train, it's well worth it!

Welcome to the boards.:) This site is very addicting, and very, very informational, especially using the search feature. Have fun planning!

My recommendation would be:

* definitely take the 6pm train

* use priceline to get an inexpensive hotel in Anchorage for the night

* spend the day in Seward for sure... but only take the Kenai fjords tour if you feel up to taking a 5+ hour cruise because the 2 1/2 hour cruises would not be all that interesting if you are doing any other boat tours during your cruise. there are many other activities in seward as well (sea life center, exit glacier, shopping, beach, biking).

There are several decent hotels within 5 minutes of the Anchorage airport including Holiday Inn Express, Courtyard by Marriott, and a Microtel. Nothing is cheap up here at this time of year but proximity to the airport for a 7am departure would definitely come in handy.

I agree with all the others. Spend your day in Seward, If you get off your ship early- you can just walk off the ship. You have already cleared customs in Vancouver.

Kenai Fjords boat tours are the top choice here. Consider http://www.kenaifjords.com 11:30am trip, they will pick up at the dock, store you bags and shuttle you to your ship. They start their shuttles from the ship early, so you could get a cab from their office and go downtown, Exit Glacier etc, before the 11:30om departure. Then take the train to Anchorage. Will go to the downtown depot. If just looking for a bed, Ramada, Days Inn will shuttle you from the depot, and to the airport in the am. Otherwise take a cab and stay near the airport. Again, just a "bed" but there is also Super 8.

Archived