Lots of Questions about Disney cruise and traving with children

Melody80

We are booked to saill July 23th for a 4 nigth cruise. 20 some odd people in my family will be going. Unfortunatly my Husband cant make it. Im really worried about traveling with our two small children with him. My daughter is 18 months and my son is 3. We will have to fligh in from Houston. Ive never been on a plane with kids before and could use any tips you have in that department. Also how will be getting from the airport to the boat. We booked through Disney so Im guessing some kind of shuttle. Will I need to be bring a car seat?

Do they have highchairs on the boat? I figured they would have them in the dinning rooms but will they have any available at the buffets?

Are there refrigeraters in the room? I had read someone say they brought an ice chest to keep drinks cool in the room but on Disneys website it says that isn't allowed. I also read here that you could bring snacks and sodas on board but again on Disneys site it says they wont let you. :confused:

Do they have port a cribs on board or will I need to bring my Pack and Play?

Other than the typical baby stuff is there anything I should be sure to bring?

Howdy,

If you booked a complete package through DCL you should have a bus transfer. CALL to ask about this!! They do have buses to take you from the airport to the port, but it doesnt come automatically, you must purchase it. I do believe for the planr and bus both you will need car seats at least for the youngest one.

When we flew with little ones I packed a special back pack for them filled with healthy snacks and a new book or coloring book, something to do with disney. A tiny etch a sketch and lots of tiny things like that to occupy them. They couldnt open it until we got in the air. That may not work as well for your youngest one but the 3 year old should be ok with it to pass time. Keep it all a surprise so it will all be new.

Yes there are high chairs at the buffet and all restaurants. Wait staff if excellant with kids too. Booster seats are by the entrance to the theater and the movie theater too.

They do provide the port a crib, but again you must request it with your reservation. so call and do it now. They onlyhave a certain amount of them on board. No extra charge for them.

There is a small frig in the room. It is cool, but NOT cold. You can request a bucket of ice from your stateroom host if you want. No need to bring pop along, there is now a free drink station on deck 9 that is open 24/7. It also has milk, hi c coffee, iced tea and hot tea. Pop is free there and in the restaurants, but if you order it in a club or lounge you will be charged for it. People just go to deck 9 and take a cup there to all the clubs or shows instead of buying them.

If you order something fromt hemenu for the little one they will puree it upon request too. They do NOT have microwaves for heating stuff up though.

Hope this helps some

mom x4,grandma x4

I almost forgot,

bring lots of swim diapers and sun block fo rthe kids. One of the mickey ears is reserved for kids who are NOT potty trained. But they must wear swim diapers and it is right out in the sun. They sell swim diapers on the ship but they are very expensive and sell out quickly, so bring plenty. Kids just love playing in those water jets.

mom x4,grandma x4

We are booked to saill July 23th for a 4 nigth cruise. 20 some odd people in my family will be going. Unfortunatly my Husband cant make it. Im really worried about traveling with our two small children with him. My daughter is 18 months and my son is 3. We will have to fligh in from Houston. Ive never been on a plane with kids before and could use any tips you have in that department. Also how will be getting from the airport to the boat. We booked through Disney so Im guessing some kind of shuttle. Will I need to be bring a car seat?

Do they have highchairs on the boat? I figured they would have them in the dinning rooms but will they have any available at the buffets?

Are there refrigeraters in the room? I had read someone say they brought an ice chest to keep drinks cool in the room but on Disneys website it says that isn't allowed. I also read here that you could bring snacks and sodas on board but again on Disneys site it says they wont let you. :confused:

Do they have port a cribs on board or will I need to bring my Pack and Play?

Other than the typical baby stuff is there anything I should be sure to bring?

Take a deep breath and relax! My mom went without my dad on our last Disney cruise, and she had an 18 month old and a 6 year old. I always suggest bringing some snacks for the plane as well as some coloring books or activity books for the 3 year old.

Disney makes the transfers REALLY easy. No need to worry about the checked luggage, because they'll get it from the airport and deliver it to your cabin. You'll find DCL reps easily at the airport because they have big Mickey hands. They'll take you to the ship on a DCL bus. No carseat is needed on the bus.

Highchairs are available in the buffet and in the restaurants. Also, the cabins have fridges, so theres no need for a cooler. You can bring snacks on the ship, though you won't really need them (there's PLENTY of food all day long). Also, drinks are available for free all day long at on the pool deck. They also have cribs onboard.

Oh good all that sounds great!

Do they have juice boxes or Milk bottle through room service or anything? The reson I was wondering about the fridge is for middle of the night/ early morning wake ups. My kids wake up thirsty and I didn't want to have to dress eveyone to leave the cabin just to get a drink. Same with small snacks. Will I be able to order crackers, dry cereal, or something from room service or take snacks back with me from the buffet so the kids will have something in the room? Is there a charge for room service?

How do stollers work in an airport? Will I have to check it with my luggage or can I bring it on the plan with me. I have an unbrella stoller but its alittle bigger than the $15 ones at walmart.

Ya'll are really great. Im kinda freaking out about all this and its nice to know I can come here and ask some experiance travlers what to expect. Thanks a bunch for helping me out and calming me down. Im sure Im gonna have a ton more questions!

• 2 weeks later...

