Live From The Crown !!

cruisesusie

$3 to choose a seat.

$3 food delivery charge for everything but the drinks, those are just the normal 15%. Key there is if you want several things, ask at one time and you only pay one $3 delivery charge.

Princess states - There is no charge to use The Sanctuary, though capacity is limited and is on a first-come, first-served basis. When not indulging in spa services, Sanctuary guests can relax on plush outdoor furniture including double loungers for couples, as well as deluxe chaise lounges and chairs.

Why, on the first day of Inaugural sailing did Princess decide to charge?

How come they have not update their web site to state available for an additional cost ?

Did passengers complain? I hope so.... Just because of their dishonesty. Not, informing their loyal passengers.

Sandy - Give me a break - this is the first cruise and some bugs will have to be worked out. Sounds like they found out quickly that there was a crowd problem and charging would help contol it. I don't see an honesty issue here, but they should fix the information on the web. This is only the third day, things take time to correct. Somehow I don't see this as a major issue, and at $3 one of the better bargins on the ship. No crowds, chair hogs, or chair hog police - what a deal!

Instead of everyone complaining and threatening to never sail on "Princess again"

After working in retail for 35 yrs, I've learned........... instead of complaining and wining. Just stop paying for all the extras!!!

There are enough free places to eat food all day long without paying extra.

Don't go to the Santuary, then when it sits empty Princess will probably drop the charge.

Don't order Lobster at the cafe. You can get it at the dining room on formal nights for "free"

If you don't want to pay for "choc covered strawberry's" etc, then don't. When the cruise lines see that paying passengers don't want and won't pay for all the extra's then they'll probably stop. Probably hike the fares and we'll all end up paying more for everything:eek:

My point is, there is enough free stuff on a cruise to keep everyone happy. We just came off a 19 day repo and the only extra we paid for was dinner at the Bayou Cafe for our 31st wedding anniversary. That was well worth it. We sure couldn't have gotten a meal anywhere in Vancouv er like that for $ 15 per person. Heck, a meal at a fast food place almost costs that now:rolleyes:

Hi Thanks for the great posts and pictures! Will you be posting the patters? If not please disregard. If so, try to grab a spa menu and bar menu to post also! Or maybe if the small atrium places-Vines, etc have small menus...Thanks have a great time, looking forward to hearing more! :)

There is usually plenty of yummy things to try and to eat and for me certainly no need to pay for extras. But I have the same question as the previous poster, what items are free outside the buffet and pizza? Are there free Tapas like Dawn? Or something similar? If not, I will just wait until dinner.

mek - Sandy - Give me a break - this is the first cruise and some bugs will have to be worked out. Sounds like they found out quickly that there was a crowd problem and charging would help contol it. I don't see an honesty issue here, but they should fix the information on the web. This is only the third day, things take time to correct. Somehow I don't see this as a major issue, and at $3 one of the better bargins on the ship. No crowds, chair hogs, or chair hog police - what a deal!

Paying $3.00 is not a big issue. Yes, they did find out quickly, second day of sailing.

I was just questioning this because of the quick change, and wondering if there are other changes...

We'll all have heads-up. Thanks to this board.

As for

Instead of everyone complaining and threatening to never sail on "Princess again"

There are people who are never satisfied... They will always find something to complain about. But I wouldn't say "everyone". There are a lot more loyal Princess cruisers out there than you know. And, after experiencing the Crown there will be even more.

I can not wait to set sail on this beautiful ship..... I want to find out all the details....

Sandy - Yes, it is great that we share information on these boards and I for one welcome all oppinions. It's just that I thought you were being overly harsh in accusing Princess of being dishonest.

Hi Everyone,

We're in Grand Turk today - its hot !! Nothing much there unless you like to snorkel and dive. We walked to the "town" and took a taxi back.

The mini suite balcony furniture consists of a round table, two small chairs, two larger chairs that recline and a small low table. They're not the usual white resin - they're gray mesh plastic.

None of the food in the International Cafe is free - same with Vines. Pizza, Buffets, Dining room and hamburger/hot dog stand are all included in the price of the cruise. We at in the Caribe Cafe last night - it was just OK. The selection in Horizon Court was much larger.

Susan

Thanks, Susan, you're a doll to do this. ;)

Hmmmm....assumed (my bad) the furniture was metal. Thanks again!

The mini suite balcony furniture consists of a round table, two small chairs, two larger chairs that recline and a small low table. They're not the usual white resin - they're gray mesh plastic. Susan

Great question! I am going to take a guess and say the starboard side. Am I right' date=' Suzy?:confused:[/quote']

I asked this on another thread and was told (and read elsewhere) that Starboard is the "correct" side . . . I even changed my balcony cabin because of it, so, if that is incorrect, I'll have to change again . . . good grief, what we do for the "right" spot.

:)

Also, to the OP, thanks for all your information. Can't wait to see your pictures when you get back.

There have been posts that say the new balcony furniture is aluminum, not plastic.

Don't recall which thread, but there was a snapshot of the furniture, and it did appear to be extruded aluminum.

Another post on the Star Princess also said the new furniture was aluminum (anodized).

Thanks Suzy for the good info. I appreciate the time you are taking to keep us all informed.

As for nickel & diming, I understand that people don't want to pay extra for any food on a cruise but those are "optional". For myself and my husband, when we are on vacation that is exactly what it is. We pinch pennies when at home, why do so while on vacation. Isn't a vacation supposed to be to get away from your every day life?

