Any experiences with Wide Open Cabo?

JC Butterfly

I found their website and racing around is right up my husband's alley!

How long does this adventure take? Would I be able to just ride along rather than drive?

Are there other places in Cabo where we could rent all terrain vehicles (jeeps, dune buggys, etc) and just let loose?

Thanks!

We'll be cruising on the Pride August 1st, and I've signed up myself and my 17 yo (almost 18yo) son to do this with. It's rather expensive, but probably one of the most exciting things (I'll let you know for sure) that you can do. This is not ship-sponsored, but these are actual Baja vehicles, the ones they race in the baja. The packages range from around $200-300. The full package includes a picture of you going over a jump, with the ocean in the background, and also includes more laps around their 3-mile course. They said it takes a 3-4 hours to do, but I'm figuring on getting off the ship asap, as the morning session starts at 10. Ship leaves at 4:00, so if we aren't done until 2:00 and have to get back, doesn't leave a lot of extra time, but should be plenty. I do believe you can ride along, but e-mailing them with specific questions you will get responses, probably from Mathew. Kent

Thanks for the tips!

I found them at www.wideopencabo.com

If you look under "test track" it tells you about the experience at Cabo. I didn't know they had photo packages and stuff though, that would make it even better! I'd love to hear about your experience with them after the cruise.

the email on their site is guides@wideopenbaja.com and says they will mail you out a brochure. I requested this so we'll see what happens.

Oh yeah, they'll send you a nice brochure, with a CD that you can watch as well. I'm really looking forward to it, and according to their new site, the track is now 5 miles long. I believe for the large package, you get 8 full laps after a couple of 1-mile training laps, as well as the picture, for around $300. If you look on line (I think under "All about Cabo") you can find a coupon you can take with you for $20 off. I'll be there in about a month!! We're taking some extended time, so I won't be back until around the 15th of August, but I'll give you a review on it then. K

• 1 month later...

Our cruise was awesome, and my wife and I and 4 kids all had the best time. We did several excursions, but my favorite, and my 18 yo sons favorite, was definately the baja cars in cabo. Their office is just beyond the Marina, and although they said to be there between 8:30-9:00, they didn't actually start until 9:45. I thought they would have us at the ranch by 10, but they actually start in the office, there in Cabo, with a video, and then they take you out to their ranch. We were back by 1:30, so this all worked out great. The cars are pretty fast, and they do jump very well. There were two other guys (just visiting Cabo) that went as well, and as one of them put it, "I could do this all day!" and he owns his own drag racing car. It truly was something that I would do again in a hearbeat, and way more fun than ATV's. They strap you in, and the cars have full roll-cages, and they are very safe. They are a 4-speed transmission, and the track is really fun. There is almost a mile of fairly open straight-away where you get going at least 75mph or so. The rest of the track has high banked turns and jumps, and you really get a good feel for racing. I'm hooked! Kent

Archived