Juneau Questions

maryland

My husband & I have been to Juneau before and are interested in doing some things out of town this time. We would like to visit the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery, the Alaskan Brewery, and the Glacier Gardens. Would it be better to rent a car to visit these places or should we do taxis and buses?? Thanks

My husband & I have been to Juneau before and are interested in doing some things out of town this time. We would like to visit the Macaulay Salmon Hatchery, the Alaskan Brewery, and the Glacier Gardens. Would it be better to rent a car to visit these places or should we do taxis and buses?? Thanks

The easiest way to go to the Salmon Hatchery and the Alaskan Brewery is by bus. You can take a bus from downtown. The bus heads from downtown to a hospital. You cross the highway and walk a short distance to get to DIPAC. It costs $1.50 pp per trip . You can take the bus from DIPAC to Anka Drive, then walk a bit to the Alaskan Brewery. Plus, after sampling 5 beers at the Brewery, you may not want to be driving a car :rolleyes: ...

The Brewery was really fun. One of the employees, Tony, gave the tour and he was both entertaining and informative. Enjoy an Alaskan Summer Ale!

With 3 stops and going by city bus, you would need a long port day. The buses are convenient but slow going and not real frequent. Can get to all three locations easily via bus. Pick up is on Franklin, across and down from the Red Dog at the shelter.

A car rental would maybe make better use of time. Consider Rent A Wreck as they shuttle downtown, most if not all of the majors do not. Pay for downtown drop off if available and you have a late port day, since their office closes at 6pm.

With 3 stops and going by city bus, you would need a long port day. The buses are convenient but slow going and not real frequent. Can get to all three locations easily via bus. Pick up is on Franklin, across and down from the Red Dog at the shelter.

A car rental would maybe make better use of time. Consider Rent A Wreck as they shuttle downtown, most if not all of the majors do not. Pay for downtown drop off if available and you have a late port day, since their office closes at 6pm.

**We're in Juneau from 7am-6pm. BQ-Wondering with the long port time if the car would be the way to go. I know when we were there last time my brother & SIL used the bus for everything but they just did Mendenhall and the brewery. Rent-A-Wreck does have availability the day we're there.

Archived