We were on the Star last April and we dined at both optional restaurants. They were worth every penny. We are going on the Crown next March and intend to dine in the optional restaurants once again. It is a treat to ourselves while on vacation.

Everyone, enjoy your cruises! That's why we do it!:D

None of the food in the International Cafe is free

Thanks for this info. It seems to contradict what was just put on the Princess website the other day (see the last line below about some items being complimentary). Are they really charging for things like cookies, salad and tea?

"International Café -- A new generation in Princess' 24-hour dining concept, this atrium-level café in a piazza-style setting serves a changing menu of a la carte items throughout the day. Passengers may enjoy freshly baked croissants or beignets in the morning, gourmet panini sandwiches at lunchtime, afternoon tea or chocolate fondue later in the day, or pre-dinner tapas in the evening. The café will also offer Princess' late night bistro dining option with a selection of sandwiches, salads and soups. Those looking for a sweet pick-me-up will also find displays of caramel apples, chocolate truffles and other assorted desserts. An Italian gelateria will also scoop up assorted flavors daily and serve fresh homemade bon bons. Coffee lovers will find an expanded coffee program featuring a variety of specialty coffee drinks made from a selection of six different coffee beans. The International Café menu features both complimentary and modestly priced items."

I'm going to check out the International Cafe right now. My understanding was that there is a charge for everything. I'll ask and report back. As for the furniture on the balconies - it looks like metal, but its hard to tell if its plastic or metal.

Susan

I just checked with the International Cafe. The only things that are not complimentary are the candies and gelati. The sandwiches, pastries, cookies and tapas, etc. are free. I'm glad someone mentioned it - its not clear - they should post a sign. Everything looks very delicious.

Susan

I just checked with the International Cafe. The only things that are not complimentary are the candies and gelati. The sandwiches, pastries, cookies and tapas, etc. are free. I'm glad someone mentioned it - its not clear - they should post a sign. Everything looks very delicious.

Susan

YAY!!!! Some good news!!!!! Thanks Susan! If you get any feedback from other cruisers about Grand Turk can you let us know? We were planning on doing the Governors beach tour. Not much to see in the town, huh??

:p

Susan

It's obvious you're not eating enough on this cruise Susan! :cool: If you can pass the pastries I'm not sure we can trust your opions on this. :p

Thanks, Michael. ;)

There have been posts that say the new balcony furniture is aluminum, not plastic.

Don't recall which thread, but there was a snapshot of the furniture, and it did appear to be extruded aluminum.

Another post on the Star Princess also said the new furniture was aluminum (anodized).

We have been on 7 other cruises and never had a problem finding a quiet, nice place to sit and relax if we wanted to. We sleep, shower, and rest in our room and then discover everything possible on the ship! Each ship has had tons of places to go. Ever notice the theater is usually empty during the day. If you like sun, go all the way to the top, you will find a place. We had a balcony in Hawaii and it was well worth it, also the Panama Canal, and when we finally get to Alaska we will have one there. But really don't think it's necessary for a lot of days at sea. MHO. There has to be plenty to do and see on a jumbo like the Crown!:D

After seeing a couple of other CCrs, I came over here. Thanks Susan and Heather for keeping this up. I'll be able to help out at nights.

After 4 days I have not had to pay for any of the contentious extras, and I have had an absolutely great cruise. I think this is by far the best ship in the fleet. The stern adults only area is huge, differeing only from the Sanctuary in that nobody comes to wait on your every need and it doesn't have the ultra comfortable furniture. So, you can take your choice. That's what this ship is all about.

Persopnally, we are going to the Crown Grille Sunday night, more to come. If you just want lobster, eat in the dining rooms. If you want a specially prepared to order (grilled, boiled, broiled, thermidore, etc) whole lobster of 2 1/2 pounds, be prepared to spend $9 for it!!! Too much?? I think not, but them I'm plannning on my own streak sampler (filet, strip, porterhouse: 1 of each, no extra charge). Now that's value. Who needs #&^$% lobster??:rolleyes:

Definitely starboard for Statue of Liberty and Manhattan skyline while leaving. It's where we are. (remember, that means it is thw "wrong" side coming back in.)

This ship makes the Sapphire sooo outdated, we are already plannning on the Emerald's maiden voyage. Booking it while on this!!! They are taking the "mistakes" from the Crown and incorporating the fixes into the Emerald. This committment to constant improvement is why I'll keep with Princess as long as there are new ships. Every stgaff member has listened attentively to constructive criticism, suggestions, and praises. They clearly said this is for planning the Emerald's details. :D

Also, the chef is planning on minor alterations to the dining room menu based on feedback from guests. OPur headwaiter Antonio said tonight one item from earlier has already been scratched for future cruises and will be replaced.

Susan,

Thanks so much for all your information.

I agree with the others in thanking you for taking the time to fill us in. I just found out about this board [i've been following the one on the Roll Call board]. I'm afraid that I, too, have a question for you.

We will be on the next sailing, and I'm the one who is gathering the information for the people in our Cruise Critic group. I've been trying to contact James Lay, the CD, but when I address the email to crownprincess@princess.com [the way email has always been addressed to the Princess ships], it comes back as undeliverable, 'user unknown'. Do you have any idea how I can address email to get it to the ship? or to get in touch with James directly?

Any information you can provide would be very much appreciated.

(and now I won't take any more time from your vacation! :) )

Thanks-

phyllis

Archived