O2 Age Capers/Legend ?

MarieCW

I'm cruising on the Legend (Eastern Caribbean) with my 17 year old son in August, I was wondering if anyone knew where to find (or was willing to post somewhere) capers or activity info for the O2 age group (15-17)? I've hunted around, and found for the younger kids, but not this age group.

Also, does the Legend have a separate O2 clubroom and/or disco for this age group, or do they share with the 12-14's, or what? I've read conflicting things, I was hoping to get some info from someone with an older teen that's sailed on the Legend recently.

Thanks so much!

Marie

The Legend does not have a seperate area for the teen club. They meet up in various places during the week.

Activities for the kids program are fleetwide.. so what you see on one ship will be what you see for the other ships-- time and place will only be different.

here is the miracle to give you idea on activities:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/299741566/1299753461062547426muBzrf

http://community.webshots.com/photo/299741566/1299753074062547426GjEftw

Firt night teen meeting IS VERY important for them to attend. Early dinner helps also.

When reading reviews on the kids program make sure you are comparing their review to what will be happening for your week. Depending on when you are cruising in August will depend on the number of kids. the end of the month having not as many as the begiing as a lot of schools head back sometimes in the begining of August.

When a lot of kids are not onboard they will share the disco with the younger kids.

But not something that should be upsetting as its like a high school gym where the younger ones will go to one side and the older ones will go to the other side.

Also on this class of ship-- the disco is located on two decks.

Marie-- does the capers help ya any? 47 days-- make sure that teen gets to the first meeting after eating at early dining. And dont forget to post a trip report when ya get back,

Yes, the Capers helped a lot, thank you! I took my son on a cruise 2 years ago (Miracle), but that was before the O2 club. I was wondering about different activities they'd have available (they look pretty similar to last time, but I guess just having the age groups broken up more helps).

Does the teen Caper come to your room automatically if you've got a teen registered? I don't remember getting a separate paper last time, just teen activities listed in the regular one. But I didn't see 15-17 age group activities listed in the regular Capers I'd looked at recently.

Yes, I need to push him to that first meeting - he's a "let it happen" kind of kid, and does find people easily (*much* more easily than I do!), but I did get him to go to that meeting last time around and he was glad he did. But being a recent high school graduate, he now knows everything and is less inclined to listen to me :cool: but at least I've got his experience working for me on this one.

Thanks so much.

The teen capers is not delivered at night for the next day- they are given out the first niht at the first meeting.. or at orientation.

If he doesnt get one or loses it-- another can be found at the pursers desk.

I dont think they will have the kids activities listed in the reg capers so he needs to keep a copy in the cabin...with a highlighter on what to see and do.

Being 17 is a hard age.. too young for the adult stuff and too old for the teen stuff. But my kids all had a great time.

The Miracle and the Legend are the same exact class ship. everything is the same except thedecor and the public lounge names.

Thank you again ~ I'll get myself an extra copy from the pursers desk, just to make sure we've got one available when he wants it.

17 may be a tough age, but parenting a 17-year-old also has its moments! :eek:

He really enjoyed our last trip, when I suggested a cruise this year the first thing he said was he wanted to go Carnival again. So I know he had a good time. I could see it, too, I kept seeing him on tv at the activities they put on the video!

17 may be a tough age, but parenting a 17-year-old also has its moments! :eek: !

dont blink because tomorrow he will be 21- legal. LOL and yes- you still will be da mom. my baby is 21 year this year. sigh-- only yesterday we were running to tee ball.

my older two kids are US Marine..but are done their time-- thank god.

cruising is thee best vacation for the bucks

Just jumping into your conversation, hope you dont mind.

I am 17 as well and I willl be cruising august 12th on the Triumph. I would like to get involved in ClubO2, however I am certain that my family has requested late seating at dinner!

Will i still be able to attend this very important first meeting?

The 02 lounge was up near the spa.

so the teens no longer meet in the disco? Thats a nice idea. Im glad they did that.

Northy- find out from your family if you have early or late. The meeting is around 8:00 or 9:30 depending on the director. When you get onboard you check your capers when you get to your cabin to find when it is.

Maybe you can explain the difference between early and late seating with your parents.

