Shopping

bookdoctor

You are better off taking the ferry to Hamilton, about 45 minute ride. That is were the best shopping is. I always make sure I buy irish linen calendar towels at the Irish Linen Shoppe on Front St in Hamilton. I also have started a collection of wedgewood and always buy one piece while I am there.

Goslings rum is another thing to buy, there are 2 stores on Front St.

I have the same question. What do folks bring back from Bermuda??? I love to shop at grocery stores for local jams, coffees, packaged cookies, etc. to bring to folks back home and would like to know if there is one near Kings Wharf.

There are no grocery stores at King's Wharf so you are better off going to Hamilton. However you will find that grocery stores carry a large selection of food from the US rather than 'local' items - Bermuda is only 20 sq. mi so doesn't have a lot of agricuture.

However there are homemade jams available at one or two tourist stores in Dockyard and Hamilton but for real 'local' flavour the jam you want is Loquat. If you see a store with jam ask if Loquat jam is available. I had never heard of loquats until I went to Bermuda so the jam is something I doubt you'll find back home.

Other Bermuda food/drink items: Black Seal Rum, various types of fish, lobster (if in season), rum cakes, ginger beer, and while it's not exactly Bermuda-only Coca-Cola has a small plant in Bermuda so the cans will note that it is "bottled in Bermuda". Other soft drinks are imports.

Don't miss the Bermuda rum cakes. They are delicious. They come in different flavors: Banana, Chocolate, Pina Colada, Regular Rum flavor, etc. They are very popular with visitors to Bermuda. I always bring a few home to family and friends, and everyone raves about them. Gosling's Rum is definitely another popular purchase. You'll find plenty to spend your money on. Have a great time!

Thanks everyone, that is excatly what I was looking for. Love to bring local goods home from our travels. Thanks again. Vick

PS Is there a grocery near the pier?

I bought a Bermuda angel while in Bermuda last month. It's made out of different leaves and nuts from the island. It will have a special place on my Christmas tree.

would love to get one - do you remember where you purchased it?

You can buy them at Carol Holdings studio in either Hamilton or St George. I think you can also get them at the craft center out at the dockyard. I also have a large one that stands on a table.

Well, the shopping Queen is going to be a little disappointing this year...many of the stores have closed like Smith's in Hamilton and Pollys in St. George...but for china or collectibles Blucks has an incredible selectiion. there is also a Bermuda Rum cake in a little store in St. George.. plus things with the Bermuda Onion theme.. and Xmas ornanaments made with Bermuda Pink Sand.. Real Swizzle Inn fantatics know that there is a new t-shirt design every year, the Dockyard has many Bermuda themed t-shirts as does I thnk Flying Colours in Hamilton and the Linen Shop has beautiful items... and best of all... memories..memories of a wonderful little island, helpful Bermudians and a feeling of peacefulness and sorrow as you sail back home.and you will be going back.... Have a Bermudaful Day

Archived