Room service is free, but a tip is always appreciated. I just came back from a seven-day cruise today, and I spent half an hour trying to figure out how to work the fridge. It doesn't cool things down, it only keeps cold things cold. I cruised on Magic; they have a plan where you can have Evian bottles delivered to your room. I assume they do the same on Wonder; I don't know which you'll be on. Either way, the water is delivered at room temperature, so you're going to have to have ice delivered to keep it cold. And, the Deck 9 drink station also has ice water. There are four different kinds of pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken tenders, french fries, ice cream - pretty much everything little kids like to eat - available all the time on Deck 9. I don't know what the kids' menu is like in Lumiere's/Triton's, Parrot Cay, and Animator's Palate, but there were seven young children who dined next to my family, and I didn't hear a single complaint from one of them the whole week. Relax, the cruise is a lot of fun, and it's your vacation! The only annoyance I came across was the day we boarded. You are required to take your carry-ons with you to lunch (either at Parrot Cay or Topsider/Beach Blanket Buffet). Depending on when you arrive, there will be a wait for Parrot Cay. However, it's worth it, because you may not be able to find a table at the Buffet. Just remember that you're going to have to lug your carry-ons with you. And, be sure to pack your dress and cosmetics or whatever else you may need for dinner. Sometimes luggage arrives late, and you don't want to go to Lumiere's dressed in shorts and a t-shirt!

I've never been on a Disney cruise (but I am considering it for next year), but I do have some general comments that may help. I wouldn't bring anything bigger than an umbrella stroller with you on the trip. Cabins on most ships (I did sail RCCL about 10 years ago) are pretty tight for space and a larger stoller may not fit or just make precious space even more tight(er). I flew with my now 8 year old when she was just 1 year old. We flew on Southwest Airlines from Baltimore to Chicago, and while I could not bring the umbrella stroller into the aircraft cabin (no place to store it), they did check it for me at the gate in Baltimore, placed it in the cargo hold, and returned it to me at the gate in Chicago. I don't know who you are flying, but you can always ask at the gate about checking the stoller so that you can pick it up at the gate in Orlando. I think most airlines are accomodating on this.

In addition to swim diapers, you may also want to pack a couple of plastic diaper covers. At our local pool here at home, they require the covers to help with the water quality of the pool. In addition, if your child does make a mess that ends up leaking, it is contained in the diaper cover and won't leak into the pool.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your trip.

Try to time it so the kids can nap on the plane, or at least the younger one. Try not to have too much to carry around the airport - did that once with a two-year-old, and it was a big pain. Try to meet up with the rest of your family at the port terminal so someone without kids can carry some of your stuff on the ship and help at the restaurant or to bring you some food while you relax at the pool with the kids. You can put in your room service breakfast order the night before, with a time range for delivery.

• 2 weeks later...
I've never been on a Disney cruise (but I am considering it for next year), but I do have some general comments that may help. I wouldn't bring anything bigger than an umbrella stroller with you on the trip. Cabins on most ships (I did sail RCCL about 10 years ago) are pretty tight for space and a larger stoller may not fit or just make precious space even more tight(er). I flew with my now 8 year old when she was just 1 year old. We flew on Southwest Airlines from Baltimore to Chicago, and while I could not bring the umbrella stroller into the aircraft cabin (no place to store it), they did check it for me at the gate in Baltimore, placed it in the cargo hold, and returned it to me at the gate in Chicago. I don't know who you are flying, but you can always ask at the gate about checking the stoller so that you can pick it up at the gate in Orlando. I think most airlines are accomodating on this.

In addition to swim diapers, you may also want to pack a couple of plastic diaper covers. At our local pool here at home, they require the covers to help with the water quality of the pool. In addition, if your child does make a mess that ends up leaking, it is contained in the diaper cover and won't leak into the pool.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your trip.

Cabins on the Disney ships are slightly larger than other ship and if you booked a Cat 10 or higher you have the added feature of split bathrooms - one has a tub and sink and the other has a sink and stool.

If your stroller does not store comfortably in your cabin your steward will store it for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Melody80:

Well, my son (he is 4) will be taking his third cruise soon and, we fly quite frequently to Grandma's. So, here are a few things that helped me. First, definitley try to work it out so that they try and sleep on the plane. And, as the plane takes off/lands I suggest letting both children drink something. The sucking helps with the pressure. I recommend highly what is called a "sit and stroll". I have used it and it is great!! It converts from a carseat, to a booster seat to a stroller. I saw one on my first cruise and "had to have it". Here is one website for Walmart that I found for it cheaper - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3656756, but you can do a search and find tons of places that sell it now. The great thing is that you can stroll your little one around (harnessed in), and then it can be taken on the plane and put right into the seat. I actually found that when I brought the seat on board (unless the plane was completely full) then I could have a seat for my infant son even though he was non-paying. A great feeling to not have a lap child. On the cruise it was wonderful too for napping and dining and quickly could fold down and just sit on the couch in the room. Of course, because of the cost, if this will be your only flight/cruise for along time then I would stick with the umbrella stroller (or a folding sit/stand stroller-if you have it) and use the highchairs provided. They will check the umbrella stroller at the gate and then you get it on the gangway as you exit the plane.

Second, I strongly suggest buying a "swim diaper". This is a plastic diaper (not just a cover). I had to have one for my son's swim lessons when he was small, and then didn't know how I had ever traveled without it. That way you only have to pack the one and not have a ton of little swimmers. No need to wear a diaper under it or anything.

Third, for snacks and drinks in the room for early morning, late night, etc. I just pick up extra individual milk cartons in the morning at the buffet and extra individual cereal boxes (Cherrios of course being the fav) and brought them back to the room for whenever needed. I hope the Wonder has these, our other cruises had them. I recommend calling room service on your first day as well and seeing if they can bring you some individual snack items/milks to your room. Then that way you can have a supply on hand so you won't have to run to deck in the late night or early morning. In other words, I would not worry about bringing them with you (except for on the plane). Also, I brought an insulated sport bottle/sippy cup for him and would fill it up with juice on deck and put it in the fridge for when needed.

And, finally, relax and definitely enjoy!! Sorry, if it is too much info, but I just wanted to put my 108 cents worth in..LOL!

Archived