Swim with dolphins: PV or Sea World SD?

JC Butterfly

I have always wanted to have the chance to swim with dolphins. I am planning a trip to California next year and will stay in San Diego for a couple of days. The swim with dophin program at Sea World looks pretty great!

But the one in Puerta Vallarta looks like a lot of fun too.

Anyone able to compare the experiences for me?

Is one better than the other? (price not being a factor)

I live in San Diego and as far as I know the Sea World Dolphin swim is only held in a small pool with in Sea World. You are given a wet suit and are able to get in the pool with the dolphins and feel them, learn and give commands ect. Personally I wouldn't pay for it. My kids did a dolphin swim in Cozumel and it was wonderful. The were in the ocean - although it was netted off, and were able to "really" swim, be pulled, hold a pole for them to jump over and be pushed through the water with the dolphins nose. I think that the PV trip is similar but Check it out on PV Insider. mY FAMILY ALSO CRUISED TO pv BUT WHILE THERE WE CHOSE A WILD DOLPHINS TRIP WITH SOME BIOLOGISTS THAT TOOK US INTO THE BAY TO FOLLOW AND BE WITH THE PODds of wild dolphins that live there. Very COOL.

I did the dophin swim in PV about four years ago. It is highly regimented - you don't just get to jump in the water and interact as you like. The participants get into the water in small groups, all with life vests on, which does limit your mobility, and you do what the trainer tells you to do. The dolphins are not really forced to do anything they don't want to. In about a half hour's time, I got close enough to pet them several times and all the participants got one chance to be pulled by one dolphin the length of the pool. I also got smacked on the leg by a tail, accidentally, I'm sure, which left quite a bump! All in all, I'm very glad I got to do this; it was something I've always wanted to do, but just be aware that it isn't just a free swim time with Flipper!

For a truly memorable dolphin experience, hold out for an opportunity to swim in an area where the dolphins live and swim free. I have been fortunate enough to have had this experience twice in Kealakekua Bay on Big Island, Hawaii, sharing their environment and watching them as they live naturally, not captively. You do not interact with them or interfere, rather watch them in breathtaking awe. If you respect them, they do likewise. After that experience, I could never want to see or be with them as captives. They require open waters to live healthily and naturally.

• 1 month later...

You may want to ask some questions about Dolphin Swims at any place besides Sea World. I did their dolphin swim in Orlando. It was fabulous. But, it was before they relocated it to Dolphin Cove for a "swim only" pool. I loved it so much that our next cruise I did the dolphin swim at Cozumel. I was floored to learn that they capture dolphins for their swims. Sea World only uses dolphins born in captivity or rescued and not able to be returned to the wild.

I am an animal lover but not a PETA type fanatic,,,,but hearing that they specifically go "hunting" when they need more dolphins gave me the creeps!!

My friend and I will be cruising to Mexico in November and the other day we were going over the shore excursion list and she was talking about maybe doing a swim with the dolphins. First, we live in Kona and second, she did a swim with the dolphins on Oahu and was very disappointed because you have this big life jacket on and there really is no "swimming" involved except a part where you hang on and they swim across the "lagoon".

So... since she was already disappointed in this before, I asked her why the heck she was even thinking about trying it again when she could go down to Kealakeukua Bay any day of the week and who knows, there may be dolphins there and you may be able to see them and hear them. (She wants to be able to put her head under the water and hear them).

I still think she's nuts.

Emi

• 4 weeks later...

The "Swim with Dolphins" programs have spawned an industry of fishermen capturing dolphin to sell to the operators. Quite often the surplus are slaughtered. The public demand is what is fueling this horrific practice and the public's refusal to support the programs is the only thing that will stop it. Even swimming with them in the wild in organized programs is being questioned by some marine biologists since it can result in harrassment. Dolphin have a 60 mile range in the wild and the extent of their intelligence has not been determined. Is it fair for us to infringe on their freedom? Believe it or not, I'm not a PETA type person either but the more I learn about these programs the less I want to support the industry.

• 2 months later...

I think this needs a little bump as there is much discussion about these Swim with Dolphin programs. These animals are so intelligent that scientists are not sure just how smart they are. There have been estimates that they're as intelligent as a human 5 year-old! I hope people really do some homework and make a good decision as to whether or not they can support this industry.

My friend and I will be cruising to Mexico in November and the other day we were going over the shore excursion list and she was talking about maybe doing a swim with the dolphins. First, we live in Kona and second, she did a swim with the dolphins on Oahu and was very disappointed because you have this big life jacket on and there really is no "swimming" involved except a part where you hang on and they swim across the "lagoon".

So... since she was already disappointed in this before, I asked her why the heck she was even thinking about trying it again when she could go down to Kealakeukua Bay any day of the week and who knows, there may be dolphins there and you may be able to see them and hear them. (She wants to be able to put her head under the water and hear them).

I still think she's nuts.

Emi

Emi, I agree that going to Kealakeukua Bay is great but also going up to Waikiloa is really good. I have swam with the Dolphins there numerous times. I know these dolphins are happy if they were not, I doubt they would keep having young ones:p

I did the swim with the dolphins in Cozumel 2 years ago and was so very dissappointed. I was expecting it to be as good as Waikoloa and it was terrible and dolphins looked to very sad. After that experience I doubt I would do it in Mexico again because I think they are all owned by the same company.

Archived