We just got off a couple weeks ago and I took 2 girls, 16 & 17. They too were looking forward to the O2 club for something to do, espically at night. After the first night they commented how young the kids looked, espically the girls. We told they to ask how old they were. The second night they came back and told us they were 12 & 13 yrs old. The director knew this but did nothing. By the 3rd night all the 16 & 17 yr old kids left and it ended up being all 12 to 14 yr old kids. The 16 & 17 still had no where to go and nothing to do.

Good luck!!

We were on the Legend for th 6/5 cruise with our 15 year old son. We had late dinner, and he was able to participate in all the Club O2 activities he wanted. It was not a problem for him.

:)

I'm glad more folks have joined this thread, it's good to know other folks are wondering about some of the same things I am.

I'm making note of all these alternative meeting places, in case the O2 Club itself turns out to be a bust. Good to hear it's available tho, hopefully that would be a first stop.

Serene~proud as you must be I'm glad to hear your older ones have done their time. As a mom, not much scares me more ... I get antsy when I can't reach him on his cell phone sometimes. I've even gotten a pair of small radios for on the cruise, I know he'll hate the idea but I've already spent too much vacation time waiting for him at agreed upon meetups and he's lost total track of time. :mad:

So, any more info from teens or parents that have experienced O2 - what are favorite activities? Anything about teen shore excursions?

Marie

Marie-- I am soo glad that my time as a full time mom is over--lol

i do miss it at times...but time is now my own and it is soooo very nice.

Lisad-- having late dinner with your son-- did he eat dinner in the dining roome ach night--and no problems at all??

what kinds of activities is there for older teens between 10pm and midnight?

:)

I've even gotten a pair of small radios for on the cruise, I know he'll hate the idea but I've already spent too much vacation time waiting for him at agreed upon meetups and he's lost total track of time. :mad:

So, any more info from teens or parents that have experienced O2 - what are favorite activities? Anything about teen shore excursions?

Marie

Good luck with the radios thing...there are so many on board and not enough channels. The kids are constantly playing with them and making crank radio calls to whoever happens tobe on that channel.

My DD (17) loved 02 - there was dancing etc and a small bar (no alcohol). This was where they all met up.

My daughter didn't do any teen excursions - we palnned those together and did them together. Aklways seemed that one of her new "friends" were on an excursion with us.

I agree with the walkie talkie things.. so many kids are using them onboard. ALl hollaring for mom to pick up and the 20 or so moms on that particular channel all yelling back-- yeah?? or what??

if you decide on the radios..please pick a name other then mom to pick up.

Cabins are equiped with vocie mail but you have to set it up when you get to the cabin. Have your kids call in everytime they change where they are going to be... house phones are located all over the ship. and it only takes a moment to leave a message. That way there is no waiting.. you should be able to know where he is by that method.

Thank you all for the great advice on keeping in contact ~ radio problems, voicemail. I especially liked "pick a name other than mom" - how many times when he was younger and whiney and calling "MOM!" over and over did I threaten to change my name from "Mom" to something else! :p

We did try the walkie talkies our first cruise- they were more of a bother then anything. (this was the Sensation and didnt have voice mail either)

We used them the first day or two- I think we stopped using them when we were in the show lounge trying to watch the show when a group of teens behind us played catch with their new friends using their walkies the whole entire show.

After that I confiscated all the walkie talkies and didnt use them the rest of the week.

They are rather annoying to people around you. We dont pay attention to what we are doing while on vacation. I mean they can be a great way to communicate if done correctly. But the voice mail does a better job.

ON the first cruise we tried radios with our son, and there was too much inteference to confidently use them and we gave up. On another cruise, we decided to buy another set up walkie talkies, one with channels and I think they were called subchannels. Still was not succesful. I think on the Conquest last summer, we couldn't set up voice mail for some reason...so we resorted to the old all too often work reminders of the "yellow post it notes."

Hope this year on the Victory, we can use voice mail, but I still want a back up plan, which will not be walkie talkies. Any other suggestions from other experienced parents?

Also, what about a teenage club for the 14 year old children, especially on the Victory? We have allowed our teen to invite a friend on this cruise. Next cruise will probably be a group cruise, and therefore, we would not do it, but this one, it just fell into place.

Thanks for the info,

Archived